What should I ask for salary?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What should I ask for salary?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:47 pm

Interview coming up and I'm sure if it goes well etc..., I'll have to discuss compensation. Since all I've done throughout 1L and 2L is unpaid internships, I need to know what I can ask for. Symplicity has many job postings for law clerk positions etc..., and general consensus I saw there is that most firms pay between $18-$25/hr, with some paying $14-$18 (that was the lowest I could see).

Anyways, this is a federal employees union, so not a law firm, a branch of the SEIU. If anyone has worked for a large organization like this (like a union), what is a reasonable salary to ask for? Unless I hear otherwise, I was thinking that I would just range it from $18-$25 and let them decide.

Anonymous User

Re: What should I ask for salary?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interview coming up and I'm sure if it goes well etc..., I'll have to discuss compensation. Since all I've done throughout 1L and 2L is unpaid internships, I need to know what I can ask for. Symplicity has many job postings for law clerk positions etc..., and general consensus I saw there is that most firms pay between $18-$25/hr, with some paying $14-$18 (that was the lowest I could see).

Anyways, this is a federal employees union, so not a law firm, a branch of the SEIU. If anyone has worked for a large organization like this (like a union), what is a reasonable salary to ask for? Unless I hear otherwise, I was thinking that I would just range it from $18-$25 and let them decide.

I was paid $20/hour working part-time my 2L year at the NTEU in a pretty big city if that helps.

Anonymous User

Re: What should I ask for salary?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:21 pm

Omg yeah that really helps. I'm so hoping that, if everything goes well, I could make around $20/hr. $800 a week for non-biglaw 2L summer wouldn't be so bad at all. Could pay a lot of bills. lol.

Btw, did you find working at the union useful for post-3L employment?

Return to “Legal Employment”