Jerbless in Jeattle

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
2LsAPlenty

Jerbless in Jeattle

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:39 am

Is there anything the OCS can assist with in a job search for March and April. I have not had a lot of luck getting interviews by mass mailing to mid and small size firms, but I am targeting out of town which I know puts me at a disadvantage. It just seems like the OCS office is geared more toward biglaw but not that OCI is over, I would think they would be proactive in assisting the rest of us. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2LsAPlenty

Re: Jerbless in Jeattle

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:25 pm

bump

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:39 pm

Why not ask CSO instead of us?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:27 am

i'm in the same boat. been mass mailing for the past 3 weeks and only have gotten a handful of responses. most of them stating that they don't plan on taking summer interns at the moment. so, it's either i'm too early or the firms don't have enough business to justify having an intern. hopefully it's the former, but i won't be surprised if it's the latter.

anyways, don't waste your time with OCS. you gotta outwork everyone else. you don't want OCS to post jobs, or else each posting is going to get 200 lazy applicants with your resume being lost among them. keep mass mailing and go on info interviews. good luck!

2LsAPlenty

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:19 am

It seems attorneys are very conservative when it comes to adding even SAs due to there being enough business.

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:32 am

2LsAPlenty wrote:It seems attorneys are very conservative when it comes to adding even SAs due to there being enough business.

This sentence is completely incoherent.

Why on earth would you come to a law school board asking what your school's CSO can do for you rather than approaching them directly? Not to mention you haven't even told us where you go to school (not even a relative range - although I am guessing you go to school in Seattle, which probably narrows it down), which makes it particularly impractical to try to give you any advice whatsoever.

What can you be doing? I'd suggest:
1) Continuing to mass mail.
2) Attending any and every on campus speaking engagement where an attorney might be present.
3) Trying to attend local bar conferences.
4) Cold emailing firms/attorneys, even if you can only set up lunch.
5) Keep checking your school's simplicity - jobs often pop up with quick application deadlines around this time of year, make sure to check daily.
6) TALKING TO YOUR CSO - CSOs often have lists of attorneys that, at the very least, want to talk to students about their projected career paths. Set up an appointment ASAP and try to schedule something.
Last edited by Indifferent on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:33 am

lold hard at topic at desk in office.

dturnbull87

Postby dturnbull87 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:01 pm

Too many lawyers, seek another career

Return to “Legal Employment”