Bad Grades + Job

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bad Grades + Job

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:23 pm

Hey,

So I attend a school outside the Top30. I was incredibly fortunate enough to land a job (~100k) with subpar grades at a fairly large firm. (through a connection)

I was wondering what impact those grades will have on my future employment (transferring firms, etc)?

How long I need to stay at the firm to "cancel out" my grades?

Any advice helps!

NoleinNY

Re: Bad Grades + Job

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Unlikely.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:39 pm

OP here

Unlikely based on experience?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:42 pm

As a 3L with a job at a T30-50, my personal feeling is that grades matter will still matter to an extent for those who did not graduate from a top school. Until you make partner level, of course. For graduates of top schools, I can see how grades don't matter because they already have the pedigree, but for non-top schools, you don't have a pedigree without grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:50 pm

OP again.

Agreed, that definitely makes sense.

When does experience in the field start to matter? Let's say in 5 years, if for some reason, I realize that this specific firm-life is not suited for me, would a potential firm hold my grades (from 5 years ago) against me?

Note: I was fortunate enough to get onto LR and Moot Court, even with these grades. I'm hoping that counts for something.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the advice!

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP again.

Agreed, that definitely makes sense.

When does experience in the field start to matter? Let's say in 5 years, if for some reason, I realize that this specific firm-life is not suited for me, would a potential firm hold my grades (from 5 years ago) against me?

Note: I was fortunate enough to get onto LR and Moot Court, even with these grades. I'm hoping that counts for something.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the advice!

I base it off anecdotal evidence and the following reasoning: Grades and LR are a big deal because they are the few identifiers available to potential employers about why you would be a good lawyer. You have lr, and a job. After working a few years, other employers now have your first job as a judge of your abilities (+ LR).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks for the advice NoleinNY!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:05 pm

I have heard, anecdotally from about 10 attorneys, that after the first 2 years your grades really don't matter much, and that after 5 they are basically unimportant for all but the most prestigious jobs... and even then they don't really check GPA, they just look for things like cum laude and LR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:57 pm

Thanks for the advice spleen!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the advice spleen!

No prob. 1L if it makes any difference in how you take the advice.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:45 am

I have nothing but anecdotal advice, but my sibling works at a biglaw firm and has told me that the longer you work, the less relevant they are. Once you start to get some real experience in a relevant area, that is what your next employer is more focused on. The less experience you have, the more they default to grades.

Congrats on the job BTW, that is some good stuff!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks for the advice Grayman!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:56 pm

I think it depends on the firm. I know someone who was working at a tiny patent shop. He was recently working through a recruiter who sent his resume around, and some BigLaw firms turned him down because his law grades were low while others simply did not care and wanted to interview him immediately.

He also said that the mid-sized firms didn't even ask for transcripts!

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:59 pm

I'm a second year associate in a midlaw type firm in a secondary market, and as far as I can tell, your work experience eventually becomes most important. Law Review and honors will still be a plus, but if you had mediocre grades but were able to practice at a high level for a number of years successfully, you've proven you have what it takes.

Return to “Legal Employment”