Should I wait 6 months to take the Bar

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stressed3L

Should I wait 6 months to take the Bar

Postby stressed3L » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:50 am

I'm a current 3L. I was thinking maybe I should wait 6 months to take the Bar. I'm just starting to think cramming for the Bar in 2 months would be a little risky, plus I need to find some type of paying job shortly after graduation. Would waiting 8 months look bad for employers? Would being a law clerk or paralegal my best option for legal work until I'm licensed?

Re: Should I wait 6 months to take the Bar

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:55 am

Everyone else does it, why the fuck can't you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:16 am

stressed3L wrote:I'm a current 3L. I was thinking maybe I should wait 6 months to take the Bar. I'm just starting to think cramming for the Bar in 2 months would be a little risky, plus I need to find some type of paying job shortly after graduation. Would waiting 8 months look bad for employers? Would being a law clerk or paralegal my best option for legal work until I'm licensed?

It looks like you don't have a job lined up upon graduation. In this case, you should pass the bar as soon as possible because most of the positions you're looking at require bar admission.

You probably won't get better prepared by waiting until February. Instead, you will spend time looking for jobs, slacking off on studying, and stressing out when you see your classmates and friends pass the bar and start working.

This addition 3L semester won't help you get better prepared (think about how you are now at school).

I think it's better to take the bar in July so that you can study with your friends or classmates. Then, you can concentrate on job hunting in August.

stressed3L

Postby stressed3L » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:40 am

I forgot to add that another reason I want to wait and work is because I'm pretty strapped for cash for right now.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:48 am

Do the bar now. Take out extra money if you have to on your final semester of PLUS loans. You won't find a job straight out and no one will hire you with a jd and no bar pass because they'll know you are leaving. Plus, it will look strange to employers that you waited.

Return to “Legal Employment”