heavy patent docket clerk, taking questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: heavy patent docket clerk, taking questions

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Great thread! Thanks so much for posting!

What made you decide to become so patent litigation oriented? What is the advantage of clerking with a patent-heavy USDC judge, and what is the advantage of clerking on the Fed. Cir.? What will these things do for your carer, and what do you want to do with your career?

I come from a Bio background and will be working at Quinn/Irell/Boies this summer. I'm somewhat interested in patent lit because I like science and enjoy my patent class, but do I risk pigeon holing myself by working on exclusively patent cases at the firm? I've heard the patent group can suck you and never let you go, because they need all the bodies they can get. Will this limit exit options into other fields - do the US Attorney Offices hire former patent litigators? Is DOJ's IP section a place you would consider going?

You mentioned the patent bar and an "AIA" requirement for litigators coming up - what is this? I was under the impression I would not need to take the patent bar to litigate.

Thanks again, this is hugely helpful and you seem to be very clear 8)

IRP/PRG work. And it is only a portion of pat lit. Same as interference practice pre-AIA. I would try to take the patent bar.

Thanks for answering. I don't know what these terms you are using mean. I don't know what "IRP/PRG" is - international something? What is AIA - the Leahy Smith Act? Tried Googling briefly but do not have the time now; feel free to leave ignore if easy to find.

If no one else is asking, I figure I'll ask this one: I know one of the judges in NDCal hires one "patent clerk" to focus on the patent cases. Is this common for patent heavy judges? Ideally I'd like to work on a wide range of stuff including patent, but if this is the case that might be hard to do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for answering. I don't know what these terms you are using mean. I don't know what "IRP/PRG" is - international something? What is AIA - the Leahy Smith Act? Tried Googling briefly but do not have the time now; feel free to leave ignore if easy to find.

If no one else is asking, I figure I'll ask this one: I know one of the judges in NDCal hires one "patent clerk" to focus on the patent cases. Is this common for patent heavy judges? Ideally I'd like to work on a wide range of stuff including patent, but if this is the case that might be hard to do.

ipr/pgr

yeah most d.ct. judges handle their own crim, and in patent heavy dockets the patent cases consume so much time that they end up being the main event. i dont know what "other stuff" you want to do. but i would advise against working in edtx/ndcal/cdcal/wdwisc/edva/ddel if you want to work on non-patent cases.

realtimeoblivion

Postby realtimeoblivion » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:18 pm

How much value is there in pre-law school employment experience? I have a technical background and worked in tech for 4 years, but nothing law-related. One of my classmates worked as a patent examiner, another is working as a patent law clerk now, and a third was a patent agent before law school. Will it make a big difference? Or does it still all come down to grades etc?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:11 pm

I will be starting at a V20 this fall that does a fair amount of patent litigation (but not any prosecution). The partners at my firm who do mostly patent litigation almost uniformly did NOT do a district court clerkship. A few did clerkships with the Fed Circuit. This is in contrast to other litigation partners, many of whom did district court clerkships. Should I infer that a district court clerkship just isn't as important for patent litigators as it is for other kinds of litigators?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:51 pm

realtimeoblivion wrote:How much value is there in pre-law school employment experience? I have a technical background and worked in tech for 4 years, but nothing law-related. One of my classmates worked as a patent examiner, another is working as a patent law clerk now, and a third was a patent agent before law school. Will it make a big difference? Or does it still all come down to grades etc?

Thanks!

I'd say there is very little value. Parties usually have tech tutorials for the judge, and generally make things manageable for most judges/clerks without tech bg.

The highest value, I think, is comfort with technology, patent law, and litigation - combo.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I will be starting at a V20 this fall that does a fair amount of patent litigation (but not any prosecution). The partners at my firm who do mostly patent litigation almost uniformly did NOT do a district court clerkship. A few did clerkships with the Fed Circuit. This is in contrast to other litigation partners, many of whom did district court clerkships. Should I infer that a district court clerkship just isn't as important for patent litigators as it is for other kinds of litigators?

D.Ct. isn't "important" for litigation in general. Most ppl can do fine without. It's just an added perk and a useful experience. 3rd/4th year associates at run of the mill big law firms don't know any "less" than their peers who clerked. Someone once told me that a district clerkship right out of law school places one at a skill-level comparable to a third year associate; i.e. you get two years worth of value in one. I don't know about that. There are skills you pick up in a big law firm which you just cannot in a clerkship, e.g. discovery. So you are behind your non-clerking peers in some ways, but you're ahead of them in others. But I just think a district clerkship a much better way to spend your first year out of law school for mentorship-related reasons. Also, if you want to lateral into govt later on, it absolutely helps.

Return to “Legal Employment”