2012 Entry Level Hiring - Academia

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
twistedwrister
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:02 am

2012 Entry Level Hiring - Academia

Postby twistedwrister » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:52 pm

From --LinkRemoved--

Just the preliminary results.

Y 4
H 13
S 7
Col 3
Chi 3
NYU 11
V 4
M 0
P 2
B 2
D 1
C 1
N 2
G 10

45/80 hires (56%) had clerkships.
57/80 hires (71%) had fellowships / VAPs.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: 2012 Entry Level Hiring - Academia

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:15 pm

twistedwrister wrote:From --LinkRemoved--

Just the preliminary results.

Y 4
H 13
S 7
Col 3
Chi 3
NYU 11
V 4
M 0
P 2
B 2
D 1
C 1
N 2
G 10

45/80 hires (56%) had clerkships.
57/80 hires (71%) had fellowships / VAPs.


Is this in indicator of some weird competence of GULC to place profs or just a result of having so many more students then anyone else?

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: 2012 Entry Level Hiring - Academia

Postby Bronck » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:32 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:
twistedwrister wrote:From --LinkRemoved--

Just the preliminary results.

Y 4
H 13
S 7
Col 3
Chi 3
NYU 11
V 4
M 0
P 2
B 2
D 1
C 1
N 2
G 10

45/80 hires (56%) had clerkships.
57/80 hires (71%) had fellowships / VAPs.


Is this in indicator of some weird competence of GULC to place profs or just a result of having so many more students then anyone else?


Not a perfect analysis, but for the preliminary results, if you divide by class size:

Y 2%
H 2.3%
S 3.9%
Col 0.7%
Chi 1.5%
NYU 2.4%
V 1.1%
M 0%
P 0.8%
B 0.8%
D 0.5%
C 0.5%
N 0.8%
G 2.1% (1.7% if you include PT enrollment)

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: 2012 Entry Level Hiring - Academia

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:35 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:
twistedwrister wrote:From --LinkRemoved--

Just the preliminary results.

Y 4
H 13
S 7
Col 3
Chi 3
NYU 11
V 4
M 0
P 2
B 2
D 1
C 1
N 2
G 10

45/80 hires (56%) had clerkships.
57/80 hires (71%) had fellowships / VAPs.


Is this in indicator of some weird competence of GULC to place profs or just a result of having so many more students then anyone else?


Percentages help context, like poster above provided, but so does knowing that there is going to be a lot of volatility to these results from year to year. A good example: UT has placed 2 so far and Michigan has placed 0 so far. By no means should that be used to show UT is better placing at people in academia than Michigan.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Entry Level Hiring - Academia

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Anyone want to try to do a 3 year or 5 year average for this?

On an unrelated note, what's the overlap like with people who have clerkship and people who have VAPs? E.g., is it either-or (if you don't have one you better have the other), or is it largely the same group of people? Are those who get jobs without a clerkship mostly PhDs?

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: 2012 Entry Level Hiring - Academia

Postby skers » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:20 am

Percentages certainly help. If we could also see how many people from each school applied, compared with how many actually got positions, we'd really be working with something.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: 2012 Entry Level Hiring - Academia

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:25 am

TemporarySaint wrote:Percentages certainly help. If we could also see how many people from each school applied, compared with how many actually got positions, we'd really be working with something.


This data is basically impossible to compile. The only way this could be done is if AALS started doing this every year in D.C.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Entry Level Hiring - Academia

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:35 am

Are those who get jobs without a clerkship mostly PhDs?


The non-clerks are generally PhDs, tax people (most with LLMs), clinical people or foreign hires. You get a handful of domestic non-clerk, non-PhD, non-tax, non-clinical people every year, but it's usually pretty small -- like 10 or so (out of 100+) new hires.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: 2012 Entry Level Hiring - Academia

Postby skers » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:04 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:Percentages certainly help. If we could also see how many people from each school applied, compared with how many actually got positions, we'd really be working with something.


This data is basically impossible to compile. The only way this could be done is if AALS started doing this every year in D.C.


We have this data at least for the t14 in 2011.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: 2012 Entry Level Hiring - Academia

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Are those who get jobs without a clerkship mostly PhDs?


The non-clerks are generally PhDs, tax people (most with LLMs), clinical people or foreign hires. You get a handful of domestic non-clerk, non-PhD, non-tax, non-clinical people every year, but it's usually pretty small -- like 10 or so (out of 100+) new hires.


Could this explain GULC's over-representation? Their huge tax LLM program and massive LLM program in general is loaded with foreign students.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: 2012 Entry Level Hiring - Academia

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:29 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:Percentages certainly help. If we could also see how many people from each school applied, compared with how many actually got positions, we'd really be working with something.


This data is basically impossible to compile. The only way this could be done is if AALS started doing this every year in D.C.


We have this data at least for the t14 in 2011.


Link?

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: 2012 Entry Level Hiring - Academia

Postby skers » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:00 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:Percentages certainly help. If we could also see how many people from each school applied, compared with how many actually got positions, we'd really be working with something.


This data is basically impossible to compile. The only way this could be done is if AALS started doing this every year in D.C.


We have this data at least for the t14 in 2011.


Link?


Sorry I was wrong on the year (not sure if 2011 data is available) but here's 06-08 http://www.concurringopinions.com/archives/2008/05/law_professor_hiring.html

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: 2012 Entry Level Hiring - Academia

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:07 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:This data is basically impossible to compile. The only way this could be done is if AALS started doing this every year in D.C.


We have this data at least for the t14 in 2011.


Link?


Sorry I was wrong on the year (not sure if 2011 data is available) but here's 06-08 http://www.concurringopinions.com/archives/2008/05/law_professor_hiring.html


Wow, this is great stuff; sorry for being a doubter.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.