Panic Mode 1L Summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Panic Mode 1L Summer

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:57 am

I finished in the top 5-10% after first semester 1L year. I go to a strong regional upper T2, but my limited "professional" ties aren't really in the area but on the gulf coast. That being said, I have a large amount of immediate family in the area - not important.

Regardless, I had a couple of 1L OCI's, none of which amounted to a callback. The limited number of places I applied outside of OCI are either not hiring 1L's this year for the summer or flat-out rejected me.

I was arrogant for thinking that OCI would land me a job. But I need a summer job. My grades are fine - people in my grade range have all done better than me as far as getting OCI's, but a few outside of my grade range have gotten more as well. I could have just gotten unlucky. I don't talk to non-friends about callbacks so I don't really know.

Regardless, I need a summer job. It's already March, I haven't applied to that many places. The deadline for a lot of places was mid-Feb for applying. The few remaining applications I have out I don't expect to amount to anything.

I need to find some way to be more proactive about this job search, but I may have waited too long. Career center at my school is not very helpful either. I need advice badly, as I know almost nothing about this whole successful job hunt strategy thing.

bk1

Re: Panic Mode 1L Summer

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:04 am

Check websites like pslawnet. Talk to your CSO if there are job boards that they know about. I think this week is going to be really important since a bunch of places have mid March deadlines (Dept of Commerce, US Trade Rep, SBA, NY AG, etc). Try state stuff that people generally aren't focused on applying to (e.g. state trial courts). Try mass mailing small firms. Bottom line you need to do a ton of searching and applying (just check places you think hire 1L interns and apply whether or not they have a stated program).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:01 am

at a T2 your grades are nice but in no way should you ever think that simply taking the school's tiny OCI will ever land you anything! This will be about hustle, connections, making connections, and reaching out--you're grades at this school will ONLY help you once you reach out and make the connections to get them in the door and have them care about you. There are literally 100s, probably, 1000s, of students at higher ranked schools hustling, often with better pre-law work and maybe similar grades....being in top 5-10% at a strong regional T2 won't hurt you--but it most likely won't open any doors---you have to do that yourself.

Jhuen_the_bird

Postby Jhuen_the_bird » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:10 am

It's only March ... I didn't get my 1L summer job (an externship with a federal judge) until early May. Relax. OCI is not the be all end all - otherwise, barely anybody would get jobs. Doesn't your school send out or post (on a site like symplicity) job postings as they come up? Lots of smaller firms post for law clerks and many judges want law student interns / externs. Or maybe something public interest related? Sometimes if you take an unpaid position you can work out some kind of funding or grant through your school or the government. Or you could volunteer for a legal position part-time and get a non-legal part-time position (i.e. retail or something) if you need to be making at least some money.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:36 am

I just mass mailed the PD, Prosecutors, County Attorneys, and any City Attorneys in 6 counties near my parents and grandparents home and seriously got positive responses to nearly all of them. Obviously that isn't the most prestigious shit but don't worry about getting shut out. I'm nowhere near top 5% and my school is in a different region and where I applied has plenty of law schools around.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:28 pm

Dude it's just the 1L summer job I would seriously not worry at all. I got mine in May.

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:31 pm

Not too late for judges, both state and federal.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:35 pm

Got an offer for a federal judicial internship this week. There's still hope.

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:18 pm

I know of at least one small firm in my city that is just now starting to look at summer internship applications. I heard about ppl getting small firm jobs in May last year, so it's probably not too late to go that route if you get on it soon.

I've also heard a lot of corporate legal departments start looking around now. Maybe try to find phone numbers/email addresses for big companies in your area or alums (UG or LS) and ask them if they are hiring anyone.

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:04 pm

traydeuce wrote:Not too late for judges, both state and federal.

Is this true even in popular districts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:06 pm

adonai wrote:

Def not too late. I scheduled all my interviews for March last year when I was a 1L. And many judges noted that they were just beginning their recruiting. I told a few how my school told us that anything after December 1st was too late for fed. district court judges, and many judges laughed and said that is ridiculous. I'm sure a good many judges are done hiring interns, but don't assume its a lost cause at this point, especially for the state ones.

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
adonai wrote:

Def not too late. I scheduled all my interviews for March last year when I was a 1L. And many judges noted that they were just beginning their recruiting. I told a few how my school told us that anything after December 1st was too late for fed. district court judges, and many judges laughed and said that is ridiculous. I'm sure a good many judges are done hiring interns, but don't assume its a lost cause at this point, especially for the state ones.

Thanks. Feels good to have some assurance that I have more places to apply to. Didn't even think fed. district could be a possibility at this point, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:54 pm

adonai wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
adonai wrote:

Thanks. Feels good to have some assurance that I have more places to apply to. Didn't even think fed. district could be a possibility at this point, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

If you don't mind the extra postage and effort, go for it; however, from my experience and from my friends' experiences, many federal district judges (esp. in major districts) are done hiring.

Return to “Legal Employment”