Can't receive work-study money for summer position if you..

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can't receive work-study money for summer position if you..

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:01 pm

So some of the summer jobs that I have interviewed for may qualify to be funded by work-study at my school. However, when I went to look at the paperwork to fill out one of the things it says is that " I understand that my acceptance of this money precludes me from applying to transfer to another school and if you do, the violation of the agreement will be reported to relevant authorities in any state where I seek admission to the bar"

Is this how it works at other schools? I have already started to send applications for transfer to other schools, so when I read this originally I think I read it wrong. However, now I'm nervous to send in this paperwork in because I don't really know how it works. Let's say they approve me, is that their "acceptance" or do you think they'll send me something that says "you have been approved, do you accept this money?"

I'm not 100% sure if I want to transfer, but I would still like to keep that door open. I know I could ask the fin-aid director about this, but I don't need everyone knowing my business that I may transfer.

LawIdiot86

Re: Can't receive work-study money for summer position if you..

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So some of the summer jobs that I have interviewed for may qualify to be funded by work-study at my school. However, when I went to look at the paperwork to fill out one of the things it says is that " I understand that my acceptance of this money precludes me from applying to transfer to another school and if you do, the violation of the agreement will be reported to relevant authorities in any state where I seek admission to the bar"

Is this how it works at other schools? I have already started to send applications for transfer to other schools, so when I read this originally I think I read it wrong. However, now I'm nervous to send in this paperwork in because I don't really know how it works. Let's say they approve me, is that their "acceptance" or do you think they'll send me something that says "you have been approved, do you accept this money?"

I'm not 100% sure if I want to transfer, but I would still like to keep that door open. I know I could ask the fin-aid director about this, but I don't need everyone knowing my business that I may transfer.

If it's FWS, I imagine the Dept. of Ed could give you an answer at some 800-number helpline. If it's a school-specific program, it would vary from school to school. I imagine that if you transferred and then returned the money, they wouldn't report you.

Anonymous User

Re: Can't receive work-study money for summer position if you..

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:49 pm

I think it probably has to do with the matching funds. For FWS, the employer is supposed to pay some of your salary. At my law school (T10), the school pays the matching part if your employer won't, so that's probably why that's in there.

Return to “Legal Employment”