Summer at one office, start after graduation at another...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer at one office, start after graduation at another...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:21 pm

It looks like my plans for post-grad might be changing. Spending the summer in a CA office, but it is increasingly likely I'd want to actually work for the firm in another office.

How should I approach this? Clearly it seems like waiting til after the summer and having an actual offer is key, but beyond that how easy is it to do this? I guess it is probably just one of those things that varies from firm to firm?

Anonymous User

Re: Summer at one office, start after graduation at another...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:36 pm

Depends on the firm. I asked my firm and was denied due to lack of work in the office I wanted to move to. But I know a couple of people who were able to make the switch. One did so based on interest in a specific practice area.

.375 H&H Mag.

Postby .375 H&H Mag. » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Is it too late to ask to split? I've heard of firms being rather amenable to this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:50 pm

.375 H&H Mag. wrote:Is it too late to ask to split? I've heard of firms being rather amenable to this.

Yeah, I think it is too late (and might make me look flaky at this point). Don't think my firm is super into splits in general, they never mentioned interoffice splits at all (whereas some firms almost advocate this).

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:31 pm

Get the offer first, and then inquire once it's in hand. it won't hurt (too much) to ask.

Return to “Legal Employment”