Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tangerine Gleam

Re: Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Party on, good for Quinn. Given how inefficient and weird the OCI process can be, I'm glad that they're shaking things up.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:15 pm

IMO it's a trick to get people to commit to them before OCI because they have a well earned sweatshop reputation.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:IMO it's a trick to get people to commit to them before OCI because they have a well earned sweatshop reputation.

That would be my guess too. Also, I didn't interview with them at OCI, but all the reports from friends who did was that their interviews were super weird and some found them a total turn-off.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:49 pm

NinerFan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Given how absurd these kinds of receptions are when callbacks aren't even at stake (think 10 gunners gathered around 1 partner fighting tooth and nail for the opportunity to ask him about how much "substantive responsibility" junior associates get), I can't imagine what these Quinn things will be like. I would love to be a fly on the wall just for the sheer entertainment value.

Yeah, having gone to these types of receptions, I have never derived any sort of "entertainment value" from them unless you count my vivid fantasies of punching certain fellow students at the reception in the face.

This was somewhat my experience. I feel like people are imaging a casual meet-and-greet/networking type scenario, but 1L spring receptions are more like crazed meat markets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:11 pm

Here's my take on what this is all about, knowing quite a bit about QE:

first, it doesn't seem THAT different from the 1L receptions firms already host; I guess the only difference is resumes are passed on afterwards now?

second, I think their motivations for doing this are as follows: 1. snipe top candidates, 2. have fun.

Bill Urquhart was known for showing up to interviews back in the day in sandals and a hawaiian shirt, and Quinn for renting out a room for a party. It kinda sounds like they're going back to the olden days of recruiting.

edit: I'll also add that being "extreme Type A" doesn't guarantee success in a social setting or a QE callback. A lot of type A people are annoying as fuck and this will be a good way to discover that. The QE associates I know tend to be able to talk and are actually cool.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:27 pm

There is no way they will be doing any sort of meaningful evaluation of the students who show up to the parties. They're going to be utter shit shows, with gunner kids falling all over themselves to impress. Quinn has to know this and can't honestly believe they'll get a chance to assess anyone. All this means is that they'll check your name off an attendance sheet and then call you back based on your transcript. Which is fine, but it will actually be a more formulaic process, not some super-cool individualized "let's really get to know you" thing.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:30 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:There is no way they will be doing any sort of meaningful evaluation of the students who show up to the parties. They're going to be utter shit shows, with gunner kids falling all over themselves to impress. Quinn has to know this and can't honestly believe they'll get a chance to assess anyone. All this means is that they'll check your name off an attendance sheet and then call you back based on your transcript. Which is fine, but it will actually be a more formulaic process, not some super-cool individualized "let's really get to know you" thing.

Right. Unless they send a ton of attorneys, it's going to be a handful, maybe 10 at most attorneys dealing with like 100+ students, depending on the school. It will be unbearable for many students to watch their classmates fall over each other to suck up.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:33 pm

NinerFan wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:There is no way they will be doing any sort of meaningful evaluation of the students who show up to the parties. They're going to be utter shit shows, with gunner kids falling all over themselves to impress. Quinn has to know this and can't honestly believe they'll get a chance to assess anyone. All this means is that they'll check your name off an attendance sheet and then call you back based on your transcript. Which is fine, but it will actually be a more formulaic process, not some super-cool individualized "let's really get to know you" thing.

Right. Unless they send a ton of attorneys, it's going to be a handful, maybe 10 at most attorneys dealing with like 100+ students, depending on the school. It will be unbearable for many students to watch their classmates fall over each other to suck up.

100+!?!? I was barely expecting that many at the combined Chicago/NU event.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:47 pm

bdubs wrote:
NinerFan wrote:

There were well over 100 students, and about 5 attorneys, at a White & Case NY spring 1L reception at UVA my 1L year. UVA has a larger student body, but considering it wasn't an official part of the recruiting process like this is supposed to be, I can only imagine what it'll look like.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:33 pm

bdubs wrote:
NinerFan wrote:

Well, the class sizes at these places are like, at least 200 right? Harvard has 500 or 600. The 1L's only have 1 semester of grades, so a lot of people think they have a shot at it. There's free food/drink at this, so even if you're not interested, why not go?

100 people or so seems like a conservative estimate unless they are size limitations to the event.

camelcrema

Postby camelcrema » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Any speculation as to why they're skipping CLS/NYU? Seems as easy to cover as Chi/NW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:24 pm

NinerFan wrote:
bdubs wrote:
NinerFan wrote:

Well, the class sizes at these places are like, at least 200 right? Harvard has 500 or 600. The 1L's only have 1 semester of grades, so a lot of people think they have a shot at it. There's free food/drink at this, so even if you're not interested, why not go?

100 people or so seems like a conservative estimate unless they are size limitations to the event.

At HLS, this thing would be huge. It's not so much that a lot of people think they have a shot at it, but that a lot of people do have a shot at it; Quinn's cutoff is not super high (I want to say it was 4 H's, anecdotally) and they give callbacks to over half the people they interview at HLS. There were over 60 students at the CB dinner alone, so I definitely imagine that there'd be way more at the 1L reception.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:56 pm

I believe the Quinn LA cut off at NWern is 3.6. which is maybe top third? 30%ish.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At HLS, this thing would be huge. It's not so much that a lot of people think they have a shot at it, but that a lot of people do have a shot at it; Quinn's cutoff is not super high (I want to say it was 4 H's, anecdotally) and they give callbacks to over half the people they interview at HLS. There were over 60 students at the CB dinner alone, so I definitely imagine that there'd be way more at the 1L reception.

From what I gather, they really like HLS - I believe I've read statements about the biggest contingent at the firm being Harvard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:17 pm

camelcrema wrote:Any speculation as to why they're skipping CLS/NYU? Seems as easy to cover as Chi/NW.

One would assume that most 1L's would attend this thing (free booze/food + jobs) thus it would be very hard to do both NYU/CLS at once since they would have to be prepared for around 400-500 attendees (that would be if about half from each attended). Such a reception would have to be in a huge venue, which in NYC is not going to be cheap and would require a lot of lawyers to attend and since CLS/NYU won't send more than 20-25 combined to Quinn (of the elite firms, they aren't super popular at CLS/NYU, you hear Boies/Cravath/DPW/S&C/etc. thrown around way more than Quinn), that is a lot of money and time to spend on people who most likely wouldn't apply anyways. Doing two separate events might be less unwieldy, but less cost effective and probably still prohibitively expensive for how many people from CLS/NYU are qualified and will eventually go to Quinn. HLS is worth it because they send a ton of people to Quinn and also its HLS and they are in Boston where such events have to be cheaper.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Quinn is accepting resumes starting June 1 and says they will commence sending callback interview invitations shortly thereafter. They are also promising to leave offers open "through the 2012 fall on-campus recruiting process so [applicants] can weigh [their] options".

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:50 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:Also, am I the only one who thinks it is bizarre that top firms feel they aren't getting the best talent? I was talking to a partner at an NLJ250 firm/regional vault who was saying they got 1,000 applications for 4 summer slots. The kid in the top 5% at HLS IS smarter then the kid in the top 30% at HLS and then the kid in the top 5% at GW or American. That kid has performed better on metrics like the LSAT and in the high pressure environment of law school and will do a COA clerkship. But for the work given the average first year associate, even at a firm like Quinn, there will be almost no difference in the work quantity or quality of the four hypothetical students I just described. This sort of hiring mentality is like hiring a jumbo jet to carry 10 people or buying a mack truck to tow a trailer home; they'll never actually use him to the level that his greater ability will make a difference.

They're not hiring you for the work you'll do as a first year. They're hiring you for the work you'll hopefully do as a 4th/5th/6th year.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
camelcrema wrote:Any speculation as to why they're skipping CLS/NYU? Seems as easy to cover as Chi/NW.

One would assume that most 1L's would attend this thing (free booze/food + jobs) thus it would be very hard to do both NYU/CLS at once since they would have to be prepared for around 400-500 attendees (that would be if about half from each attended). Such a reception would have to be in a huge venue, which in NYC is not going to be cheap and would require a lot of lawyers to attend and since CLS/NYU won't send more than 20-25 combined to Quinn (of the elite firms, they aren't super popular at CLS/NYU, you hear Boies/Cravath/DPW/S&C/etc. thrown around way more than Quinn), that is a lot of money and time to spend on people who most likely wouldn't apply anyways. Doing two separate events might be less unwieldy, but less cost effective and probably still prohibitively expensive for how many people from CLS/NYU are qualified and will eventually go to Quinn. HLS is worth it because they send a ton of people to Quinn and also its HLS and they are in Boston where such events have to be cheaper.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Quinn will continue to recruit on campus for CLS/NYU, also. So, no loss.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
Yale: March 27 at 6:30 pm
Harvard: March 28 at 6:30 pm
Chicago & Northwestern: April 5 at 6:30 pm
Berkeley: April 10 at 6:30 pm
Stanford: April 11 at 6:30 pm

Blatant CLS, NYU, Michigan, UVA, Penn, Cornell, Georgetown & Duke trolling

Chicago and NorCal are two of their growing offices (mostly for IP litigation).

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:01 pm

rayiner wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:

Chicago and NorCal are two of their growing offices (mostly for IP litigation).

Quinn's Chicago office is tiny (12 attorneys total, 3 partners). They don't appear to have had a summer associate the past two years, and most of their associates appear to be either laterals or office transfers. I kind of doubt that they are putting on this event just to recruit for the Chicago office.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:13 pm

Fuck. I was hoping they would change their mind.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:16 pm

Just go. Quinn doesn't care about personality. If you GPA is good enough you get auto offered.

I think Quinn is the reason YHS is big law secure, and why top 20% at t14 is big law secure.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Just go. Quinn doesn't care about personality. If you GPA is good enough you get auto offered.

I think Quinn is the reason YHS is big law secure, and why top 20% at t14 is big law secure.

Is this for all of their offices, or just NYC?

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Just go. Quinn doesn't care about personality. If you GPA is good enough you get auto offered.

Demonstrably untrue. Anecdotally I know people at NYU at 5-20% who did not get offers from Quinn, who had offers from multiple other places including lit shops. Fair amount of callbacks given though, they seemed to be wanting more than grades, but what that something was I can't say.

pjo

Postby pjo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:55 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:

ATL is misinformed. UVA is among the schools they are doing this with. April 12.

Return to “Legal Employment”