(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which is it?

a. Local legal aid
50%
b. Distant DA office
50%

Total votes: 2

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L summer work + Patent Bar?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:58 pm

Can you explain why this is either/or? The patent bar doesnt take that many hours to study for. I don't see why you couldn't prep for the patent bar on nights and weekends, regardless of which job you take.

I recommend taking the job you prefer out of the 2 you listed, and also studying for the patent bar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:05 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Postby dood » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:26 pm

damn im about to drop some KNOWLEDGE on u.

why u should listen to my advice: i worked for a fed judge, studied for, and passed patent bar during 1L summer.

my advice:

1) either job wont matter in eyes of OCI big firm recruiter. unless u work for a big firm or CoA judge ur 1L summer, it simply wont matter...anyone tells u differently is a idiot. that being said, id just do the one that required least amount of effort, regardless of patent bar. id take the shorter commute and devote the extra time to MW3 prestige mode getting pussy/cock (whatever ur into).

2) patent bar doesnt really matter for IP litigation if u have good grades from good school. in other words, if u dont have the GPA credentials to work for X firm, having patent bar on resume wont make up for it. prosecution requires it though.

3) if u still want to do ur plan after reading 1 and 2, either job is fine b/c the patent bar is retarded easy. dont even study. just do practice tests until u memorize all the repeat Qs. i finished the test in 1/3 of the given time with such method.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:39 pm

dood wrote:damn im about to drop some KNOWLEDGE on u.

why u should listen to my advice: i worked for a fed judge, studied for, and passed patent bar during 1L summer.

my advice:

1) either job wont matter in eyes of OCI big firm recruiter. unless u work for a big firm or CoA judge ur 1L summer, it simply wont matter...anyone tells u differently is a idiot. that being said, id just do the one that required least amount of effort, regardless of patent bar. id take the shorter commute and devote the extra time to MW3 prestige mode getting pussy/cock (whatever ur into).

2) patent bar doesnt really matter for IP litigation if u have good grades from good school. in other words, if u dont have the GPA credentials to work for X firm, having patent bar on resume wont make up for it. prosecution requires it though.

3) if u still want to do ur plan after reading 1 and 2, either job is fine b/c the patent bar is retarded easy. dont even study. just do practice tests until u memorize all the repeat Qs. i finished the test in 1/3 of the given time with such method.

>Crushed by your knowledge<
Was a little concerned about changes to patent exam, but if it's pretty much still the old stuff then this helps.
Good school, nothing special about grades, but w/e and advanced degree...

dood

Postby dood » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

my advice:

Was a little concerned about changes to patent exam, but if it's pretty much still the old stuff then this helps.

lol. if ur good school is T14, then with advanced degree, im sure u'll be fine with either job and with or without patent bar. oh make sure to do loyola patent fair.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:05 pm

dood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

my advice:

lol. if ur good school is T14, then with advanced degree, im sure u'll be fine with either job and with or without patent bar. oh make sure to do loyola patent fair.

Thanks man!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:14 pm

If you don't need the patent bar to get a job in school, wait to have your firm pay for the prep course and the time off to study it.

Return to “Legal Employment”