Etiquette While Waiting on an Offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Etiquette While Waiting on an Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:09 pm

1L here. I have an unpaid offer for the summer from a non-profit that needs an answer by Friday. I am waiting for an answer from a second unpaid position, again non-profit, but a position I would much prefer. Is it appropriate to call the second place and ask if I will hear back by the end of the week or is it inappropriate? How does one even go about asking?

*edit: summer position

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Etiquette While Waiting on an Offer

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:01 pm

Yes. Just call the second place and tell them that you have an offer with a deadline of this Friday, but that they are your first choice and ask is it possible that you might be able to get a decision before this Friday.

No one will take offense, it's a perfectly normal question.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Etiquette While Waiting on an Offer

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:20 pm

kalvano wrote:Yes. Just call the second place and tell them that you have an offer with a deadline of this Friday, but that they are your first choice and ask is it possible that you might be able to get a decision before this Friday.

No one will take offense, it's a perfectly normal question.


This is the way to go. However, if you do so, make sure you accept the second offer if offered.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Etiquette While Waiting on an Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:57 pm

If you call a firm and tell them you have a deadline then you don't hear back from the firm by that deadline, should you assume a rejection? Or is it possible your deadline just means nothing to them and they will let you know when they are ready?

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Etiquette While Waiting on an Offer

Postby zomginternets » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you call a firm and tell them you have a deadline then you don't hear back from the firm by that deadline, should you assume a rejection? Or is it possible your deadline just means nothing to them and they will let you know when they are ready?


Assume rejection. The universal assumption is that you would have accepted your alternative offer on that deadline if you hadn't yet heard back from them, so if they wanted you, they would have extended an offer before your deadline.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Etiquette While Waiting on an Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:15 am

Do you think they would just assume I accepted the other position without me formally withdrawing from consideration with the firm?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Etiquette While Waiting on an Offer

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do you think they would just assume I accepted the other position without me formally withdrawing from consideration with the firm?


Not if you notified them. Call again on the day of your deadline.

ETA: if the other position is not a firm, don't expect it to make any difference.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Etiquette While Waiting on an Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:25 am

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you think they would just assume I accepted the other position without me formally withdrawing from consideration with the firm?


Not if you notified them. Call again on the day of your deadline.

ETA: if the other position is not a firm, don't expect it to make any difference.


Thanks for your thoughts on this. I figured they would not assume I accepted until I notified them of that. I thought it might not make a difference because they have their own schedule, which is not dependent on mine. I mean, law students are expendable so its not like they will be freaking out if they "miss out" on me working for them.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Etiquette While Waiting on an Offer

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I figured they would not assume I accepted until I notified them of that. I thought it might not make a difference because they have their own schedule, which is not dependent on mine. I mean, law students are expendable so its not like they will be freaking out if they "miss out" on me working for them.


We are largely fungible, but we may fit some niche (this may not even be academically related). So while we are not special snowflakes, we are nonetheless snowflakes. So if the firm find you at all special, they will probably care if you are going to a rival firm.

I think luck has a large part in this matching process here.

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Etiquette While Waiting on an Offer

Postby zomginternets » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:08 pm

It is possible that down the line, enough of their preferred candidates reject their offers such that if they knew that you still wanted to work for them, they would give you an offer. However, you absolutely should not reject your alternative offer based on this possibility.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Etiquette While Waiting on an Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:01 am

zomginternets wrote:It is possible that down the line, enough of their preferred candidates reject their offers such that if they knew that you still wanted to work for them, they would give you an offer. However, you absolutely should not reject your alternative offer based on this possibility.


Thank you and I agree 100 percent with the advice. Just to give context, this is a 3L position for entry level. I'm not sure anyone is turning down a position this late in the game, but here's hoping.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.