Contacting Interviewer for Decision Update

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Contacting Interviewer for Decision Update

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:44 pm

How do I contact an interviewer for a decision update without coming off as pestering? Interviewed with government agency two months ago and heard nothing since then. Called two weeks after initial date they set for decisions, and they said they would decide within the next week. Now it has been over 3 weeks since that phone call. Wondering if I should call them again, and if so, how do I ask them without sounding desperate/annoying? I'm a 1L with nothing lined up yet and this is my dream gig. It seemed like they were really busy but I'm getting kind of worried since I don't have a job this late in the game.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Contacting Interviewer for Decision Update

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do I contact an interviewer for a decision update without coming off as pestering? Interviewed with government agency two months ago and heard nothing since then. Called two weeks after initial date they set for decisions, and they said they would decide within the next week. Now it has been over 3 weeks since that phone call. Wondering if I should call them again, and if so, how do I ask them without sounding desperate/annoying? I'm a 1L with nothing lined up yet and this is my dream gig. It seemed like they were really busy but I'm getting kind of worried since I don't have a job this late in the game.


You can call/email for an update since it's way past the time frame they gave you, so it's understandable, and it shows that you are still interested. Anecdote: I applied to a gov agency in Jan. 7-8 weeks went by, nothing. Ran into someone from the agency (not one I interviewed with) at a school function, mentioned that I never heard and was still interested, got an offer the next day. Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Contacting Interviewer for Decision Update

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:29 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do I contact an interviewer for a decision update without coming off as pestering? Interviewed with government agency two months ago and heard nothing since then. Called two weeks after initial date they set for decisions, and they said they would decide within the next week. Now it has been over 3 weeks since that phone call. Wondering if I should call them again, and if so, how do I ask them without sounding desperate/annoying? I'm a 1L with nothing lined up yet and this is my dream gig. It seemed like they were really busy but I'm getting kind of worried since I don't have a job this late in the game.


You can call/email for an update since it's way past the time frame they gave you, so it's understandable, and it shows that you are still interested. Anecdote: I applied to a gov agency in Jan. 7-8 weeks went by, nothing. Ran into someone from the agency (not one I interviewed with) at a school function, mentioned that I never heard and was still interested, got an offer the next day. Good luck!

Thanks. It is just that this will be the 2nd time I'm calling for an update so it just feels weird. Don't know what to say at this point other than what's taking so long. Do you think it is off-putting if I said I would accept on the spot if offered?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Contacting Interviewer for Decision Update

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. It is just that this will be the 2nd time I'm calling for an update so it just feels weird. Don't know what to say at this point other than what's taking so long. Do you think it is off-putting if I said I would accept on the spot if offered?


No it's perfectly okay, everyone is eager to get their summer plans squared away. If you feel this strongly about the position, say so, got nothing to lose. They are not going to turn you down for wanting to work there so much.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.