Going to a "Seminar for 1Ls From Diverse Backgrounds"?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Going to a "Seminar for 1Ls From Diverse Backgrounds"?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:47 pm

So I recently let one of the career services office people know that I was interested in information about big firm hiring from my school.
She told me that they'd hold a couple of events closer to the end of this year about OCI, etc, but that she would "keep me in the loop."

Today she sent me this excited email, telling me all about this wonderful event that one of the bigger firms in the local market was having, going on and on about how this was a great opportunity for me to learn and check out this type of firm environment.
It sounded excellent and like something I would certainly be interested in, until I realized what it was called, "Large Firm Practice Basics: A Seminar for 1L Law Students From Diverse Backgrounds."

Not to be too blunt, but I'm really just your average white guy.
About the most diverse thing about me is that I came from a very small town in my state, somewhere city dwellers consider to be on par with Kansas or Nebraska in relation to the city.
Therefore, I don't particularly know if I qualify, though I am interested in going for the sheer hell of it and because I think it might actually be informative and a way to meet people at this firm.

Opinions on going?
Am I going to be the token non URM guy and they're going to wonder why I'm there and whisper behind my back?
I did email her to ask if she thought it was appropriate that I went, and she hasn't emailed me back.
Guess I'm just not sure exactly what "diversity" means in this case.

Just curious as to TLS's collective thoughts on the subject.
Thanks in advance!

bk1

Re: Going to a "Seminar for 1Ls From Diverse Backgrounds"?

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:11 pm

I bet it's just a thing where they talk. There was a talk at my school called something like "Women in Transactional Law" and plenty of dudes showed up for the free Chipotle.

These sorts of things aren't restricted. I imagine it'll be similar to any regular talk about biglaw except with a few minor things thrown in about the difficulties/opportunities that are different for minorities.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:18 am

(OP)
Fair enough, thanks for the thoughts!
I think I'm going to go, it kinda cramps my schedule for that night, but I might as well go and check the place out. I've never actually been inside one of the big firms.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:37 am

Unless it's for class/class work, you cannot think of it as cramping your style. You've got to make networking the top priority in your life after grades because 2L OCI is your one shot to land a biglaw job. Also, don't worry if they're only looking for URMs. Worst case, they ignore you and forget you attended. Best case, they're looking for more than URMs/assume you're gay/disabled and take interest. Can't hurt you either way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:45 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:Unless it's for class/class work, you cannot think of it as cramping your style. You've got to make networking the top priority in your life after grades because 2L OCI is your one shot to land a biglaw job. Also, don't worry if they're only looking for URMs. Worst case, they ignore you and forget you attended. Best case, they're looking for more than URMs/assume you're gay/disabled and take interest. Can't hurt you either way.

It actually is for class/class work, which is the only reason I am thinking of it as cramping my schedule just because I have a ton of reading to do for for the next day. I'll find a way to get it done though.
I totally agree with you, though, networking is huge and I need to make it work for me. I've been pretty good with it so far and this is another opportunity to keep it going.
Thanks for your thoughts!

EDIT: RSVP'ed.

Return to “Legal Employment”