Law firm background check Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Law firm background check

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:18 pm

Do they tell you that you passed the background/conflict check? Wondering because I filed all the paperwork a while ago yet haven't heard back from my firm.

Anonymous User

Re: Law firm background check

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:20 pm

For SA or full-time employment? What type of information did you have to give them besides consent?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For SA or full-time employment? What type of information did you have to give them besides consent?
For SA. About the information given- my SSN, Employment/Education history, previous addresses and all the other usual stuff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:24 pm

/bump.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Is the firm still contacting with you with information about the summer? If so, I couldn't see why they would if you failed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 pm

My firm told me after I passed. But it may depend on the firm I suppose. I bet you will know if you didn't pass though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:36 am

sorry for the bump. but do 2l OCI firms usually ask for convictions or crimes?

the difference being that convictions would mean listing every single speeding ticket acquired in the last decade for me.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:sorry for the bump. but do 2l OCI firms usually ask for convictions or crimes?

the difference being that convictions would mean listing every single speeding ticket acquired in the last decade for me.
I haven't gotten my firm's form yet, but nearly every form I've seen outside of C+F and S/TS has a "you do not need to list traffic violations under $300" exemption in the convictions section. Also, I've rarely seen the "Have you committed any crimes?" question. It is usually (not exact), "Have you been convicted of any crimes?" or "Have you been charged with any crimes?" or "Do you expect to be charged with any crimes?"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:18 pm

what about government work? for DOJ i imagine it would be hard to get with a criminal conviction. what about other federal law groups? NLRB, HUD, EEOC, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2012 6:13 pm

I am sort off in a similar situation... I am working for big law this summer, and the firm got in touch with me a few months ago asking me to fill out previous employment information, conflict of interest etc forms... and after I turned it in, its almost like the firm disappeared!! I distinctly remember NOT giving them consent to do a background check because there was no form which said something around the lines that I give them permission to do a background check.

My question is:
a) Can they still do a background check even without letting the SA know about it?
b) Why havent they still gotten back to me? I mean, the Summer program starts in about 2 weeks, and yet, I havent heard anything back... I am kinda freaking out (serious comments only please)
c) would they tell you if you've failed the background check and that they dont plan on hiring you?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”