Which firms pay extra for MBA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which firms pay extra for MBA?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:54 pm

Which firms Pay extra for an MBA? How much?
Which ones pay second year scale?
Is that just for one year, or permanently?

LawIdiot86

Silver

Re: Which firms pay extra for MBA?

Post by LawIdiot86 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which firms Pay extra for an MBA? How much?
I will have an MBA, CPA, and LLM and in all my recruiting travels I have never heard of a firm giving credit or extra pay for any of those credentials short of PhD or Tax LLM (very rare still) or patent bar (also very rare).

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:19 pm

Not sure about salaries, though I have heard rumors of such deals. I do know that certain firms do seem to express some hiring interest though.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:47 pm

Paul Hastings and Goodwin Proctor pay a 20k bonus to JD/MBA

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:48 pm

Firms that pay extra for a MBA usually give a MBA sign on bonus in the 20k range in addition to the first year salary. I don't remember which firms do this but I was interested in this a few years ago and seemed like that's the norm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mountaintime

Bronze

Post by mountaintime » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:54 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Which firms Pay extra for an MBA? How much?
what is your LLM in? i would think that you'd go tax if you have an MBA.
I will have an MBA, CPA, and LLM and in all my recruiting travels I have never heard of a firm giving credit or extra pay for any of those credentials short of PhD or Tax LLM (very rare still) or patent bar (also very rare).
edit: don't know why my text didn't show up. i take it you have a tax llm? that's a ton of degrees. are firms still hiring tax llms?
Last edited by mountaintime on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:02 pm

Not sure why you are quoting that, because as earlier mentioned, its wrong. Some, though only a few, do pay extra for a JD/MBA.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:58 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:Not sure about salaries, though I have heard rumors of such deals. I do know that certain firms do seem to express some hiring interest though.
Is it just me, or did the content of that link seem condescending?

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:59 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:Not sure about salaries, though I have heard rumors of such deals. I do know that certain firms do seem to express some hiring interest though.
All of their HR page headers struck me that way. Not sure why they went with that theme.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:01 am

NoleinNY wrote:
Maybe to people who only have a JD and are gonna be behind in the learning curve. MBA definitely helps big time in business law but it's also a flight risk factor.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:08 pm

Several firms offer second year status to JD/MBAs from top programs. This is usually established either through a relationship with the program, or a case by case negotiation after you get an offer after your 2L SA.

A few firms listed above do have specific recruiting programs where there is a specific bonus.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:58 pm

Every JD/MBA that I know well was able to negotiate an additional bonus or other compensation as a first year associate with various firms.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:00 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Every JD/MBA that I know well was able to negotiate an additional bonus or other compensation as a first year associate with various firms.
It's ancient, but http://www0.gsb.columbia.edu/students/o ... mbasur.htm says otherwise.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:17 pm

@Lawidiot86: I think that you are misreading this survey. According to my reading, the survey confirms that almost all JD/MBA hires were given second year status & pay in their first year with these biglaw firms. Seems like additional compensation to me. Am I missing something ?

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:21 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:@Lawidiot86: I think that you are misreading this survey. According to my reading, the survey confirms that almost all JD/MBA hires were given second year status & pay in their first year with these biglaw firms. Seems like additional compensation to me. Am I missing something ?
Hmm, yeah. I didn't equate second year status as being as good as a bonus because it just cuts one year off the ladder of up and out, you're right that it is a perk.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:23 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Every JD/MBA that I know well was able to negotiate an additional bonus or other compensation as a first year associate with various firms.
It's ancient, but http://www0.gsb.columbia.edu/students/o ... mbasur.htm says otherwise.
This is outdated. Lots of firms that did negotiate scaled back after hiring took a nose dive. Several firms which did not offer advanced standing on this list now do in some cases.

I think many of the V5 either never offered, or no longer offer, advanced standing or additional bonuses for JD/MBAs.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:31 pm

Of the 23 law firms that responded to the survey cited by LawIdiot86, only 5 do not confirm additional compensation to newly hired JD/MBAs. 18 of the 23 firms did give extra compensation to newly hired JD/MBAs including :

Second year status in both pay & progression at:

Brobeck
Cahill Gordon
clifford chance
Debevoise
Morrison Foerster
Paul Weiss
Simpson Thacher
Skadden
Sullivan & Cromwell
Weil Gotchal
White & Case

Second year status at:

Akin Gump
Cleary Gotlich
Mayers Brown & Platt
Shearman & Sterling

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:56 am

So the question is how did LawIdiot not visit any of these 18 firms during all his recruiting travels with his MBA, CPA, and LLM?

Do law firms offer these bonuses but only secretly as in you have to ask for them or what. The two don't reconcile.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:27 am

Morgan12Oak wrote:So the question is how did LawIdiot not visit any of these 18 firms during all his recruiting travels with his MBA, CPA, and LLM?

Do law firms offer these bonuses but only secretly as in you have to ask for them or what. The two don't reconcile.
that study is old. some of the firms no longer exist.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:17 am

Morgan12Oak wrote:So the question is how did LawIdiot not visit any of these 18 firms during all his recruiting travels with his MBA, CPA, and LLM?

JD/MBA != JD and MBA. LawIdiot seemed to imply he got the MBA before starting law school for some other reason. Firms probably won't reward this. The focus is likely on those that are doing a four year JD/MBA program.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:06 am

englawyer wrote:

JD/MBA != JD and MBA. LawIdiot seemed to imply he got the MBA before starting law school for some other reason. Firms probably won't reward this. The focus is likely on those that are doing a four year JD/MBA program.
I interviewed with 7/18 and none mentioned it, nor has my CSO mentioned it. I suspect it is because of the reason englawyer mentions. Still thrilled I won the biglaw lotto, but just trying to make sure I don't leave any money on the table.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:13 am

ran12 wrote:Firms that pay extra for a MBA usually give a MBA sign on bonus in the 20k range in addition to the first year salary. I don't remember which firms do this but I was interested in this a few years ago and seemed like that's the norm.
It used to be a lot more, and now it's a lot rarer.

The fact that it used to be a thing, though, really makes me wonder about the conventional wisdom that firms don't trust JDMBAs.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:11 am

Yet many, probably most, biglaw firms are (or are in the process or have already) restructuring to be run as more efficient businesses---something that those with both JD & MBA degrees should be able to understand & implement.

Also, JD/MBAs should be able to readily relate to client concerns.

Regardless, law firms are primarily seeking sheer brain power & incredible work ethic in their hires so preference probably won't be given to dual degree holders unless equal in brain power, work ethic & fit.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:16 am

Many firms still give bonuses, at least big NY firms. Every JD/MBA I know is getting not only advanced standing/pay, but also a bonus ranging from toke ($15k) to clerkship ($50k).

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:42 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Yet many, probably most, biglaw firms are (or are in the process or have already) restructuring to be run as more efficient businesses---something that those with both JD & MBA degrees should be able to understand & implement.

Also, JD/MBAs should be able to readily relate to client concerns.

Regardless, law firms are primarily seeking sheer brain power & incredible work ethic in their hires so preference probably won't be given to dual degree holders unless equal in brain power, work ethic & fit.
This. JD/MBAs are always valuable and are frequently preferable.

In my opinion, if I was an unemployed 3L, I would consider getting an MBA after graduating from law school. Basically, one would take the bar, after graduation from law school, in the same state that person would be entering the MBA program. Then, that person could shop around for employment while simultaneously gaining a valuable credential and being a licensed attorney.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”