How to handle Dewey (or similar firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sunynp

Re: How to handle Dewey (or similar firms)

Postby sunynp » Thu May 03, 2012 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sunynp wrote:FInally an article for the summers who had been left out of the reporting so far:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/busin ... track.html

With Dewey’s announcement, these students’ careful, fastidiously risk-averse career planning collapsed under them, and they fell off the job track not just for Dewey but for its peer firms. Of the dozens of major firms contacted for this article, only one had picked up one of these stranded summer associates, and that was because one of its partners had a personal connection to the student.

The others all declined to comment, with the exception of one firm spokeswoman who said her firm did not have any openings, but even if it did, it would hire someone from its own shortlist rather than extend an offer to one of the Dewey students.

“We all got into multiple places but just picked the wrong one,” said Mr. Aitchison, the only one of several associates interviewed for this article who was willing to be identified. “Now every other program is full, and it’s not like they’re going to all adjust their plans to accommodate the failure of this one.”

I'm not saying that Andrew Aitchison isn't a summer, but his name did not appear on the SA roster, nor did his name or initials appear in the firm's e-mails "to" list. Not that it really matters, just a strange thing. If the article is true, this destroys more hope for biglaw prospects this summer.

You think the Times would confirm that he was a summer somehow, but who knows, maybe he used a fake name. Then again their accuracy rate when it comes to stories on biglaw is pretty low.

The article seems to think that pressure from career services might help. The firm might feel that if they help out a Dewey kid the career services will help sell them to the students in the future. I would hope that career services at a good school has enough pull to get a student in this situation a job.

But the article doesn't consider that firms want to keep their no offer rate low (not that they would no offer dewey pickups but that they have specific limits for a reason.) Also, some hiring partners might hold a grudge against someone who turned them down for Dewey - but are people really that childish when the whole firm collapsed? If it was someone you made an offer to but turned you down, would you have an impulse to maybe pick them up? I think that the constraints of fixed class sizes are the bottom line issue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2012 12:15 am

The problem is that when I look at the SA roster, the schools are all top notch. NYU, Harvard, a Yale guy, Columbia, etc. etc. basically, T14 all around. Some schools will obviously have more or less pull than others, but I imagine that the difference is negligible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2012 1:24 am

6 Columbia
6 NYU
5 Fordham
3 GULC
3 Penn
2 Michigan
2 Cornell
2 Harvard
2 Yale
1 Berkeley
1 Duke
1 Howard
1 New England
1 Northwestern
1 Stanford
1 Vanderbilt

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Thu May 03, 2012 1:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:6 Columbia
6 NYU
5 Fordham
3 GULC
3 Penn
2 Michigan
2 Cornell
2 Harvard
2 Yale
1 Berkeley
1 Duke
1 Howard
1 New England
1 Northwestern
1 Stanford
1 Vanderbilt

Poor guy from NESL- went from being king of the school back to being one of the herd.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2012 1:40 am

6 NYU
5 Fordham
3 GULC
3 Penn
2 Michigan
2 Cornell
2 Harvard
2 Yale
1 Berkeley
1 Duke
1 Howard
1 New England
1 Northwestern
1 Stanford
1 Vanderbilt

Something is wrong. It doesn't include the GULC student, and I know at least 2 from UVA.

randomdandom

Postby randomdandom » Thu May 03, 2012 2:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
6 NYU
5 Fordham
3 GULC
3 Penn
2 Michigan
2 Cornell
2 Harvard
2 Yale
1 Berkeley
1 Duke
1 Howard
1 New England
1 Northwestern
1 Stanford
1 Vanderbilt

Something is wrong. It doesn't include the GULC student, and I know at least 2 from UVA.

Also missing the two west coast summers, neither of which go to Berkeley or Stanford. Might this be the list of first years who are out of a job? If so, this journalist really screwed the pooch by confusing SOL first years with SOL SAs. Either way, we're all SOL i guess.

EDIT: This was not from the article. Rather, it's from Anon above. Hey Anon, what gives? Where did you get this wildly inaccurate info?

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:28 am

This whole thing has scared the shit out of me. Like many others, I interviewed for their NY office this summer, and I ended up elsewhere completely by chance. I obviously dodged a huge bullet, but I'm still shocked by how quickly the rug got pulled out from under these kids. Really, who's to say that it couldn't happen to any of us?

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:32 am

bceagles182 wrote:This whole thing has scared the shit out of me. Like many others, I interviewed for their NY office this summer, and I ended up elsewhere completely by chance. I obviously dodged a huge bullet, but I'm still shocked by how quickly the rug got pulled out from under these kids. Really, who's to say that it couldn't happen to any of us?

What should really keep you up is what happens if Italy, and Spain fall apart and the economy double dips. It won't just be 30 SA's it'll be 1000 No offer pwnd.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:51 am

Desert Fox wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:This whole thing has scared the shit out of me. Like many others, I interviewed for their NY office this summer, and I ended up elsewhere completely by chance. I obviously dodged a huge bullet, but I'm still shocked by how quickly the rug got pulled out from under these kids. Really, who's to say that it couldn't happen to any of us?

What should really keep you up is what happens if Italy, and Spain fall apart and the economy double dips. It won't just be 30 SA's it'll be 1000 No offer pwnd.

Holy buzz kill

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2012 8:40 am

randomdandom wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
6 NYU
5 Fordham
3 GULC
3 Penn
2 Michigan
2 Cornell
2 Harvard
2 Yale
1 Berkeley
1 Duke
1 Howard
1 New England
1 Northwestern
1 Stanford
1 Vanderbilt

Also missing the two west coast summers, neither of which go to Berkeley or Stanford. Might this be the list of first years who are out of a job? If so, this journalist really screwed the pooch by confusing SOL first years with SOL SAs. Either way, we're all SOL i guess.

EDIT: This was not from the article. Rather, it's from Anon above. Hey Anon, what gives? Where did you get this wildly inaccurate info?

It's not last summer's class - it was smaller and entirely T14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2012 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
6 NYU
5 Fordham
3 GULC
3 Penn
2 Michigan
2 Cornell
2 Harvard
2 Yale
1 Berkeley
1 Duke
1 Howard
1 New England
1 Northwestern
1 Stanford
1 Vanderbilt

This is only the New York class and comes from an e-mail from recruiting sent November 7th.

Screenshot:

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:1 New England

Wow do I feel sorry for that guy. Like winning the lottery only to have the ticket get run over by a lawnmower and have the dog eat the remains.

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:23 am

timbs4339 wrote:

Wow do I feel sorry for that guy. Like winning the lottery only to have the ticket get run over by a lawnmower and have the dog eat the remains.

He probably has great grades, maybe even good enough to clerk. The t14ers don't have great grades and are going to be pwnd.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu May 03, 2012 11:33 am

Desert Fox wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:

He probably has great grades, maybe even good enough to clerk. The t14ers don't have great grades and are going to be pwnd.

Yea, he/she is probably #1 or 2 in the class, which is >>>> then not so great grades at a T14.

I hope everyone lands on their feet though. This whole mess is terrible, and could happen to any of us. I know of a few people that SA'ed at Howrey when it collapsed, they all ended up at other big firms. Hopefully, the same will happen to everyone it that class - I think other firms will understand the predicament.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu May 03, 2012 11:40 am

Blindmelon wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:

Yea, he/she is probably #1 or 2 in the class, which is >>>> then not so great grades at a T14.

I hope everyone lands on their feet though. This whole mess is terrible, and could happen to any of us. I know of a few people that SA'ed at Howrey when it collapsed, they all ended up at other big firms. Hopefully, the same will happen to everyone it that class - I think other firms will understand the predicament.

I hope so. I think the 3Ls or the would have been incoming 1st years are in the worst possible position. They have no permanent job just before graduating. I wonder if the 3Ls will at least qualify for stipends from their schools while they look for another job. Nothing like feeling biglaw secure, planning out how you were going to budget your $160,000 paycheck and repay your loans and then losing your job before you even work for one day.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu May 03, 2012 11:57 am

Seriously surprised that this was big enough to make the WSJ breaking news banner. I've never seen anything law firm related make such a splash in the business community:

Last edited by thesealocust on Thu May 03, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu May 03, 2012 12:02 pm

thesealocust wrote:Seriously surprised that this was big enough to make the WSJ breaking news banner. I've never seen anything law firm related make such a splash in teh business community:

I think that Mort Pierce is a well-known M&A guy(but unlike Bienenstock and Kessler I had never heard of him) And I think everyone knows this is the end, not that it wasn't obvious anyway.

It is all so very sad for the hundreds of people who are losing their jobs with no severance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2012 1:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:

This is in poor taste and, at least in my case, false.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:

This is in poor taste and, at least in my case, false.

It is in poor taste, but the Dewey median GPA at my T14 was below the class median.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2012 1:13 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:It is in poor taste, but the Dewey median GPA at my T14 was below the class median.

@ my T14 too, but the one person going there already had another job lined up before shit hit the fan.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2012 1:24 pm

The NYT article is not entirely consistent with the way things have been playing out over the past two weeks. The article says that out of dozens of firms contacted, only 1 expressed any interest. Depending on when the article was written + research, things could have changed once Dewey official cancelled the summer program. Other firms could be more willingly to take on jobless former-SAs than poach potentially jobless current-but-shaky-SAs.

Maybe that's because the supposed SA for the article went to GULC. At my school, OCS has been very active, and more than a dozen firms have indicated some interest - taking resumes, scheduling phone interviews and callbacks. I am still hopefully of securing a SA at a different V50 firm, with a couple callbacks lined up in and around final exams.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu May 03, 2012 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The NYT article is not entirely consistent with the way things have been playing out over the past two weeks. The article says that out of dozens of firms contacted, only 1 expressed any interest. Depending on when the article was written + research, things could have changed once Dewey official cancelled the summer program. Other firms could be more willingly to take on jobless former-SAs than poach potentially jobless current-but-shaky-SAs.

Maybe that's because the supposed SA for the article went to GULC. At my school, OCS has been very active, and more than a dozen firms have indicated some interest - taking resumes, scheduling phone interviews and callbacks. I am still hopefully of securing a SA at a different V50 firm, with a couple callbacks lined up in and around final exams.

I think the article was written less than 24 hours ago, it went up yesterday sometime. Who knows what is really happening? Firms aren't willing to commit to anything to a newspaper reporter. The firm doesn't want to say sure we have room/ will consider taking someone because if they end up not taking anyone, the firm look bad. I think firms are probably willing to help but they aren't going to say anything on the record. Still it isn't going to be easy to find another job at this late date.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2012 1:34 pm

My OCS has been very active, but I haven't been contacted by any firms for interviews. Is there any way for a mod to put us in contact with each other to exchange information?

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu May 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My OCS has been very active, but I haven't been contacted by any firms for interviews. Is there any way for a mod to put us in contact with each other to exchange information?

maybe this is just my schools OCS... but I feel like youd be much better off attempting to get the interviews yourself

if im reading this out of context ignore it

Return to “Legal Employment”