Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
c3pO4

Silver

Re: Quinn Emanuel's new recruiting model

Post by c3pO4 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:59 pm

Doesn't anybody think it's silly to move hiring up EVEN FURTHER away from graduation? This is getting ridiculous. Why not just hire people based on their LSAT scores?

I'd be much more impressed if a top firm was willing to wait until 3L year or (*gasp*) after graduation to hire a good number of its associates, if not all.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:05 am

c3pO4 wrote:Doesn't anybody think it's silly to move hiring up EVEN FURTHER away from graduation? This is getting ridiculous. Why not just hire people based on their LSAT scores?

I'd be much more impressed if a top firm was willing to wait until 3L year or (*gasp*) after graduation to hire a good number of its associates, if not all.
They are called Williams and Connolly and Kellogg Huber, and they only hire Art. III clerks.

Seriously though, there is a game of prisoners dilemma in legal hiring which is why the situation is as bad as it is now. If the schools had more leverage they could push back, but there are more law students than jobs (even in the 14) so they cannot.

I don't know when most school's second semester grades come out, but I'm guessing it is sometime around June 1. Quinn will actually be operating with almost as much information as their competitors, because the actual 1L summer experience is the only thing excluded and most agree it's meaningless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Just go. Quinn doesn't care about personality. If you GPA is good enough you get auto offered.

I think Quinn is the reason YHS is big law secure, and why top 20% at t14 is big law secure.
I understand that Quinn is very selective on grades for OCI. Are they picky even when eventually making permanent offers as well?

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Just go. Quinn doesn't care about personality. If you GPA is good enough you get auto offered.

I think Quinn is the reason YHS is big law secure, and why top 20% at t14 is big law secure.
I understand that Quinn is very selective on grades for OCI. Are they picky even when eventually making permanent offers as well?
They offer virtually everyone who summers. It will be your behavior in social settings and abysmal work product that get you no-offered, not your 2L grades.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:54 am

At H they give callbacks to like 50% of screening interviewees. Your chances are very high if you get a callback though (kind of like S+C).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:35 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:Also, am I the only one who thinks it is bizarre that top firms feel they aren't getting the best talent? I was talking to a partner at an NLJ250 firm/regional vault who was saying they got 1,000 applications for 4 summer slots. The kid in the top 5% at HLS IS smarter then the kid in the top 30% at HLS and then the kid in the top 5% at GW or American. That kid has performed better on metrics like the LSAT and in the high pressure environment of law school and will do a COA clerkship. But for the work given the average first year associate, even at a firm like Quinn, there will be almost no difference in the work quantity or quality of the four hypothetical students I just described.
This is straight up wrong. Friend at Harvard destroyed it 1st semester, realized he was set. Stopped giving a shit. He is as smart as anyone there. Top 5% of GW dumber than top 30% at Harvard? How could you possibly know these things. Also, being smart in law school means NOTHING to how smart you actually are....most of the kids at my school can't do simple math. People like you are the reasons I hate law students for the most part. Grade Whoring Prestige Mongers.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:47 am

$$$$$$ wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:Also, am I the only one who thinks it is bizarre that top firms feel they aren't getting the best talent? I was talking to a partner at an NLJ250 firm/regional vault who was saying they got 1,000 applications for 4 summer slots. The kid in the top 5% at HLS IS smarter then the kid in the top 30% at HLS and then the kid in the top 5% at GW or American. That kid has performed better on metrics like the LSAT and in the high pressure environment of law school and will do a COA clerkship. But for the work given the average first year associate, even at a firm like Quinn, there will be almost no difference in the work quantity or quality of the four hypothetical students I just described.
This is straight up wrong. Friend at Harvard destroyed it 1st semester, realized he was set. Stopped giving a shit. He is as smart as anyone there. Top 5% of GW dumber than top 30% at Harvard? How could you possibly know these things. Also, being smart in law school means NOTHING to how smart you actually are....most of the kids at my school can't do simple math. People like you are the reasons I hate law students for the most part. Grade Whoring Prestige Mongers.
I agree.

Also, Quinn changed their model because they didn't want to be forced to screen people they would never hire, it was a waste of their time. Not because they didn't feel they were getting the best talent, they didn't want to spend time interviewing people they weren't going to callback. This way they can opt out.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:52 am

Check you grammar often.

If you meant this--hilarious. If not, what a slip.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:54 am

run26.2 wrote:

Check you grammar often.

You're new to TLS, aren't you?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:56 am

bjsesq wrote:
run26.2 wrote:

Check you grammar often.

You're new to TLS, aren't you?
No. I've read many of DF's posts. But I'll give credit if it's due.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:24 pm

Originally I thought this would be a cool idea, but now I'm dreading it. I don't think I'm going to enjoy myself at this event at all when every person there is pining for attention.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:14 pm

sunynp wrote:
$$$$$$ wrote:
I agree.

Also, Quinn changed their model because they didn't want to be forced to screen people they would never hire, it was a waste of their time. Not because they didn't feel they were getting the best talent, they didn't want to spend time interviewing people they weren't going to callback. This way they can opt out.
Now they get to see a ton of 1L's instead of some rising 2L's. But, the most important difference (for the interviewers) is the availability of food and booze paid for by the firm instead of just sipping coffee/juice/water in a hotel room.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Bump to see how people feel about Quinn marketing themselves as "the top litigation firm in the world."

--LinkRemoved--’t-miss-your-chance-to-meet-the-top-litigation-firm-in-the-world/

Is there some ranking they are relying on or are they just self-appointing?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:08 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:Bump to see how people feel about Quinn marketing themselves as "the top litigation firm in the world."

--LinkRemoved--’t-miss-your-chance-to-meet-the-top-litigation-firm-in-the-world/

That might be a play on their role as the largest business litigation-only firm in the world.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:13 pm

That might be a play on their role as the largest business litigation-only firm in the world.
Maybe... it is a bit much, in my opinion. Seems like something a car dealership would do.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:15 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:Bump to see how people feel about Quinn marketing themselves as "the top litigation firm in the world."

That ad is even more insufferable than I imagined.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:20 pm

bk187 wrote:

It fits Quinn.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:30 pm

It fits Quinn.
Yup.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:27 am

Shaggier1 wrote:
Maybe... it is a bit much, in my opinion. Seems like something a car dealership would do.
I think they are the one and only pure litigation firm on the V100, so they are ranked both first and last.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:24 am

I think they are the one and only pure litigation firm on the V100, so they are ranked both first and last.
It's still weak. The way they write that line, it is the same as claiming they are the "top firm for litigation." This is why people don't like Quinn... they just run around telling everyone how awesome they are, as if they are the only good litigators on the planet.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:02 am

Shaggier1 wrote:
It's still weak. The way they write that line, it is the same as claiming they are the "top firm for litigation." This is why people don't like Quinn... they just run around telling everyone how awesome they are, as if they are the only good litigators on the planet.
law students still go for that shit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:25 am

Shaggier1 wrote:
They aren't litigators. They're "trial lawyers".
:lol:

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:40 am

Some people are really getting butthurt over shitty advertising... If you think this is bad, watch TV at 2am.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:07 am

Fresh Prince wrote:Some people are really getting butthurt over shitty advertising... If you think this is bad, watch TV at 2am.
I used to work in advertising, believe me I know it's not shitty. I'm more amused then anything else. They're still a great firm, they just have a certain view of themselves and working at QE is definitely not for everyone.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:37 am

Some people are really getting butthurt over shitty advertising... If you think this is bad, watch TV at 2am.
And some people compare apples and oranges.

If you want law firms to be held to the same standards as companies running infomercials at 2am, then good for you. But I don't.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”