Boston Summer Housing?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BarCliff

Boston Summer Housing?

Postby BarCliff » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:41 am

I'm a 1L that just accepted an offer for a summer associate position in Boston. However, I'm completely unfamiliar with the city and am having some trouble finding a place to live. My first choice was living in some university dorms; however, all of the universities that offer summer housing only offer it for undergrad interns or require roommates (which I do not want). The rental price doesn't really matter that much (hurray loans). As far as location goes, the office I'm working at is in the Seaport area.

Main requirements:
-No roommates
-Not too difficult to get to get to the Seaport area

Does anyone know which part of Boston would be good to focus my search on? And any more specific suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.

monkey85

Re: Boston Summer Housing?

Postby monkey85 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:22 am

Resources:
- boston.craigslist.org
- airbnb.com

I used the above to search for housing. I can't suggest which neighborhoods, unfortunately, since I am not from Boston and am just working their for the summer. My two criteria were price (sub $1000/month) and being able to walk to work (Back Bay).

Hopefully others will chime in for your neighborhood needs.

TB12

Postby TB12 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:48 am

http://www.cityofboston.gov/neighborhoods/

That map should help so you know what I'm talking about. As far as areas go:

Your best bet is probably to live in the North End if you're mostly concerned about ease of getting to work. It's also one of the more expensive areas, but all you have to do is hop on Atlantic Ave in the morning to get to work (assuming you have a car). Beacon Hill is also very close but again it's probably one of the more pricey areas in Boston (it kind of has the reputation of being a little "upitidy" and elitist).

Bay Village and Back Bay are both pretty nice and slightly more affordable. Most of the place in Back Bay are really easy to get to the Green Line from which you can take to the Downtown stop or State Street (both of which are close to the Seaport area). After that, Fenway/Kenmore, Allston/Brighton and you're looking at more of college areas. There are lots of cheap places around here and most are really close to the Green line. From Allston/Brighton you're probably looking at about a 20-30 min T ride in the mornings though.

Avoid South Boston. It's kind of become the "cool" place to live because of the criminal history of the area (Whitey Bulger and whatnot), but it's a pretty miserable place to live, IMO. Avoid Dorchester, Mattapan, Roxbury like the plague.

Honestly, as far as specific apartments go, just go on Craiglists. Boston is a college city and a lot of kids leave the city for the summer and sublet. There's usually a ton of 2-3 month sublets up on Craiglist over the summer. Hope that helps.

BarCliff

Postby BarCliff » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:08 am

TB12 wrote:http://www.cityofboston.gov/neighborhoods/

That map should help so you know what I'm talking about. As far as areas go:

Your best bet is probably to live in the North End if you're mostly concerned about ease of getting to work. It's also one of the more expensive areas, but all you have to do is hop on Atlantic Ave in the morning to get to work (assuming you have a car). Beacon Hill is also very close but again it's probably one of the more pricey areas in Boston (it kind of has the reputation of being a little "upitidy" and elitist).

Bay Village and Back Bay are both pretty nice and slightly more affordable. Most of the place in Back Bay are really easy to get to the Green Line from which you can take to the Downtown stop or State Street (both of which are close to the Seaport area). After that, Fenway/Kenmore, Allston/Brighton and you're looking at more of college areas. There are lots of cheap places around here and most are really close to the Green line. From Allston/Brighton you're probably looking at about a 20-30 min T ride in the mornings though.

Avoid South Boston. It's kind of become the "cool" place to live because of the criminal history of the area (Whitey Bulger and whatnot), but it's a pretty miserable place to live, IMO. Avoid Dorchester, Mattapan, Roxbury like the plague.

Honestly, as far as specific apartments go, just go on Craiglists. Boston is a college city and a lot of kids leave the city for the summer and sublet. There's usually a ton of 2-3 month sublets up on Craiglist over the summer. Hope that helps.

Very helpful, thank you very much.

Return to “Legal Employment”