Wall Street Journal / keeping up on business world? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Wall Street Journal / keeping up on business world?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:03 pm

This may be a very silly / dumb question but just curious for someone who does not pay that much attention to the news in the business world, would reading such things as the WSJ / generally keeping "up" with the topic be of great help in biglaw interviews?

drmguy

Silver

Re: Wall Street Journal / keeping up on business world?

Post by drmguy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:13 pm

Why is this anonymous?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:43 pm

DealBook is probably more relevant, but definitely not required and reference to such events ineptly would have more of a negative effect than a positive one.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:20 pm

Dealbook is good if you are trying to do corporate. It's at least good to see some of the names of the players so if they get name dropped, you don't blank stare back. It's probably most useful to search Dealbook for whatever firms you are interviewing at just before the interview to see if you can find talking points.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:22 pm

In 25+ screening interviews and numerous callbacks, no one I ever spoke to at a firm expected me to have anything but the vaguest notion of what was happening in the economy or the business world. YMMV.

That said, it might be worth getting a bit of a background for your own edification. When I took Corporations, I wished I knew more going in about how corporations are structured, shareholder relations, M&A issues, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:25 pm

It's really not expected of you to know any of this stuff. If you have some pre-existing passion or experience, then it helps to talk about in terms of your reasons to want to work at a big firm. But aside from that, you really don't have to know anything about it.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:16 am

Wall Street Journal? That commie rag?

Kidding, kidding.

Probably not necessary for work, like the above posters have said...

That said, you should probably read a newspaper (while they still exist) to, you know, keep abreast of the world outside your office.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:24 am

Try "liking" some finance/corporate-type pages on facebook (WSJ, Dealbook, Barron's, Marketwatch, CNN Money, Financial Times, etc.). Updates will pop up on your newsfeed, which certainly makes things more convenient.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”