Clerkship offer from judge by email- how long to respond?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkship offer from judge by email- how long to respond?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:53 pm

So relieved to have an offer, but was hoping to talk things over with my family. A day's not too long is it?

Citizen Genet

Re: Clerkship offer from judge by email- how long to respond?

Postby Citizen Genet » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:07 pm

1. You probably mean an internship, not a clerkship. (In the judicial context, a clerkship is post-graduation employment and an internship is summer employment.)

2. A day is probably not too long, but you should not leave it hanging out very long. Standard advice is that you should very rarely say no to a judge, absent a compelling reason. There shouldn't be too much you need to talk over other than determining if you have a very compelling reason to say no. (There are exceptions to this, and some people disagree with this as standard advice, but it's the best route in my opinion.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:1. You probably mean an internship, not a clerkship. (In the judicial context, a clerkship is post-graduation employment and an internship is summer employment.)

2. A day is probably not too long, but you should not leave it hanging out very long. Standard advice is that you should very rarely say no to a judge, absent a compelling reason. There shouldn't be too much you need to talk over other than determining if you have a very compelling reason to say no. (There are exceptions to this, and some people disagree with this as standard advice, but it's the best route in my opinion.)

Thanks. I'm a 3L. It would be a clerkship. (Your assumptions were pretty warranted given the lack of detail I provided and how frequently people use clerkship, externship, and internship interchangeably on her. My bad for being unclear.)

I'm pretty sure I'll accept; it's just with some unexpected health issues arising over the last few weeks everything feels so uncertain so I was hoping to wait until tomorrow morning so I can speak to my family tonight. I'd still be able to accept approximately 24 hours after the offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Two things:

1.) My judge made the offer on Monday afternoon and gave me until Wednesday (I assumed COB his time) to decide. I was uncomfortable letting it sit overnight, so I went for a run, called my wife, got her sign-off, and called back within maybe two hours.

2.) You might be more comfortable letting it sit overnight. No big deal, but I'd definitely email the judge back with your timeline. Emphasize that you need to get the OK from your spouse and/or kids and will respond first thing in the morning.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Oh, congratulations! That's great news for you! And thanks for avoiding a snarky response about my assumption. Agreed with the above anonymous.

If you don't mind PMing me details about your clerkship, I'd be much obliged. If not, I can understand the desire for anonymity. (I like knowing what judges hire late, hire out a year, etc.)

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:49 pm

School? Grades?

LittleJenn

Postby LittleJenn » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:28 pm

If you're willing, I'd appreciate a PM with details as well. Thanks, and congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:35 pm

It's not federal and not state supreme.

Return to “Legal Employment”