Which firms pay extra for MBA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Which firms pay extra for MBA?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:02 pm

Anyone have any updated info on this question? Also, if firms are still paying MBA bonus, I have a couple follow up questions:

-is there a standard amount?
-do firms consider how you got the MBA (e.g., JD/MBA as four year program, three year program, or MBA pre-law school)?

Thank you
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any updated info on this question?

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed. For example, Goodwin Proctor's website still says that they pay a signing bonus to JD/MBAs.
Anonymous User wrote:-is there a standard amount?

I would be surprised if the amount had changed much since a few years back, and a few years back it appeared to be something like $20,000.

To be clear, I'm not sure that the signing bonus was ever the same amount everywhere that it was offered, and I think most firms don't pay this signing bonus (and never did). But a few do.
Anonymous User wrote:-do firms consider nuisances of the situation (e.g., JD/MBA as four year program, three year program, or MBA pre-law school?)

100% laughed out loud at "nuisances." Nuances, I assume? I don't actually know, but I would be shocked it made a substantial difference. I'd expect that an MBA is an MBA as far as law firms are concerned.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:35 pm

Nuances, I assume?

OP here :oops:
Thanks for the link. I was wondering if pursuing litigation could mess up any potential bonus. Interesting that Goodwin doesn't foreclose that opportunity.

"JD/MBA’s who choose to become litigators will protect the interests of our business law clients – and much more. You will have opportunities to pursue cases that interest you, and to work on precedent-setting issues involving patent litigation, white collar crime, and products liability."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:18 pm

Skadden gives a year bump for a MBA even if you got it pre-law school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Skadden gives a year bump for a MBA even if you got it pre-law school.

I think this is more common than signing bonuses. Kirkland does the same thing.

Return to “Legal Employment”