Where to live in D.C. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Where to live in D.C.

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:22 pm

I just received an offer from a firm in D.C. to start as an associate in a few months. I'm trying to make a decision fairly quickly, but I'm not very familiar with the D.C. area. I'm married and have one child. We'll need at least a two bedroom apartment and I'd like to have as short of a commute as possible. If anyone has any recommendations on areas where we should look at living and estimates on the price of rent in those areas, we'd appreciate it.

Bobby Jones

New

Re: Where to live in D.C.

Post by Bobby Jones » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:32 pm

If you want to be in DC, Columbia Heights is hard to beat. It's not as expensive as Dupont, Foggy Bottom, Capitol Hill, etc., but it's very metro-accessible (unlike Adams Morgan), there's a lot to do, and it has the only Target in DC. The price varies a lot depending on the building and how close you are to the metro. $2,000 a month for a nice 2 bedroom is probably as low as you'll get.

If you want something less expensive, I would really recommend looking at Arlington/Clarendon and the surrounding area. Slightly better prices, short commute, safe area.

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:34 pm

Bobby Jones wrote:If you want to be in DC, Columbia Heights is hard to beat. It's not as expensive as Dupont, Foggy Bottom, Capitol Hill, etc., but it's very metro-accessible (unlike Adams Morgan), there's a lot to do, and it has the only Target in DC. The price varies a lot depending on the building and how close you are to the metro. $2,000 a month for a nice 2 bedroom is probably as low as you'll get.

If you want something less expensive, I would really recommend looking at Arlington/Clarendon and the surrounding area. Slightly better prices, short commute, safe area.
I second this.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:33 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:
Bobby Jones wrote:If you want to be in DC, Columbia Heights is hard to beat. It's not as expensive as Dupont, Foggy Bottom, Capitol Hill, etc., but it's very metro-accessible (unlike Adams Morgan), there's a lot to do, and it has the only Target in DC. The price varies a lot depending on the building and how close you are to the metro. $2,000 a month for a nice 2 bedroom is probably as low as you'll get.

I second this.
I agree too, what general neighborhood is the firm in though?

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:41 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:

I second this.
I agree too, what general neighborhood is the firm in though?
Shouldn't be a problem for K. By the way, the commute seems a lot worse if you only look at the metro. Don't neglect the bus. If that's too far, Logan Circle would be even closer to downtown. I know some people who have decently priced places in the SW and Capitol Hill. Those are both pretty quiet areas.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:43 pm

Most of this is correct, but the area advertised as "Columbia Heights" includes some areas that are not ones where I would want to live with a wife and a small child. If you wanted to go for ultimate convenience and a safe neighborhood, I would look in the West End. It won't come cheap though.

DC is a weird city (relative to some) because you can go 2-3 blocks and be in a totally different socio-economic setting. I would probably advocate for Northern VA if you have a family. Arlington, Clarendon, and Alexandria are all nice, safe and family oriented. The commute will be slightly longer, but not by much.

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:46 pm

bdubs wrote:

Most of this is correct, but the area advertised as "Columbia Heights" includes some areas that are not ones where I would want to live with a wife and a small child. If you wanted to go for ultimate convenience and a safe neighborhood, I would look in the West End. It won't come cheap though.

DC is a weird city (relative to some) because you can go 2-3 blocks and be in a totally different socio-economic setting. I would probably advocate for Northern VA if you have a family. Arlington, Clarendon, and Alexandria are all nice, safe and family oriented. The commute will be slightly longer, but not by much.
Yeah, if bland is what you seek, Crystal City is hard to beat.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:49 pm

bdubs wrote:

Out of all the places in NoVA, Crystal City is probably the most boring. If I were in OPs situation I would be looking near King Street in Alexandria.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:49 pm

Clarendon is crazy expensive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronze

Post by 1212 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:58 pm

bdubs wrote:

+1

I really liked living in Crystal City. While it is very quiet and "bland" (read: safe), it is easy to get to the exciting places. I stayed at the Buchanan. --LinkRemoved--

There are also really wonderful running trails nearby which were my favorite part of living there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:24 pm

OP here. Thanks, everyone for your advice! We'd definitely like to avoid living anywhere that isn't safe, I'm going to be spending a ton of time at the office and I don't want to have to worry about my wife and child being safe. Crystal City/Arlington sounds like a really good option. I've heard that the taxes are a lot better in VA than in MD or D.C. proper. Is the easiest way to commute from Arlington to downtown D.C. (white house area) the metro? How long is the average commute?

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:25 pm

14th steer corridor NW between K and U is TCR. Columbia Heighs is sketchy as fck.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks, everyone for your advice! We'd definitely like to avoid living anywhere that isn't safe, I'm going to be spending a ton of time at the office and I don't want to have to worry about my wife and child being safe. Crystal City/Arlington sounds like a really good option. I've heard that the taxes are a lot better in VA than in MD or D.C. proper. Is the easiest way to commute from Arlington to downtown D.C. (white house area) the metro? How long is the average commute?
"A lot" is a stretch, but they are better. Especially if your wife is working and you're collectively pulling in a lot more than $170k.

Commute from Clarendon to Farragut West is 10 minutes of subway travel time. When you're working late you might have to wait 10-15 minutes for a train, but you should be able to take a cab when it's really late though. Cab is only 15 min.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:27 pm

With a kid, CoHe would be a disaster. I'd personally shoot for Cleveland Park if I were you, it's in DC, it's a really nice and fun area, and (as fits the name) there are a few parks and good kid-friendly areas nearby. Plus it's on the red line so your commute will be minimal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:40 pm

I live in 14th street corridor around 14th and n. While it is a great place for 20 something's with a lot going on, it can get rough around 14 and r and s and anything in lower numbers depending on how far east you go into shaw. 15-17 and p are ideal, and as the numbers go higher toward DuPont, prices go up but so do the quality of the living areas for family.

I lived in southwest, and I don't know how much I would recommend it for a family. Maybe look at woodley or Cleveland park for some close metros and beautiful family oriented neighborhoods. Maybe also check out mount pleasant.

gunner3

New

Post by gunner3 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:58 pm

Columbia Heights would be a disaster if you have a kid. I'd shoot for NoVa

fanmingrui

Bronze

Post by fanmingrui » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:06 am

I live in Arlington and love it. NoVa is definitely TCR if you're looking for a blend of value, convenience, and safety.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bobby Jones

New

Post by Bobby Jones » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:17 am

IDK, I've known a lot of lawyers with kids who lived in Columbia Heights. It is patchy, so maybe not the best place for someone new. Around U Street is more sketchy though. Cleveland Park is a credited option for someone with a family.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:26 am

OP here. Would I have to take one or multiple trains to get from Arlington to the office? Are there sketchy parts of Arlington that we should avoid?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Would I have to take one or multiple trains to get from Arlington to the office? Are there sketchy parts of Arlington that we should avoid?
Where is your office? It's unlikely that you would have to take multiple trains. Most DC law firms are either in/around the K St corridor, or in the Chinatown/Federal Triangle area. Both of those areas are very close to the Orange/Blue line metros which run to the two areas of Arlington that are metro accessible.

Most of the areas near metro stations in Arlington are safe. I would only avoid Rosslyn because it's very commercial and kind of a deadzone after working hours.

koalatriste

Bronze

Post by koalatriste » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:56 am

manhattan.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:02 am

Op again. Are there parts of Arlington that would be less safe to live in?

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:05 am

koalatriste wrote:manhattan.
Nah Weehawken.

Bobby Jones

New

Post by Bobby Jones » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Op again. Are there parts of Arlington that would be less safe to live in?
Rosslyn got kinda hairy this past summer when a million bikers showed up for a motorcycle convention or something. But seriously, Arlington is about as white bread as it gets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T1RMuoQnKo

thatgirlthere

New

Post by thatgirlthere » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:42 am

For a safe area + cheap rent + great living for your wife and child + easy commute, you could look a little farther from the city. I lived in Old Town Alexandria near a metro and my commute to Foggy Bottom became much easier when I moved to Lorton. There’s also Springfield. There is the VRE train to get to the city, you can drive on the HOV lane w/ the carpool system (called slug line) or you could drive from the metro stations there. Lorton also was more family oriented, suburban life. In these areas there are plenty of townhomes and apartments, local and state parks, and it’s really safe. (not only regarding crime, but w/ traffic, women pushing strollers down the sidewalk)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”