1L moot court

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L moot court

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:19 pm

Sorry for the anonymous post, but some of this might out me.

Is 1L moot court something that must be done to imporve biglaw prospects for top 10% within the lower half of the T14?

I prefer to do things fully or not at all. So this would mean sacrificing study time for finals. And is going into moot court and going one and out look bad? So many questions, not enough time.

In addition, I am on the board of an organization that is holding a fundraiser I am busy planning. I do like to sleep at night. But I am willing to sacrifice if need be to do moot court.

Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: 1L moot court

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry for the anonymous post, but some of this might out me.

Is 1L moot court something that must be done to imporve biglaw prospects for top 10% within the lower half of the T14?

Must be done? Certainly not. If you're top 10% at T14—even in the "lower half" of the T14—you'll have plenty of biglaw opportunities so long as you're not swimming in awkward.

If, however, you can do something like moot court or a journal while getting top 10% grades, you'll look even better. Also, activities like moot court can help make up for lack of work experience. I think that moot court/journal experience tends to help K-JD types.

But, again, top 10% at a T14 is more than adequate for all sorts of biglaw jobs. You don't need extra stuff. And if you feel there's a significant chance that moot court will pull down your grades during spring semester of your 1L year, then it's probably not worth it.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry for the anonymous post, but some of this might out me.

I prefer to do things fully or not at all. So this would mean sacrificing study time for finals. And is going into moot court and going one and out look bad? So many questions, not enough time.

In addition, I am on the board of an organization that is holding a fundraiser I am busy planning. I do like to sleep at night. But I am willing to sacrifice if need be to do moot court.

Thoughts?

Even if you're top 10% at a T14, you have to do journal because firms are stupid and should do journal because it doesn't start until the end of finals. Moot court would be nice, but if it will in any way endanger your top 10%, don't do it. Most programs let you try again as a 2L, which you should do for tick the box clerkships/fellowships/biggov.

Since you mention it, why are you on the board of a student organization? I'll never forget my peer adviser 1L year when I asked him to rank what things I should do in law school to help me get a job. It went Grades, Grades, Main Journal, Moot Court-Secondary Journal, Secondary Moot Court, Internship, Student Organization. Biglaw does not care at all about student clubs and from what I have seen among my friends, they turn into time-sinks that take away precious 1L study time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:57 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:

Thoughts?

Even if you're top 10% at a T14, you have to do journal because firms are stupid and should do journal because it doesn't start until the end of finals. Moot court would be nice, but if it will in any way endanger your top 10%, don't do it. Most programs let you try again as a 2L, which you should do for tick the box clerkships/fellowships/biggov.

Since you mention it, why are you on the board of a student organization? I'll never forget my peer adviser 1L year when I asked him to rank what things I should do in law school to help me get a job. It went Grades, Grades, Main Journal, Moot Court-Secondary Journal, Secondary Moot Court, Internship, Student Organization. Biglaw does not care at all about student clubs and from what I have seen among my friends, they turn into time-sinks that take away precious 1L study time.

OP here. By on the board, I mean on the board of a legitimate 501(c)(3) non profit organization. It is a local chapter of a nationally known legal related organization.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

Thoughts?

OP here. By on the board, I mean on the board of a legitimate 501(c)(3) non profit organization. It is a local chapter of a nationally known legal related organization.

I am too. Came up in a handful of interview (out of 150+) and only counted for something when I met a partner who was super passionate about lawyers involved in non-profits. Otherwise it was a good conversation filler to skip past my otherwise mediocre grades and didn't do anything. I'd put it in the same league as an internship or maybe secondary moot court.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:59 am

So being on the board of directors at a non- school organization doesn't help at all? Disappointed slightly but ill cut my hours back there to focus on the grades.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:So being on the board of directors at a non- school organization doesn't help at all? Disappointed slightly but ill cut my hours back there to focus on the grades.

It doesn't help; took me a long long time before I found someone who cared about it. Lots of people before him would have cared if my grades were better. Tweak back your time and focus on the grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:06 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So being on the board of directors at a non- school organization doesn't help at all? Disappointed slightly but ill cut my hours back there to focus on the grades.

It doesn't help; took me a long long time before I found someone who cared about it. Lots of people before him would have cared if my grades were better. Tweak back your time and focus on the grades.

Thanks for your advice. I'm aiming for v10 firms (3 specific firms because of practice area). So grades over moot court and the board it is

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:00 am

I think 1L moot court does help somewhat. Firms generally like to see that you do a lot of extracurriculars. Not a huge boost, but it's another thing to talk about in those horribly awkward screeners, and likely to be a box checked off on whatever checklist your interviewer has.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:20 am

1Ls can only be given trivial MC roles at my school, so it would do nothing to help you. If you have the chance to do a competition or something serious though, it might be worth it, but you risk jeopardizing your grades for a relatively minor resume line.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:56 pm

SBL wrote:1Ls can only be given trivial MC roles at my school, so it would do nothing to help you. If you have the chance to do a competition or something serious though, it might be worth it, but you risk jeopardizing your grades for a relatively minor resume line.

This is what i thought OP was talking about. My school had a 1L moot court comp, which firms liked seeing on resumes.

Return to “Legal Employment”