SA Events and Tattoos

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA Events and Tattoos

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi All -- I am SAing at a large regional firm this summer but I am worried about some of the social events. As part of my firm's program, they host many events including golf outings and sailing trips. Furthermore, I will likely be doing other outdoor activities with some of the partners in my office, since we share some of the same hobbies.

My problem is that I have some tattoos that are visible when I'm wearing summer attire (e.g., shorts and a tee). Specifically, the tattoos that I'm worried about are one on my lower leg that extends from ankle to my knee and one on my arm that sometimes stick out the bottom of my sleeve when I wear certain tee shirts. The rest are covered.

I do like my tattoos, but I got them all when I was around 18-20; before law school was even a consideration. Knowing how conservative this profession is, I am afraid that older partners may see these and get the wrong impression about me. Basically, I want to know if anyone has any input on whether I should make every effort to cover the tattoos up at the social events -- such as by wearing khakis or long sleeves. I'm just concerned that I might look like a weirdo when it's 90 degrees out and I'm wearing long pants.

Any input or advice is appreciated.

azntwice

Re: SA Events and Tattoos

Postby azntwice » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:25 pm

i think it's fine to wear long pants, especially for golfing events and sailing trips. as for the arm tattoo, you might be able to get away with a button up of which the sleeves are rolled up. should be fine. just wear summer fabrics -- linen, khaki, etc.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:27 pm

I would just wear khaki/linen pants when golfing or sailing.

If your have an arm tattoo, I would wear a long sleeve shirt and carefully roll up the sleeves.

Tattoos would probably be seen as trashy to the older, more conservative partners. Just deal with the extra clothing.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:27 pm

I have a friend who has an awesome arm sleeve tattoo and he just wears long sleeves when around people who aren't hip enough to appreciate how great his tattoos are. Even in the summer. Pants and long(er) sleeves can be effectively rocked even when its warm out. Thin fabric, unbutton the top few buttons, and you're good so he tells me.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:07 pm

?
Last edited by daesonesb on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:53 pm

Do not, not, not let them see those tats if you're in the southern half of the U.S. I don't know about the NE or California (or the field in between) though.

The only tats that are acceptable to a 60 year old firm partner in my area are tats people get in the military. Other than that, they see tats as a sign that you make bad decisions because they think tats are a bad decision (with a very, very small number of exceptions).

Wear Khakis on the golf course. Wear an actual golf shirt, which has sleeves that come all the way down to the elbow. It would be better to skip any event that required shorts than to let them see the leg tat.

This advice is coming from a law student, but one who has 26 years of experience with being around old, wealthy white people.

Return to “Legal Employment”