Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd say they're looking for two things: good grades, and evidence that you would fit in with the firm culture.


Thanks. I understand your reluctance to reveal your location, but I was wondering if you could provide some general info re:this summer's class. How many people are there summering in each office? The new NALP site doesn't have any info on QE and I can't find the information from the old site anywhere.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Anyone have info about whether any Quinn offices are looking for 3Ls?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd say they're looking for two things: good grades, and evidence that you would fit in with the firm culture.


Thanks. I understand your reluctance to reveal your location, but I was wondering if you could provide some general info re:this summer's class. How many people are there summering in each office? The new NALP site doesn't have any info on QE and I can't find the information from the old site anywhere.


Hmm... if they haven't reported it that might be for a reason, so I'll stop short of listing numbers, but will say the classes are generally pretty large this year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:47 pm

Havent been rejected yet, super surprised.

Did you guys get info via email after you applied?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:04 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:Thats INSANE, and exactly what scares me about our grade process. I hope it was an error!


And indeed it was en error. They thought I was applying for this summer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:58 pm

Any more thoughts on what QE is looking for in callbacks? Things to avoid saying - like, I only want to work here because I love wearing sandals? They have a written questionnaire which asks typical interview questions in some detail, and although I'm being completely honest in my answers (genuinely think it will be the best fit for me based on culture, etc.) I'm not sure how to strike the right balance between being upfront and not looking like I'm just saying what I think they want to hear. But since they do seem to put some effort into distinguishing themselves, I don't want to waste the opportunity to gush about them a bit and show that I get it.

Also, are Quinn people more direct/less cagey and diplomatic in the recruiting process than those other firms, and does this affect how you should present yourself in the interview process?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:59 pm

Only have a few points of reference, but my QE callback was entirely ordinary. My questionnaire seemed to be primarily for determining my interviewers based on interests. Wasn't asked questions about it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any more thoughts on what QE is looking for in callbacks? Things to avoid saying - like, I only want to work here because I love wearing sandals? They have a written questionnaire which asks typical interview questions in some detail, and although I'm being completely honest in my answers (genuinely think it will be the best fit for me based on culture, etc.) I'm not sure how to strike the right balance between being upfront and not looking like I'm just saying what I think they want to hear. But since they do seem to put some effort into distinguishing themselves, I don't want to waste the opportunity to gush about them a bit and show that I get it.

Also, are Quinn people more direct/less cagey and diplomatic in the recruiting process than those other firms, and does this affect how you should present yourself in the interview process?


Don't say stupid stuff (like "I only want to work here because X"), but I assume you know that. I vote that you be upfront and write what you like about the firm, especially if it evinces knowledge about the firm. If it isn't obvious by now, the firm prides itself on certain things. I think it's safe, good, to say you're looking for those things.

I think Quinn is more direct and less diplomatic about recruiting BEHIND THE SCENES, when talking with its own employees. Meaning, if they like you, they'll act quickly and there isn't, like, a formal meeting about it. I doubt this means anything to an applicant, or should change the way they act. If you like the people and the "vibes," I say go with it,

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any more thoughts on what QE is looking for in callbacks? Things to avoid saying - like, I only want to work here because I love wearing sandals? They have a written questionnaire which asks typical interview questions in some detail, and although I'm being completely honest in my answers (genuinely think it will be the best fit for me based on culture, etc.) I'm not sure how to strike the right balance between being upfront and not looking like I'm just saying what I think they want to hear. But since they do seem to put some effort into distinguishing themselves, I don't want to waste the opportunity to gush about them a bit and show that I get it.

Also, are Quinn people more direct/less cagey and diplomatic in the recruiting process than those other firms, and does this affect how you should present yourself in the interview process?


Honestly the callback felt like a formality (and I've heard similar stories from others as well). They seem to just care about grades/school. It was way more one-sided (them trying to sell me on Quinn) than other interviews I've had.

I'd focus on the work as a reason for wanting to work there more than anything. A bit of culture doesn't hurt (and almost all my interviewers responded to my "why Quinn" question at first with a joking "jeans and tshirts, I'm kidding, but really jeans and tshirts" before then saying how high quality the work was). I wouldn't worry about the questionnaire. I was honest (even scathing in the "what does Quinn do wrong" section) and it didn't matter. None of my interviewers had read my resume prior to me getting there and only half of them actually looked at it while was there so I'm fairly sure none of them ever saw the questionnaire thing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any more thoughts on what QE is looking for in callbacks? Things to avoid saying - like, I only want to work here because I love wearing sandals? They have a written questionnaire which asks typical interview questions in some detail, and although I'm being completely honest in my answers (genuinely think it will be the best fit for me based on culture, etc.) I'm not sure how to strike the right balance between being upfront and not looking like I'm just saying what I think they want to hear. But since they do seem to put some effort into distinguishing themselves, I don't want to waste the opportunity to gush about them a bit and show that I get it.

Also, are Quinn people more direct/less cagey and diplomatic in the recruiting process than those other firms, and does this affect how you should present yourself in the interview process?


Honestly the callback felt like a formality (and I've heard similar stories from others as well). They seem to just care about grades/school. It was way more one-sided (them trying to sell me on Quinn) than other interviews I've had.

I'd focus on the work as a reason for wanting to work there more than anything. A bit of culture doesn't hurt (and almost all my interviewers responded to my "why Quinn" question at first with a joking "jeans and tshirts, I'm kidding, but really jeans and tshirts" before then saying how high quality the work was). I wouldn't worry about the questionnaire. I was honest (even scathing in the "what does Quinn do wrong" section) and it didn't matter. None of my interviewers had read my resume prior to me getting there and only half of them actually looked at it while was there so I'm fairly sure none of them ever saw the questionnaire thing.

Yeah, I only had one guy reference my questionnaire.

My recommendation for the callback is, when you get the schedule of who you're interviewing with, make sure to look into what they do and be prepared with a lot of questions. Most of my interviews gave me lots of time to ask questions, and I wish I'd thought of more questions to ask beforehand.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My recommendation for the callback is, when you get the schedule of who you're interviewing with, make sure to look into what they do and be prepared with a lot of questions. Most of my interviews gave me lots of time to ask questions, and I wish I'd thought of more questions to ask beforehand.


Agreed on the questions thing. In fact one of my interviewers only had me asking her questions. While their bios are a good starting place, they aren't always helpful when they are younger associates or (as was the case for me) they change up who you're interviewing with so you don't have time to look at a bio. Be prepared with a stable of stock questions that work for everyone (e.g. why did you choose FIRM, how are associates and/or SAs assigned work, how has your experience been at FIRM, etc).

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

Postby wiseowl » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:52 pm

"What can I tell you about the firm?"

"Why is your founding partner acting like such a weirdo in the Apple case? Do your partners frequently practice in courts where they aren't admitted?"

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My recommendation for the callback is, when you get the schedule of who you're interviewing with, make sure to look into what they do and be prepared with a lot of questions. Most of my interviews gave me lots of time to ask questions, and I wish I'd thought of more questions to ask beforehand.


Agreed on the questions thing. In fact one of my interviewers only had me asking her questions. While their bios are a good starting place, they aren't always helpful when they are younger associates or (as was the case for me) they change up who you're interviewing with so you don't have time to look at a bio. Be prepared with a stable of stock questions that work for everyone (e.g. why did you choose FIRM, how are associates and/or SAs assigned work, how has your experience been at FIRM, etc).

Yeah, good point, I had a switch-up and a couple newer associates without a lot of details available. I'd read up to see areas of focus, current cases, past cases, etc., but also have plenty of good backup questions that are more general. Obviously, making it conversational and letting questions spring organically from the discussion would be best, but that doesn't always work.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.