Study Abroad during 1L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273367
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Study Abroad during 1L

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:55 pm

When we are told to go "do something legal" for our 1L summer, does this pretty much exclude study abroad? I feel like our admissions office talks up study abroad to get us here, but then our career services warns us not to do it..

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Study Abroad during 1L

Postby ph14 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When we are told to go "do something legal" for our 1L summer, does this pretty much exclude study abroad? I feel like our admissions office talks up study abroad to get us here, but then our career services warns us not to do it..


Studying abroad and working abroad are different. Studying abroad is pretty much taking classes, but working abroad is working a legal job in another country. As long as you're getting legal experience, working abroad is fine.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Study Abroad during 1L

Postby rad lulz » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:59 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Study Abroad during 1L

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When we are told to go "do something legal" for our 1L summer, does this pretty much exclude study abroad? I feel like our admissions office talks up study abroad to get us here, but then our career services warns us not to do it..


You probably don't want to "study" during the summer, is the issue. You can do it 2L or 3L if you don't have a year-long commitment in your journal. Summers you want work experience.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273367
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Study Abroad during 1L

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:27 pm

I had a legal job in London during my 1L summer. It actually worked out really well because it was a unique experience and made for some interesting conversation during my 2L summer interviews. Keep in mind that if its is unpaid, travel and living expenses are a nightmare. Also, if your job is set up as part of a school program, they'll probably make you take a class (and charge you for the credits).

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Study Abroad during 1L

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:03 pm

Outside of London, I generally noticed that people who did 1L summers abroad underperformed at OCI. It certainly did not give them a boost for the extra hassle, despite giving them an awesome story about Turkish/Indian/French law.

User avatar
LogicalBaozi
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:44 am

Re: Study Abroad during 1L

Postby LogicalBaozi » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:36 am

Disclaimer: 0L here.

Based on what other posters have said, and as someone interested in working in overseas offices, I don't think it would be helpful unless you are planning on doing your 2L summer abroad in the same region, and are gunning for a career then. If you want to stay in NYC, then having experience abroad doesn't seem to helpful, and as some posters mentioned, might harm you in 2L. Going abroad for the sake of being abroad is probably a poor choice.

If you are planning to go back to the same place for 2L summer and permanent employment, it seems like it might be a good way to show interest and gain familiarity with French/Turkish/Japanese/German/English law, and then be a bonus for 2L positions in the same area.

Any 2Ls want to comment on this?

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Study Abroad during 1L

Postby eandy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:55 am

LogicalBaozi wrote:Disclaimer: 0L here.

Based on what other posters have said, and as someone interested in working in overseas offices, I don't think it would be helpful unless you are planning on doing your 2L summer abroad in the same region, and are gunning for a career then.If you want to stay in NYC, then having experience abroad doesn't seem to helpful, and as some posters mentioned, might harm you in 2L. Going abroad for the sake of being abroad is probably a poor choice.

If you are planning to go back to the same place for 2L summer and permanent employment, it seems like it might be a good way to show interest and gain familiarity with French/Turkish/Japanese/German/English law, and then be a bonus for 2L positions in the same area.
Any 2Ls want to comment on this?

LOL@summer associate jobs abroad. LOL@working abroad post-graduation.

Internships abroad are a tactic used by law schools to get 1Ls jazzed up about going abroad and doing what they think will be super duper important legal things/drinking enough beer to power the fucking wonka mobile. Then, 1Ls won't pester career services about getting an actual summer job when they are swamped with 2Ls and 3Ls.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Study Abroad during 1L

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:17 am

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Study Abroad during 1L

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:25 am

eandy wrote:
LogicalBaozi wrote:Disclaimer: 0L here.

Based on what other posters have said, and as someone interested in working in overseas offices, I don't think it would be helpful unless you are planning on doing your 2L summer abroad in the same region, and are gunning for a career then.If you want to stay in NYC, then having experience abroad doesn't seem to helpful, and as some posters mentioned, might harm you in 2L. Going abroad for the sake of being abroad is probably a poor choice.

If you are planning to go back to the same place for 2L summer and permanent employment, it seems like it might be a good way to show interest and gain familiarity with French/Turkish/Japanese/German/English law, and then be a bonus for 2L positions in the same area.
Any 2Ls want to comment on this?

LOL@summer associate jobs abroad. LOL@working abroad post-graduation.

Internships abroad are a tactic used by law schools to get 1Ls jazzed up about going abroad and doing what they think will be super duper important legal things/drinking enough beer to power the fucking wonka mobile. Then, 1Ls won't pester career services about getting an actual summer job when they are swamped with 2Ls and 3Ls.


I mean, sure it's a longshot, but if you're gunning for London/Tokyo/Hong Kong/Paris biglaw, specifically a V25's office in one of these cities, then doesn't it make the most sense to have a job abroad during 1L summer? Not saying that it's not a pipe dream for 95% of applicants, but certainly someone who went through the effort of actually getting a job in one of these places will be taken more seriously than another candidate without those same ties when those offices are being hired for? I totally buy that it's not gonna help you much for NYC, but it seems a bit disingenuous to say it won't help you if you are looking for associate positions abroad.

And for 95% of schools, it's probably a bit unrealistic to think you'll ever get the opportunity to apply for an overseas job, but there are enough exceptions in the top schools of people getting overseas opportunities that the question, if context were given, isn't completely unreasonable.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Study Abroad during 1L

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:32 am

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Study Abroad during 1L

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:36 am

rad lulz wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:I mean, sure it's a longshot, but if you're gunning for London/Tokyo/Hong Kong/Paris biglaw, specifically a V25's office in one of these cities, then doesn't it make the most sense to have a job abroad during 1L summer?

rad lulz wrote:I can't think of any firms that do traditional 2L recruiting for overseas offices that aren't London.

Furthermore, an actual JOB abroad is okay, assuming it's legal, but I wouldn't study abroad for all of 1L summer.

Fair enough. I don't have enough information to counter this and I assume it's legit. Seems like most of the people who end up in Asian markets do so after being in the NY office for a bit. I was just trying to point out that it's disingenuous to put out the information that for all people in all scenarios getting a legal job overseas will be a detriment, and I think you and I more or less agree on this.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Study Abroad during 1L

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:40 am

.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.