Existential Angst

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lisjjen

Existential Angst

Postby lisjjen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:35 am

So I came to law school to do policy stuff. Regulatory advisement, administrative law, government contracts, etc. I have worked on the Hill and my Dad works in environmental law. It's basically the only reason I came to law school. Now I'm finding I kinda enjoy Real Estate, I am getting some great connections in it, and Texas is one of the few states in the union with a strong and expanding Real Estate market.

So I know what I do my first summer out has no bearing on what I do my second summer and after school, but the time will eventually come when I have to make a choice. Do I go with what I've always loved or something new? Is there any way to do both? Like at the same time as a practicing lawyer. Or maybe focusing my career on one and then moving on to another?

bceagles182

Re: Existential Angst

Postby bceagles182 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:42 am

You don't need to make this decision until you have offers in hand in both fields.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:48 am

bceagles182 wrote:You don't need to make this decision until you have offers in hand in both fields.

(a) Maybe if I was just kicking back and waiting for CSO to do all the legwork for me but since I'm not I'm trying to gauge where to invest my efforts and (b) I could take a gig in a big TX city doing Real Estate transactional work this summer or go do a legal fellowship for a Rep in Washington DC (c) this is my 1000th comment.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:59 am

Having Real Estate experience is not bad for working in policy. It will give you an on-the-ground perspective when thinking about policy in the future. You'll know what you're talking about because you've seen it in action.

I'm saying this in case you plan on a career change in 5 years. Policy isn't out of the question.

Return to “Legal Employment”