2L Deciding Between In-House v. Holding Out For a Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L Deciding Between In-House v. Holding Out For a Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:04 pm

I'm a 2L at UCLA and currently below median (if current trends continue I will likely be at least above median by the end of this year). Didn't get anything through OCI, but recently got an offer for a paid in-house position with one of the major movie studios here in Los Angeles. There is also a good chance it could continue part time through 3L. I love working in entertainment and always assumed entertainment law doesn't exist so I feel relieved to have something and lucky to have an offer in a field I love. BUT the pay isn't great, and there's no guarantee that it will turn into a full time job. There are attorneys that they have hired right out of school after an internship (after the recession hit) but it's a toss-up as to whether I would also be so lucky. The studio has not given me much time to consider the offer either. The other things I have on my plate right now are:

-2 Callbacks for paid in-house entertainment positions (one of which pays significantly more than the position I currently have an offer for)
-1 Callback with a small firm that does workers compensation

Is it worth it to hold out for a small/mid-size firm position? On the one hand, I feel like it would be foolish to turn down an offer when I have no other guarantees, but on the other hand working for a firm during 2L summer is traditionally the best thing a law student can do. Career services hasn't really been any help (all their answers are very vague) but they do insist that small and mid size firms will continue to hire through the March/April. Would other employers look down on me if I work for a firm that does something considered "shitlaw"?

I know this was a bit of a rant, but i really appreciate any advice that you can offer, particularly those of you who have any insight into hiring.

Anonymous User

Re: 2L Deciding Between In-House v. Holding Out For a Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:06 am

how are you at interviewing?

if you're not bad at it, i would try to get an extension and go to your other callbacks.

also, not all small firms do shitlaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:56 pm

From what I understand, small/medium firms for 2L might just put you in the same position as the in-house: unclear about your employment after graduation.

So if that's the case, you should take the offer with in-house. If it's a big company (seems like it is from what you said), then they'll have more connections or networking than your smaller firm, and it might look more prestigious on your resume if you do 3L OCI (then again, could look less practical than doing a firm thing).

I think the guaranteed offer is better and you can always try for small/shit/medium law during 3L if you don't get a full-time offer from the in-house studio.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:03 pm

Accept and renege if something better comes along.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:25 pm

One of my friends spent his 2L summer at Fox Legal (basically consisted of hunting down YouTube infringements). He didn't get a full-time offer. But your situation may be different since, as you said, you are at UCLA and can work during the year.

I would accept the in-house entertainment position, just to take a load off your mind. Then you can focus on school, kick ass on finals and get your grades up before 3L.

MBeezy11

Postby MBeezy11 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Take the in house position. Hopefully, it affords you the opportunity to make connections with senior lawyers who can help you find a firm position. Also, if your company does a lot of work with a specific firm they may want to hire you. Firms value in house work especially if they have a high opinion of the GC. I did something similar my 2L summer and got a firm offer out of it. Another 2L who worked with me did the same thing and got V10 out of it.

Return to “Legal Employment”