networking impasse

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stephencolbert

networking impasse

Postby stephencolbert » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:02 am

1L here. went to a state bar association meeting four weeks ago. met the partner who runs the practice group i'm interested in at the biggest firm in town. hit it off extremely well, so well that later he made a point of finding me, giving me his card, and saying "make sure you look us up next fall". thanked him and asked him if we could get coffee. "sure, send me an e-mail," he said. we parted.

sent him an e-mail the very next day asking if we could get coffee. thought i had it made...

radio silence...

do i e-mail him again? is that obnoxious? what do i do?

stephencolbert

Re: networking impasse

Postby stephencolbert » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:08 am

it's actually been three weeks, not four.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:10 am

stephencolbert wrote:it's actually been three weeks, not four.

I would contact him next Fall like he suggested. Remind him that he told you to look him up. I doubt he has time/wants to have coffee. My thinking is that if he wanted to talk to you before next Fall, he would have suggested such.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:56 am

Going to get coffee with you requires his time, which is limited. You can continue to get yourself in front of him by sending an e-mail with something interesting or relevant to his practice and maybe ask a brief, relatively open ended question about it. This will help to ensure that he remembers who you are when hiring season comes around.

Don't be pushy about asking for a meeting, saying you will grab coffee some time is often a nice way of indicating interest even if there is no intention to actually meet.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:28 am

He didn't mean it when you put him on the spot to ask for coffee. What was he going to do say no in front of a group of people? Don't email him again. He is extremely busy- getting coffee with you or answering your emails is at the bottom of his list. Don't seem too desperate- which you do. Wait til the fall unless he gets in touch with you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:07 am

He might have meant it when he told you that. But, he would have to work it into his schedule.

Don't feel bad, I got radio silence for weeks after a callback in which the interview told me to stay in touch personally. Then out of no where I got an offer. Then more silence when I followed up. This happened at two places. People are busy, wait until recruiting season when they have to devote time to spend time with students.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:51 am

I'd let it go. Give the guy a graceful out. Is there anything very pressing that you need to discuss over coffee or are you just trying to keep your face fresh in his memory? If the latter, which seems likely, then you've done as much as you can and any further pestering at this point could sour his impression of you. If the former, you can send him an email with specific questions. Otherwise, look them up in the fall. That's my two cents.

Return to “Legal Employment”