tracking firm departures

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

tracking firm departures

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:51 pm

any tool to track this? my firm recently lost 5 senior associates, two of whom were my favorites.
LinkedIn is of limited use. But what I really want to get a handle on is who's going where in a particular practice group within a handul of firms.

There has to be a central data clearinghouse tracking all this, no?

Anonymous User

Re: tracking firm departures

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any tool to track this? my firm recently lost 5 senior associates, two of whom were my favorites.
LinkedIn is of limited use. But what I really want to get a handle on is who's going where in a particular practice group within a handul of firms.

There has to be a central data clearinghouse tracking all this, no?

nevermind: lawshucks.com

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:56 pm

interesting site

i wonder how complete it is

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:29 pm

I've never seen LawShucks before, but from doing a few searches for departures I know about (friends, etc.), it's very incomplete. As far as tracking goes, Google News should pick up lateral movement as it happens (search your firm once a week, say, and you'll probably see nearly all of the departures and arrivals), but I'm not sure if there's a way to track movement over time.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:30 pm

Cavalier wrote:I've never seen LawShucks before, but from doing a few searches for departures I know about (friends, etc.), it's very incomplete. As far as tracking goes, Google News should pick up lateral movement as it happens (search your firm once a week, say, and you'll probably see nearly all of the departures and arrivals), but I'm not sure if there's a way to track movement over time.

Ha, I was typing almost the exact same thing. +1 to this.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
Cavalier wrote:I've never seen LawShucks before, but from doing a few searches for departures I know about (friends, etc.), it's very incomplete. As far as tracking goes, Google News should pick up lateral movement as it happens (search your firm once a week, say, and you'll probably see nearly all of the departures and arrivals), but I'm not sure if there's a way to track movement over time.

Ha, I was typing almost the exact same thing. +1 to this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:13 am

looks accurate enough for partners.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:55 am

I have had a daily google alert for my firm for over a year. It has never picked up just associate movement. It does pick up partners. Am I doing this wrong? Should I be searching every week as well?

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:03 am

sunynp wrote:I have had a daily google alert for my firm for over a year. It has never picked up just associate movement. It does pick up partners. Am I doing this wrong? Should I be searching every week as well?

That's because no one cares about associates and associates movements, as it isn't newsworthy. You're doing nothing wrong.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:59 am

Why do you want to know about firm departures? At this point you can do absolutely nothing to change it.

EDIT: I assumed you are a student waiting to start at the firm trying to track this information.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:20 am

Unitas wrote:Why do you want to know about firm departures? At this point you can do absolutely nothing to change it.

EDIT: I assumed you are a student waiting to start at the firm trying to track this information.

For 2Ls and 3Ls headed to firms, I can think of two good reasons to track departures. First, if you felt close to particular attorneys, it's useful to know if they leave the firm. Second, it's good to make sure your firm isn't experiencing significant departures, such as with Dewey. Although switching firms probably isn't possible now, you can plan for an escape, e.g. by clerking.

Return to “Legal Employment”