What to say in Followup E-mail two weeks after 2nd interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to say in Followup E-mail two weeks after 2nd interview

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Hello,

So I had a second interview with my top choice firm for a summer position 2 weeks ago, but have not heard back yet. They said they do not have any set schedule or never gave me a time frame in my first interview. (It was 3.5 weeks even before I heard they wanted to interview me for a second time).

I would like to follow up with my main contact asking when they expect to make a decision, but could use some help from you experienced TLSers of how to most tactfully ask without sounding impatient of when they will make a decision. Thank you so much!

r6_philly

Re: What to say in Followup E-mail two weeks after 2nd interview

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello,

So I had a second interview with my top choice firm for a summer position 2 weeks ago, but have not heard back yet. They said they do not have any set schedule or never gave me a time frame in my first interview. (It was 3.5 weeks even before I heard they wanted to interview me for a second time).

I would like to follow up with my main contact asking when they expect to make a decision, but could use some help from you experienced TLSers of how to most tactfully ask without sounding impatient of when they will make a decision. Thank you so much!

If you have another offer/deadline then you can mention what your time frame is. If you don't really have a time frame yourself then I would just leave them a lone for at least one more week. one to two weeks is about the earliest I heard back from out of all my callbacks. Considering they took a while to get to you after the screener I wouldn't expect them to really move quickly. 1L hiring is not like 2L hiring, they don't really have a schedule to keep.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:05 am

Not OP. I took the approach that r6 advises here a little while back, in that I told them I had some deadlines coming up and didn't know how to proceed with them given that said firm was where I wanted to be most, which is true. Was told when the next hiring committee would be and to expect a call immediately after, whether with good or bad news I guess. I just mentioned it professionally and it didn't seem to be a problem, but I'm in a secondary market so maybe they are more easy going here.

Don't know how to proceed, or if you even should, without other offers of any type in hand that have looming deadlines. Could just come off as overly anxious and likely to jump the gun on things. HTH.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:25 pm

don't email. call the hiring partner or a partner you met with. tell them what a great time you had interviewing and why you would be a great fit. then ask when to expect a decision.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:33 pm

OP: Do you have any other offers ? If not, don't push them because it seems obvious that they can survive without you. But, do send a thank you email indicating your interest in the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:don't email. call the hiring partner or a partner you met with. tell them what a great time you had interviewing and why you would be a great fit. then ask when to expect a decision.

I did this with the HP (who I'd interviewed with) and landed the offer about 3 weeks after the callback. Make sure that you hit on your main selling points as to what you can bring to the firm, as opposed to why you love the firm. This is your last shot, so make it your best shot.

Other offer in hand not necessary. I didn't have one at the time. I said it was my top choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:59 am

If you don't have an offer yet they are looking for someone better or unsure if they want to hire you---be very careful about doing anything to move you from the "hold but don't reject yet" pile to the "reject pile."

frank galvin

Postby frank galvin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:11 pm

I credit calling greatly. Be proactive and get them on the phone. Emails are too easy to ignore.

Return to “Legal Employment”