Foley and Lardner GPA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ljsmith2

Foley and Lardner GPA

Postby Ljsmith2 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Anyone know if F&L have a gap cut off for summer associates? Interested in Mke office.

Kaves

Re: Foley and Lardner GPA

Postby Kaves » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:42 pm

Ljsmith2 wrote:Anyone know if F&L have a gap cut off for summer associates? Interested in Mke office.

At UW Madison it is 20% or higher to interview with them, with Moot Court or LR given extra preference. I would assume it would be higher for lower ranked schools and lower from some other very highly ranked schools.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Kaves wrote:
Ljsmith2 wrote:Anyone know if F&L have a gap cut off for summer associates? Interested in Mke office.

At UW Madison it is 20% or higher to interview with them, with Moot Court or LR given extra preference. I would assume it would be higher for lower ranked schools and lower from some other very highly ranked schools.

Generally top 40% at my T14 for a major market office. I assume Mke is similar, but you would need a good story as to why Mke.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:15 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Kaves wrote:

Generally top 40% at my T14 for a major market office. I assume Mke is similar, but you would need a good story as to why Mke.

This would be my guess as well. F&L is seen as "top dog" in Wisconsin (though reasonable people can disagree), so with such a small class size I would think that GPA requirements would vary year-to-year depending on who wants to go to Wisconsin. Regardless, I would be surprised if they couldn't find 7-8 people from good schools with good grades that want to come there. This would lead me to guess that most people going there would be in the top third of their class or so from a lower T14 whereas it gets more flexible going up the rankings and less flexible going down the rankings.

My understanding is that they also place weight on having a demonstrable interest in Wisconsin and also journal work to help distinguish candidates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:19 am

Generally top-20% gets you an interview at my T30 school. This corresponds to something like 3.4-3.5

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
Kaves wrote:At UW Madison it is 20% or higher to interview with them, with Moot Court or LR given extra preference. I would assume it would be higher for lower ranked schools and lower from some other very highly ranked schools.

This would be my guess as well. F&L is seen as "top dog" in Wisconsin (though reasonable people can disagree), so with such a small class size I would think that GPA requirements would vary year-to-year depending on who wants to go to Wisconsin. Regardless, I would be surprised if they couldn't find 7-8 people from good schools with good grades that want to come there. This would lead me to guess that most people going there would be in the top third of their class or so from a lower T14 whereas it gets more flexible going up the rankings and less flexible going down the rankings.

My understanding is that they also place weight on having a demonstrable interest in Wisconsin and also journal work to help distinguish candidates.

A good friend of mine is summering there. From what I hear, the class is almost entirely Wisconsin+Northwestern+Chicago, with a few other T14 kids who are originally from Wisconsin.

Return to “Legal Employment”