Fed Courts/Clerkship Chances

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fed Courts/Clerkship Chances

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:58 am

Will a good grade in fed cts boost your clerkship chances if you are otherwise outside of a judge's range? E.g. Judge who only takes top 10-15% of the class, you are in the top 25% with an A- in Fed Courts. Does the answer change for less competitive judges? state court judges?

vamedic03

Re: Fed Courts/Clerkship Chances

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Will a good grade in fed cts boost your clerkship chances if you are otherwise outside of a judge's range? E.g. Judge who only takes top 10-15% of the class, you are in the top 25% with an A- in Fed Courts. Does the answer change for less competitive judges? state court judges?

That's extremely unlikely to make any difference.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:45 am

I never even took fed courts and I have a district ct clerkship

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:21 pm

ya I wouldn't worry about it. Many don't even take fed courts until later, or at all. You're doing well and I'm sure you'll be fine.

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Generally I think you're better off GPA-protecting by not taking it until 3L.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:05 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Will a good grade in fed cts boost your clerkship chances if you are otherwise outside of a judge's range? E.g. Judge who only takes top 10-15% of the class, you are in the top 25% with an A- in Fed Courts. Does the answer change for less competitive judges? state court judges?

Maybe booking the class might help a little, but isn't an A- in that class pretty much expected of anyone in the running for a federal clerkship?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:12 pm

The knowledge I gained by taking fedcourts has helped me exactly zero times during my CoA clerkship.

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:00 pm

SBL wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Maybe booking the class might help a little, but isn't an A- in that class pretty much expected of anyone in the running for a federal clerkship?

Well I got a B+ and quite a few interviews and a couple coa offers, so I'd have to say the answer is no. I think it's kind of understood that, especially at a really great school, more than half of a fed courts class may be federal clerk material, so getting an average grade isn't a huge indictment of your abilities. I don't know, maybe that's just my post-hoc rationalization of my B+ and no one actually sees it that way.

Return to “Legal Employment”