follow up after govt. position rejection

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

follow up after govt. position rejection

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:32 pm

I am a 2L with a 3 gpa (below median) and no job. I had two interviews with two different federal government agencies and today I received rejections from both agencies. The interviews were following a screener and lasted around 2/2.5 hours.

Since there isn't an HR/recruiting person, but the actual attorney who was my contact, how can I ask for follow up? I want some feedback from the interviews specifically what I can improve on, but at the same time I wonder if it's just my crap grades. I realize this is easier done for big law firms with a recruiting person, but should I even ask for feedback from the attorneys of a govt. agencies (or is that not done)?

Also, what should I write in my email back to them - thank you for the opportunity, I enjoyed my meeting with everyone? ... These were my only "call back" style interviews and have no idea what to do now.

Geetar Man

Re: follow up after govt. position rejection

Postby Geetar Man » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:06 am

I think you may be over thinking it. They are just like any other firm that has rejected you, so email the person who you had direct contact with in the interview and ask him your questions. At worst, he thinks you're annoying (highly doubtful). At best, he thinks that you're truly interested in bettering yourself; a great quality in a person. Further, they'll see that you're not just some other person who was denied and left it at that, which I bet most people do. You're looking to improve yourself, and your interviewing skills, something I believe most people aren't doing after being denied. Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”