AHH taking both CA and NY bar

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pierced

AHH taking both CA and NY bar

Postby Pierced » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:13 pm

I want to start in a NY firm then eventually switch to CA where I grew up. Has anyone taken both bars, and if so, what was your timing and how painful was the process? Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: AHH taking both CA and NY bar

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:28 pm

You can't take both at the same time, even if you were willing to fly across the country. Doesn't look like you're trying to, considering the "eventually" switching. CA suggests 10 months for c&f (crazy but that's what they say) and if you take a July bar, don't expect to be sworn in until December, so start planning about a year and a half before you are thinking of making the switch.

Pierced

Postby Pierced » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:26 am

Thanks!

Do you have to retake the MBE for Cali?
-and-
Any idea if most top firms allow you to delay your start date until late February (instead of the usual October) in order to take a second bar exam? I'd rather not have to study for CA while working.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:57 am

wouldn't something like this raise red flags with firms? you're basically telling them your exit strategy before you start working...
i get that most people leave after a few years, but it seems a little foolish/premature to be planning all of this before you even work.

Return to “Legal Employment”