Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Um.... what? Why would, for example, Simpson Thacher's litigators say that, when they exclusively bill hourly? You guys who are trying to say Quinn isn't successful are in denial. Say they are assholes, but you don't get north of $4M/partner without winning when it means a lot of money for you.

Every firm has been saying they've been using alternative billing models.

Quinn gets high PPP for being cheap (no need to argue with me on this, JBQ says it himself) and being good, but they're not nearly the best, and having a high PPP does not necessarily equate to a good experience for associates (in fact, it's usually the opposite). It's pretty well known that W&C is clearly better than Quinn at lit, and a handful of other firms could lay claim to that too.

P.S. I'd take STB any day of the week over Quinn. lol. just lol.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:48 am

STB-NY over QE-NY maybe, but these are all firms from different areas. W&C is a DC firm and, appropriately, works on completely different stuff.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:07 pm

wow, what a bunch of QE haterz on theze boardzzz.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:43 am

The invitation just seems so cheesy. not that QE gives(or should give) a shit about what a bunch of 2Ls think but it makes me skeptical about the firm. Like, guys, we know it's not a "party"...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:34 am

Stanford 1Ls are up this week---anyone who did the new format want to describe what it's like? I've never done an "interview" like this before, and I'm trying to find the right balance between "talking to a random person at a bar" and "this is actually OCI."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Stanford 1Ls are up this week---anyone who did the new format want to describe what it's like? I've never done an "interview" like this before, and I'm trying to find the right balance between "talking to a random person at a bar" and "this is actually OCI."

If only to reduce stress, this "party" is taking the place of the post-OCI dinner, which is to say it is the device that Quinn uses to make its pitch to prospective hires. In other words, the party is for the purpose of Quinn impressing you the applicant, not the other way around. What Quinn has signaled with its shift to this new recruiting model is that you the applicant will only be able to impress them with your grades/resume, not you winning personality (based on their previous recruiting practices, this seems always to have been true). This will be disappointing to some and not to others. Either way, though, attendees of these parties should just enjoy!

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Anyone has the slightest idea what are the GPA expectations of this firm from NU?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:33 pm

Depends on the school and the grading system of the school, I figure.

It's frustrating. I got an email weeks ago encouraging me to apply and telling me that classmates have already applied. That's great and all, but I can't apply until I get all of my grades. Several of my professors didn't make the grade submission deadline of last night. :|

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:51 pm

Pokemon wrote:Anyone has the slightest idea what are the GPA expectations of this firm from NU?

Are you IPSECURE?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:56 pm

rayiner wrote:
Pokemon wrote:Anyone has the slightest idea what are the GPA expectations of this firm from NU?

Are you IPSECURE?

I'm interested in this too.

I'm not IPSECURE... but it would probably help others to have both ranges.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:00 pm

Tanicius wrote:Depends on the school and the grading system of the school, I figure.

It's frustrating. I got an email weeks ago encouraging me to apply and telling me that classmates have already applied. That's great and all, but I can't apply until I get all of my grades. Several of my professors didn't make the grade submission deadline of last night. :|

What do you mean you can't apply?. Send them your resume and your first semester grades with a note that says you have not yet received some/any of your second semester grades yet but will update them as soon as they come in. Like you said, they sent that e-mail a few weeks ago...they know nobody has their grades in mid-May.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:40 pm

dixon02 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Depends on the school and the grading system of the school, I figure.

What do you mean you can't apply?. Send them your resume and your first semester grades with a note that says you have not yet received some/any of your second semester grades yet but will update them as soon as they come in. Like you said, they sent that e-mail a few weeks ago...they know nobody has their grades in mid-May.

Holding out for additional grades. With our weird HH-H-P scale, a call-back could potentially come down to the presence or absence of one more H.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Tanicius wrote:
dixon02 wrote:

Holding out for additional grades. With our weird HH-H-P scale, a call-back could potentially come down to the presence or absence of one more H.

It also doesn't help to apply with one semester of grades. They just write back saying "thanks, send us an update when you get your second semester grades."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:06 pm

Dinged within a week of applying. Top 10%, T14, 1L SA, strong ties to the area.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dinged within a week of applying. Top 10%, T14, 1L SA, strong ties to the area.

what?? did you end up getting an email asking you to apply and still they rejected you???

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:31 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dinged within a week of applying. Top 10%, T14, 1L SA, strong ties to the area.

what?? did you end up getting an email asking you to apply and still they rejected you???

Yes. Their actual wording was that they are finished their hiring for SAs for this office. I was thinking there might have been a glaring error in what I sent but I double checked. The only other thing I can think is that they thought I meant an SA for this summer. I'll probably follow up on that just to make sure but I did say I was a rising 2L.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:

Yes. Their actual wording was that they are finished their hiring for SAs for this office. I was thinking there might have been a glaring error in what I sent but I double checked. The only other thing I can think is that they thought I meant an SA for this summer. I'll probably follow up on that just to make sure but I did say I was a rising 2L.

Thats INSANE, and exactly what scares me about our grade process. I hope it was an error!

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:38 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:

Thats INSANE, and exactly what scares me about our grade process. I hope it was an error!

Yeah, UChi final grades aren't due for another month.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:50 pm

I don't know what office the above poster applied to, but I can say that this is not true of all offices. The process is really at its early stages. Don't worry about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:25 pm

what are you guys talking about? Quinn is sending emails to people to apply? what are you guys applying for right now? next summer? which offices?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what are you guys talking about? Quinn is sending emails to people to apply? what are you guys applying for right now? next summer? which offices?

They're emailing people that went to their school drink-and-greet event earlier this Spring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:36 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what are you guys talking about? Quinn is sending emails to people to apply? what are you guys applying for right now? next summer? which offices?

They're emailing people that went to their school drink-and-greet event earlier this Spring.

gotcha, cool, well if anyone has questions about QE feel free to ask them here and I (QE summer) will try to help

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

gotcha, cool, well if anyone has questions about QE feel free to ask them here and I (QE summer) will try to help

Is it as much of a sweatshop as everyone says? At the Quinn reception one Quinn lawyer even said that they're not a firm that talks about work/life balance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Any tips for the application/interview process?

What office are you in?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:07 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Is it as much of a sweatshop as everyone says? At the Quinn reception one Quinn lawyer even said that they're not a firm that talks about work/life balance.

I've worked at two law firms in my life. Both of them required a lot of work, but both were kind of notorious for that, so I'm not sure I have the perspective to really rate QE against its competitors in this regard. Every associate I've met is definitely working hard. I've been in on the weekend a couple times (for non-work reasons, like being an idiot and leaving my keys there) and ran into an associate (different associates) doing work there both times. I don't know if it's like that all the time for everyone (I expect not) but it's definitely a demanding place to be. I can't say if it's any more or less demanding than any other law firm - being an associate at a big law firm is a tough gig when it comes to hours. No, people don't talk about work/life balance, but I'm not sure any firm that does is being particularly honest. I will say that almost all the lawyers I've met are really interesting and cool people. I'd actually like to hang out with most of them outside of work hours, and that is saying something. There's definitely a certain culture to the firm, and so far I'm convinced that it fits me. As to what that culture is, it's something like, "be really chill in personal interaction, at least with the people on our side, but seriously want to compete (and win) when it comes to work."

Anonymous User wrote:Any tips for the application/interview process?

What office are you in?

Re question 2, nice try. Re question 1, I can only say what worked for me. I'd wanted the firm for a long time so knew a lot about them, but only let that show when asked about it (didn't flaunt it). I prepared particularly well for the interview - I read the student note of one of the associates who was supposed to interview me, then joked about how I was going to bomb the interview since she happened to not actually be the one interviewing me. I'd say they're looking for two things: good grades, and evidence that you would fit in with the firm culture. If you do indeed fit in with the firm culture, that shouldn't be too hard to show: smile a lot and be friendly in the interview, but also give your crocodile-wrestling experience a prominent place in your resume.

Return to “Legal Employment”