Harris County DA's Office

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Andreeai1980

Harris County DA's Office

Postby Andreeai1980 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Does anybody have any experience with the Harris County (Houston) District Attorney's office, in particular whether they hire out of state graduates?

My fiancee is relocating to Houston. I go to school in Florida and am thinking to relocate after I graduate (2013). I would like to know if the office is hiring graduates that have shown an interest in prosecution, interned with the local DA's office, participated in mock trial competitions, etc, but did not intern with the Harris DA, nor is a graduate of a Texan school. (I plan on taking both the Tx and Fla Bar exams)

Any input will be appreciated.

Thank you! :-)

kalvano

Re: Harris County DA's Office

Postby kalvano » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:40 pm

They have an extremely strong preference for in-state people who worked with them over the summers. Extremely strong.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:55 pm

kalvano wrote:They have an extremely strong preference for in-state people who worked with them over the summers. Extremely strong.

This.

I know people who work there and they are very intent on hiring from the in-state crowd. I think one of their emails said the hire only from those who worked there over the summer.

Andreeai1980

Postby Andreeai1980 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:12 am

Thank you

Any info on the surrounding counties?

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:16 am

Andreeai1980 wrote:Thank you

Any info on the surrounding counties?

I'd check in on Fort Bend County. I think that would be the easiest to make work if your so is in Houston. Maybe Waller.

station4

Postby station4 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:11 am

Last edited by station4 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:31 am

I think you could only have a chance at being hired after you pass the TX bar exam, but even then, it’s a long shot.
From their website: “Generally only a person who is a licensed attorney can expect to be interviewed for a position as an assistant district attorney. In exceptional circumstances, a person who has graduated law school, taken the Texas Bar Exam and is awaiting test results may be considered for an interview.”

I hear that the office has recently lost a lot of staff with no immediate plans to hire more. It might not be a great work environment because of the current leadership or lack of staff. Maybe things will change by the time you’re looking for a job.

I knew several people with state clerkship who applied and were not even contacted for an interview — one top 10% UH, another from UT.

FWIW, I knew someone from out-of-state TTT that was a summer intern there. (He also had previous prosecution internship elsewhere, but grades were not super). So you might consider that if you want to get your foot in the door.
Although not restricted to Harris County, I also recommend checking this site http://www.tdcaa.com/job_bank

edit: and yes to everyone suggesting the surrounding counties.

station4

Postby station4 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:09 pm

http://harriscountycriminaljustice.blogspot.com/

OP, this is a pretty widely read blog around the criminal law legal community in Houston. It is written by a former Harris County ADA/current defense attorney. It mostly focuses on the HCDA's office, though occasionally it will talk about adjoining counties. You might find it interesting and it is definitely worth perusing to get the flavor of how things are going down there right now.

Andreeai1980

Postby Andreeai1980 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:56 pm

Thank you all for your replies :-)

merc280

Postby merc280 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:29 pm

Harris County is pretty tight on hiring right now, and it might be the same case with other counties too.

Return to “Legal Employment”