Clerkship Interview Question: Why "x" Judge

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkship Interview Question: Why "x" Judge

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:57 am

I have an interview coming up with a state supreme court judge and in my preparations im struggling to prepare an answer for why x judge. I have answers for why I want to clerk, why I want that Court, but the particular judge is where I'm struggling. Obviously no one can answer that for me especially without knowing who the judge is, but does anyone have any ideas on how this question is usually answered. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Clerkship Interview Question: Why "x" Judge

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:40 pm

I never got that question in about a half dozen or so clerkship interviews (all USDC judges). I did get the "why do you want to clerk," and "why do you want to clerk in this new city you'd have to move to," but never the judge-specific question. Though there were a few judges that I had a specific reason for wanting to clerk for him/her (reputation for writing great opinions, knew someone in the chambers, etc.), and I made sure to work that in. Perhaps not surprisingly, I ended up taking an offer from one of those.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Lowly 1L, but I've heard the best way to do this is to locate former clerks and talk to them about the experience of clerking for the judge.

steve_nash

Postby steve_nash » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:57 pm

I agree with the above sentiments. If you're in a time crunch, however, I would research the opinions written by the judge (including dissents). If you're lucky, the judge will have a distinctive writing style, such as using quotations from literature, metaphors, etc. That could be worked into an answer, which an earlier commenter noted, but I wanted to highlight it. Beyond opinions, you could research the judge's background -- was he a trial judge before being on the supreme court? At least in my experience, judges who have trial experience versus judges who only have appellate experience approach the decision process differently (more attention to the record, for example). Are you in a state where the judges are elected? Perhaps the judge made some remarks during his "campaign" that caught your attention and impressed you, etc. etc.

If it is any comfort, I don't think that question gets asked very often.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:58 pm

Was also not asked this during clerkship interviews. But I think it's probably good practice to read some of the judge's past decisions before interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:08 am

OP-- Thanks everyone. I did speak to a former clerk of his and got an opportunity to speak with him about the clerkship. I'm still not sure how I would work that into a question though. Would something like "After speaking with formerclerk about this experience he raved about the amount the autonomy that was given to him as compared to some of his colleagues. This is something that is very important to me."

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:16 am

I actually got some version of this question twice ("why'd you ask so many people to call me"/"why'd you apply to me"). I just said I read their decisions, liked them, had an example or two.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:22 am

How do you guys locate former clerks? I haven't been able to find clerks for two judges that previously interviewed me.

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:25 am

Your school may keep records of where former students clerked, and people who attended your school are usually the most willing to take questions. Otherwise, there's google.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:How do you guys locate former clerks? I haven't been able to find clerks for two judges that previously interviewed me.

Firm bios + google = success

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:44 am

My answer was cuban food, but thats kinda judge specific.

Return to “Legal Employment”