V10 Associate Taking Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V10 Associate Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:44 am

Did you do law review or any of that sort of stuff?

Do you have any idea how big firms tend to view 1L summer positions at legal aid public interest type places? (I realize you may have no idea about this one).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:51 am

How would you compare transactional work and litigation? Differences in hours? Differences in types of personalities it attracts? Types of exit options?

How did you pick transactional over litigation?

rosemerry

Postby rosemerry » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:51 am

seeing as we are in a law forum and how everyone here is gunning to be a lawyer (or already is), i don't want to sound obnoxious but I'm just super super curious.

if u're in a V10, where u have all these amazing relationships with the banking side, have u ever considered taking a banking job? you might work slightly more hours from your 70 now but you'll earn so much more, I'm sure alot of lawyers have thought about this especially in the V10, and some have lateraled into the banks as bankers, not into legal/compliance dept.

if you're smart enough to be in V10, u're def smart enough for banking, they aren't rocket science..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:51 am

How often do you have to present your work to partners/clients? Or do you basically just send it to them and that's it?

Also, since I'm going to be living/working in NYC too, how much do you spend on rent? I'm going to have about 35K in debt and don't really know what a good amount would be to spend on rent. What neighborhood do you live in? I'm thinking of living in NJ to avoid the NYC resident tax and because my firm is in the Financial District so it's a quick commute. Good bad/idea?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:53 am

Do any of the junior associates you know have kids? If so, how do they handle it? I'd be curious about more senior associates and partners as well, but not sure if you'd be as familiar on that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did you do law review or any of that sort of stuff?

No.

Do you have any idea how big firms tend to view 1L summer positions at legal aid public interest type places? (I realize you may have no idea about this one).

It's fine so long as you talk about the legal skills you learned.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:How would you compare transactional work and litigation? Differences in hours? Differences in types of personalities it attracts? Types of exit options?

Transactional is a lot more fast paced, and there are many matters that you'll end up working on over time. I'm attracted to that. Being on a megacase for 10 years isn't so appealing to me--I get bored. The hours are probably the same, but a lot more predictable on the litigation side. I think litigation tends to attract more anal-retentive types, whereas corporate attracts cooler people. Transactional has superior exit options.

How did you pick transactional over litigation?

As I said above, was attracted to how close to the surface of the real world everything is in litigation. In litigation, it's easy to spend weeks on a very minute, though not trivial, aspect of litigation that's so far removed from everything that it's difficult to appreciate the picture. Also, research and writing stress me out a lot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:28 am

if u're in a V10, where u have all these amazing relationships with the banking side, have u ever considered taking a banking job? you might work slightly more hours from your 70 now but you'll earn so much more, I'm sure alot of lawyers have thought about this especially in the V10, and some have lateraled into the banks as bankers, not into legal/compliance dept.

I don't want to be a banker. Bankers don't necessarily make more, at least not this year. Our relationships aren't "amazing"; it's not a revolving door. Moreover, I'm not sure how easy or difficult it is to lateral as a banker.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:30 am

How would you rate your experience so far?
Last edited by Old Gregg on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do any of the junior associates you know have kids? If so, how do they handle it? I'd be curious about more senior associates and partners as well, but not sure if you'd be as familiar on that.

Yes, some do. Don't know how they deal with it aside from working at home often and collaborating with their spouses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:44 am

I also explain to them the various aspects of what's going on, work with them on the completion of their parts of the deal, etc.

Also, since I'm going to be living/working in NYC too, how much do you spend on rent? I'm going to have about 35K in debt and don't really know what a good amount would be to spend on rent. What neighborhood do you live in? I'm thinking of living in NJ to avoid the NYC resident tax and because my firm is in the Financial District so it's a quick commute. Good bad/idea?

Good idea. Rents are cheaper there and you can live in MIMA like buildings without paying anywhere close to $5,000 for a one bedroom. My rent is roughly $1,200, but that's because I live with the GF.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:44 am

Fresh Prince wrote:How would you rate your experience so far?

8/10

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:33 pm

At what point in the Vault rankings do exit options for Corporate attorneys start to become materially worse?

What sort of skills does it take to be a successful corporate attorney at your firm?

What are some of the typical task a junior, such as yourself, finds yourself on at your firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Did you enjoy the curriculum in law school? What about LRW? If not, do you find the work you are currently involved in more satisfying/entertaining?

Do you feel that there is more client interaction in corporate than in litigation?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:55 pm

advice for converting an SA into an offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:47 pm

Are you working at your firm's home office, or one of their satellite offices? If the latter, can you say anything about the potential disconnect, different culture, or perhaps diminished opportunities at a satellite office? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Do you have time to party bro?

boosk

Postby boosk » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:34 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”