Following up with a firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273494
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Following up with a firm

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:25 am

1L writing this. I interviewed w/ a biglaw firm 2 weeks ago, and haven't heard anything back yet. I have an offer for a judicial externship that I need to decide on by Friday. I'm assuming the firm gig probably is a ding, given that it's been a little while w/ no word, but I would hate to accept the externship w/o being sure that I didn't get the firm job. Is it okay to call the firm and let them know the situation? What should I do?

Thanks.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Following up with a firm

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:1L writing this. I interviewed w/ a biglaw firm 2 weeks ago, and haven't heard anything back yet. I have an offer for a judicial externship that I need to decide on by Friday. I'm assuming the firm gig probably is a ding, given that it's been a little while w/ no word, but I would hate to accept the externship w/o being sure that I didn't get the firm job. Is it okay to call the firm and let them know the situation? What should I do?

Thanks.


Call the judicial externship for an extension, then call the firm recruiting director and let them know if you can't get one. The firm will probably ask you what the other offer is, you should expect that a judicial externship probably won't hold much weight or make any difference.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273494
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Following up with a firm

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:49 am

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1L writing this. I interviewed w/ a biglaw firm 2 weeks ago, and haven't heard anything back yet. I have an offer for a judicial externship that I need to decide on by Friday. I'm assuming the firm gig probably is a ding, given that it's been a little while w/ no word, but I would hate to accept the externship w/o being sure that I didn't get the firm job. Is it okay to call the firm and let them know the situation? What should I do?

Thanks.


Call the judicial externship for an extension, then call the firm recruiting director and let them know if you can't get one. The firm will probably ask you what the other offer is, you should expect that a judicial externship probably won't hold much weight or make any difference.


Thanks for the response. I can't get an extension. I'm not expecting it to make a difference. I guess I'm just wondering how to let the firm recruiter know..?

"Hi, I interviewed w/ your firm 2 weeks ago. I am still very interested in the position, but I have another offer that I have to decide on by Friday." .... Then what?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Following up with a firm

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks for the response. I can't get an extension. I'm not expecting it to make a difference. I guess I'm just wondering how to let the firm recruiter know..?

"Hi, I interviewed w/ your firm 2 weeks ago. I am still very interested in the position, but I have another offer that I have to decide on by Friday." .... Then what?


I would really like to work at your firm because of ... ... ... (be substantive), so I would like to know if a decision on my candidacy would be reached by Friday?

Then see where it leads. They obviously liked you enough to bring you in, but it's very competitive so it probably won't make a difference one way or another. At least you would be more informed, and you showed initiative and preference.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273494
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Following up with a firm

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:19 pm

Call the hiring partner and explain why you would be a great fit for the firm. Also let them know about your upcoming deadline.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Following up with a firm

Postby daesonesb » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:16 am

I would say this warrants a call.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.