Non-Art. III (but Fed) clerkship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Non-Art. III (but Fed) clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:12 am

I'm doing a non-Art. III federal clerkship next year (think of one of those courts you've probably never heard of until you looked through OSCAR). I have pretty much no shot at an Art. III clerkship based on grades, so I was wondering: will this clerkship help much, if at all, in getting an Art. III one?

Any and all personal anecdotes, rumors, and opinions welcome and encouraged.

Thanks in advance.

son_of_ben

New

Re: Non-Art. III (but Fed) clerkship

Post by son_of_ben » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:25 pm

Not what you asked for... but do you mind sharing rank of school, class rank, journal, ect.? And if you had any background in the field (e.g. Tax, Bankruptcy, International Trade;assuming your are not with a federal magistrate). Also, if you applied through OSCAR, or had another connection.

I am interested in going this route (because I am no lock for an Art. III clerkship) and any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:57 pm

son_of_ben wrote:Not what you asked for... but do you mind sharing rank of school, class rank, journal, ect.? And if you had any background in the field (e.g. Tax, Bankruptcy, International Trade;assuming your are not with a federal magistrate). Also, if you applied through OSCAR, or had another connection.

I am interested in going this route (because I am no lock for an Art. III clerkship) and any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi ben,

All you need to know is that, statistically, I seemingly had a 0% chance. The judge I am working for explicitly told me during the phone call in which (s)he offered the position that the reason I got it was because I had 4 of "the best LORs [(s)he] had ever seen." I cannot overstate how important LORs have been to me. They were absolutely what got me the position.

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:01 pm

Anecdote:
Magistrate Judges are not Art. III.
Many people do 1-year with a Mag, then go clerk for District Court.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”