How to handle Dewey (or similar firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sunynp

Re: How to handle Dewey (or similar firms)

Postby sunynp » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:39 pm

In case you missed it ATL has the memo:

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/04/we-dont- ... l-probe/2/

DEWEY & LEBOEUF — MEMORANDUM — CANCELED SUMMER PROGRAM

Over the last few weeks, we have received calls from law students asking about Dewey & LeBoeuf’s plans for our 2012 summer associate program in light of the ongoing press coverage of the firm’s restructuring. We have, throughout this time, remained hopeful that we would be in a position to welcome our summer class to the firm. While each of our practice groups continues to achieve major accomplishments in the nation’s most exciting deals and cases, we have concluded after careful consideration that we should not proceed with our 2012 summer program.

We did not arrive at this decision lightly. We actively recruited you because you are a highly accomplished individual from one of the best law schools in the country, and we believe that you will have a successful career in the law. We are disappointed that we will not have the opportunity to work with you this summer.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:
MrAnon wrote:This is essentially a no offer.

Ask the Howrey SAs.

or the Latham SAs.

It's certainly not looked at, as far as future hiring goes, the same way.

Hell no. It is nothing at all like a no offer. MrAnon, get a clue. And I will go ask the Howery people. The one I know of from my school ended up at like Cleary or Weil or something.

Dewey SAs and 3Ls, I'll echo all the others ITT in saying that you guys will likely be okay. It would have been nice for you SAs to get a little experience down for resume purposes, but I think it is better this happened now than down the road through no offers and deferrals. You are all likely very well-credentialed individuals and you will find something respectable for this summer, and I am confident most of you will land on your feet at 3L OCI or (for your 3LS) soon. I definitely wouldn't call this a death knell for your career. Good luck to everybody.

And those pictures above made me lol. :lol: I think a sense of humor about it is a healthy thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:01 pm

The firm SAID they'd try to help us reach out and find alternative summer program. Think there's any chance they'll actually come through with that?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The firm SAID they'd try to help us reach out and find alternative summer program. Think there's any chance they'll actually come through with that?

Recruiting department probably doesn't have much else on their plates, but I wouldn't expect much from the attorneys themselves?

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:10 pm

Wow.. Really sorry to hear the news.

Another strategy that I don't think was mentioned is reaching out to partners with whom you possibly made a connection during the recruiting process. The chance that their new firm will take you on is slim, but worth a try.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The firm SAID they'd try to help us reach out and find alternative summer program. Think there's any chance they'll actually come through with that?

I personally wouldn't expect too much help. Not that they are maliciously trying to screw people over but the fact of the matter is they have to be concerned about their own jobs at this point. This ship is sinking and a lot of these people are soon to be out of work as well so I don't know how much time/energy they can devote to your new job search. I could be wrong and they could help place you guys but I would proceed as if you are on your own with this one and do what everyone has been saying in this thread, talk to your CSO and mail/email your stuff out there. You guys had the credentials to get this job in the first place so you are attractive candidates.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:46 pm

I actually have some productive advice about this. When my aunt was going on to be out of the work force raising her kid for a couple of years, a friend told her to get letters of recommendation from the people she was working with, like get actual letters, not just a promise they will write one in the future.

I would contact the hiring partner and any one else you developed a relationship with , and get a written letter, saying that something ANYTHING about how they had been impressed with you wish they could have worked with you, etc. Just make sure it reflects YOU specifically. It might not seem like much but it is nice to have something specific with your name on it,from a firm partner, rather than a generic letter they might give to all SAs.

This might seem like a waste of time - but it will also serve the purpose of reminding the partner about you, reminding them that they hired you and, in effect, it may help you in the future. You don't want to try to track them down in September to ask for something that shows you were going to be an SA.

I would also ask them (anyone you ask to write you a letter) about keeping in touch and helping you find something else going forward.

I guess I am saying, you never know, but a letter is always better than nothing. Even if they can't discuss your work, they were willing to hire you.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:50 pm

the firm is going bankrupt and people are probably going to jail. i'm not as confident as some of you that associates and partners are really in any position to put pen to paper to talk about how great a 3L they spent 10 weeks with or better yet a 2L they spent 20 minutes with is.

worth a try, I guess, but I'd rely on my own hustle instead of chasing rabbits down holes.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:51 pm

wiseowl wrote:the firm is going bankrupt and people are probably going to jail. i'm not as confident as some of you that associates and partners are really in any position to put pen to paper to talk about how great a 3L they spent 10 weeks with or better yet a 2L they spent 20 minutes with is.

worth a try, I guess, but I'd rely on my own hustle instead of chasing rabbits down holes.

It isn't clear that anyone is going to jail.

I know, but geez, the SAs need to get something and they owe you the time it takes to write a one paragraph letter.
Last edited by sunynp on Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WolfmansBrother

Postby WolfmansBrother » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:51 pm

sunynp wrote:I actually have some productive advice about this. When my aunt was going on to be out of the work force raising her kid for a couple of years, a friend told her to get letters of recommendation from the people she was working with, like get actual letters, not just a promise they will write one in the future.

I would contact the hiring partner and any one else you developed a relationship with saying that something ANYTHING about how they had been impressed with you wish they could have worked with you, etc. Just make sure it reflects YOU specifically. It might not seem like much but it is nice to have something specific with your name on it,from a firm partner, rather than a generic letter they might give to all SAs.

This might seem like a waste of time - but it will also serve the purpose of reminding the partner about you, reminding them that they hired you and, in effect, it may help you in the future. You don't want to try to track them down in September to ask for something that shows you were going to be an SA.

I would also ask them about keeping in touch and helping you find something else going forward.

I guess I am saying, you never know, but a letter is always better than nothing. Even if they can't discuss your work, they were willing to hire you.

Whether a hiring partner is willing to take the time to do this considering what's going on at the firm is doubtful. Having said that, this letter would be absolutely meaningless. "While I can't recommend this person's work, I was willing to hire them. So you should too?" That's not better than nothing. That is nothing.

The better idea would be to reach out to the hiring partner and see if he/she has contacts at other firms to get you an interview if you're comfortable enough to reach out and ask for a ridiculous LOR.

The plan here folks is foot in the door at as many places as possible. I bet most if not all Dewey SAs get another comparable SA if not better. Someone I know at NYU just went from Dewey to Weil last week. Get moving people.
Last edited by WolfmansBrother on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:56 pm

WolfmansBrother wrote:
sunynp wrote:I actually have some productive advice about this. When my aunt was going on to be out of the work force raising her kid for a couple of years, a friend told her to get letters of recommendation from the people she was working with, like get actual letters, not just a promise they will write one in the future.

I would contact the hiring partner and any one else you developed a relationship with saying that something ANYTHING about how they had been impressed with you wish they could have worked with you, etc. Just make sure it reflects YOU specifically. It might not seem like much but it is nice to have something specific with your name on it,from a firm partner, rather than a generic letter they might give to all SAs.

I would also ask them about keeping in touch and helping you find something else going forward.

Whether a hiring partner is willing to take the time to do this considering what's going on at the firm is doubtful. Having said that, this letter would be absolutely meaningless. "While I can't recommend this person's work, I was willing to hire them. So you should to?" That's not better than nothing. That is nothing.

The better idea would be to reach out to the hiring partner and see if he/she has contacts at other firms to get you an interview if you're comfortable enough to reach out and ask for a ridiculous LOR.

The plan here folks is foot in the door at as many places as possible. I bet most if not all Dewey SAs get another comparable SA if not better. Someone I know at NYU just went from Dewey to Weil last week. Get moving people.

I'm not going to argue over the idea. I was thinking that part of asking for the letter is asking for connections and reminding them you are alive. I think people will never be in a better position to get something from Dewey than they are right now.

The Pen Is Mightier

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:01 pm

wiseowl wrote:the firm is going bankrupt and people are probably going to jail. i'm not as confident as some of you that associates and partners are really in any position to put pen to paper to talk about how great a 3L they spent 10 weeks with or better yet a 2L they spent 20 minutes with is.

Doing this = hustling. Do this.

Seriously, there are some good ideas on this thread. Don't wast energy wringing your hands about propriety, just explore all avenues. You cannot possibly predict which ones will yield results and you are in no way constrained to use any single method.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:11 pm

So the DA is investigating Dewey, but hasn't determined if there was a crime committed. Maybe I spoke too soon about no one going to jail.

Dewey & Leboeuf LLP, the New York law firm fighting to stay alive after more than 70 partners left,
is the subject of a criminal probe by state prosecutors into whether managers misled partners about payments due them, a person familiar with the matter said.

The investigation by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. is in a preliminary stage
and has yet to determine whether a crime has been committed, said the person, who declined to be identified because the matter isn’t public.

Erin Duggan, a spokeswoman for Vance, declined to comment. Angelo Kakolyris, a spokesman for Dewey,
didn’t return a call seeking comment on the probe. Yesterday, he declined to comment on the deadline.

The law firm said today in a copy of an internal memorandum obtained by Bloomberg News that it is aware of an investigation by Vance’s office,
has begun an internal probe and plans to cooperate with the district attorney.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-2 ... probe.html

And the NY Times as well:
The Manhattan district attorney’s office is investigating allegations of wrongdoing by Steven H. Davis,
the former chairman of the troubled law firm Dewey & LeBoeuf, the firm said on Friday.

Dewey acknowledged the investigation in an internal memorandum sent to its partners.
The firm said that it has asked two of the firm’s partners to conduct its own internal investigation into the allegations.
A group of Dewey partners presented evidence to the district attorney about supposed financial improprieties by Mr. Davis,
leading the office to open an investigation. The inquiry is said to be in its early stages and Dewey is fully cooperating with the criminal probe, the firm said.

Mr. Davis did not return telephone calls and e-mails seeking comment.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/04/27/ ... -chairman/

And the WSJ reports which two partners (bold added):
According to the memorandum, the investigation is focusing largely on the firm’s former chairman, Steven H. Davis,
who led the firm from 2003 until several weeks ago, when his responsibilities were diminished in a management shakeup.
A call to Mr. Davis at his office was not immediately returned.

The firm has asked two of its lawyers, Harvey Kurzweil and Seth Faber, to conduct an internal investigation
into the situation, the memorandum said.

“In addition, we have been in contact with the District Attorney’s Office and have told the District Attorney’s
Office that the Firm intends to cooperate with that Office’s investigation,” according to the memorandum.

A spokeswoman for the Manhattan district attorney’s office, Erin Duggan, declined to comment.

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2012/04/27/man ... -chairman/

And Reuters says the investigation is into "financial irregularaties"
The Manhattan District Attorney's office is investigating whether Dewey leadership made misleading statements
about payments due to partners, according to one person who did not want to be identified because the probe is not public.

Another person, who also did not want to be identified, said lawyers from the firm had asked Manhattan District Attorney
Cyrus Vance to examine "financial irregularities" at the firm.

Both sources said the investigation is in preliminary stages.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/ ... 6D20120427

----

I am wondering why the partners would go to the DA in the middle of a negotiation with their lenders. Do they need to bring a complaint before the bankruptcy is filed? I would think criminal investigations can be made at any time. Could they be worried about records being lost or destroyed? Having a criminal investigation should end any hope the lenders would work with you. Maybe they realized they couldn't get agreement from the lenders, so they decided to go report criminal activity before the firm shuts down?
It just seems like terrible timing for (some of )the partners to bring in the DA now.
Last edited by sunynp on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Got the email 4 minutes before my exam started

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got the email 4 minutes before my exam started

yikes :( i'm sorry to hear that

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:21 pm

Talk to your dean now and try to get that one tossed and retake a different one.

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Talk to your dean now and try to get that one tossed and retake a different one.

lolwut

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:21 pm

Damn. Got mine during a review session and didn't pay attention.

On the bright side, if you pull out decent grades this semester, you can talk about the situation during OCI next year. It was really difficult to focus on exams, but I had to put all the Dewey stuff aside and get down to business. Etc. etc. Sets you up to show that you can work well under the pressure/daily stress at a law firm.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:43 pm

sunynp wrote:So the DA is investigating Dewey, but hasn't determined if there was a crime committed. Maybe I spoke too soon about no one going to jail.

Dewey & Leboeuf LLP, the New York law firm fighting to stay alive after more than 70 partners left,
is the subject of a criminal probe by state prosecutors into whether managers misled partners about payments due them, a person familiar with the matter said.

The investigation by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. is in a preliminary stage
and has yet to determine whether a crime has been committed, said the person, who declined to be identified because the matter isn’t public.

Erin Duggan, a spokeswoman for Vance, declined to comment. Angelo Kakolyris, a spokesman for Dewey,
didn’t return a call seeking comment on the probe. Yesterday, he declined to comment on the deadline.

The law firm said today in a copy of an internal memorandum obtained by Bloomberg News that it is aware of an investigation by Vance’s office,
has begun an internal probe and plans to cooperate with the district attorney.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-2 ... probe.html

And the NY Times as well:
The Manhattan district attorney’s office is investigating allegations of wrongdoing by Steven H. Davis,
the former chairman of the troubled law firm Dewey & LeBoeuf, the firm said on Friday.

Dewey acknowledged the investigation in an internal memorandum sent to its partners.
The firm said that it has asked two of the firm’s partners to conduct its own internal investigation into the allegations.
A group of Dewey partners presented evidence to the district attorney about supposed financial improprieties by Mr. Davis,
leading the office to open an investigation. The inquiry is said to be in its early stages and Dewey is fully cooperating with the criminal probe, the firm said.

Mr. Davis did not return telephone calls and e-mails seeking comment.

And the WSJ reports which two partners (bold added):
According to the memorandum, the investigation is focusing largely on the firm’s former chairman, Steven H. Davis,
who led the firm from 2003 until several weeks ago, when his responsibilities were diminished in a management shakeup.
A call to Mr. Davis at his office was not immediately returned.

The firm has asked two of its lawyers, Harvey Kurzweil and Seth Faber, to conduct an internal investigation
into the situation, the memorandum said.

“In addition, we have been in contact with the District Attorney’s Office and have told the District Attorney’s
Office that the Firm intends to cooperate with that Office’s investigation,” according to the memorandum.

A spokeswoman for the Manhattan district attorney’s office, Erin Duggan, declined to comment.

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2012/04/27/man ... -chairman/

And Reuters says the investigation is into "financial irregularaties"
The Manhattan District Attorney's office is investigating whether Dewey leadership made misleading statements
about payments due to partners, according to one person who did not want to be identified because the probe is not public.

Another person, who also did not want to be identified, said lawyers from the firm had asked Manhattan District Attorney
Cyrus Vance to examine "financial irregularities" at the firm.

Both sources said the investigation is in preliminary stages.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/ ... 6D20120427

----

I am wondering why the partners would go to the DA in the middle of a negotiation with their lenders. Do they need to bring a complaint before the bankruptcy is filed? I would think criminal investigations can be made at any time. Could they be worried about records being lost or destroyed? Having a criminal investigation should end any hope the lenders would work with you. Maybe they realized they couldn't get agreement from the lenders, so they decided to go report criminal activity before the firm shuts down?
It just seems like terrible timing for (some of )the partners to bring in the DA now.

There is nothing criminal about it. They did nothing while it was going on because they thought it would enrich them too. Only now do they complain. About what? Money awarded to themselves.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:44 pm

DrGuano wrote:Sorry bro. Looks like you'll summer associating with the unemployment office.

Now that's not very nice, xxxxxxxxxxx, xL at xxxxxxxxxxx.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Younger Abstention wrote:
MrAnon wrote:This is essentially a no offer.

Ask the Howrey SAs.

or the Latham SAs.

It's certainly not looked at, as far as future hiring goes, the same way.

Hell no. It is nothing at all like a no offer. MrAnon, get a clue. And I will go ask the Howery people. The one I know of from my school ended up at like Cleary or Weil or something.

Dewey SAs and 3Ls, I'll echo all the others ITT in saying that you guys will likely be okay. It would have been nice for you SAs to get a little experience down for resume purposes, but I think it is better this happened now than down the road through no offers and deferrals. You are all likely very well-credentialed individuals and you will find something respectable for this summer, and I am confident most of you will land on your feet at 3L OCI or (for your 3LS) soon. I definitely wouldn't call this a death knell for your career. Good luck to everybody.

And those pictures above made me lol. :lol: I think a sense of humor about it is a healthy thing.

Okay fine. They are in the same position as anyone else at 3L OCI, who has good grades but did nothing 2L summer.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:47 pm

There is nothing criminal about it. They did nothing while it was going on because they thought it would enrich them too. Only now do they complain. About what? Money awarded to themselves.

No, I mean why didn't the complaining partners wait until after the deal was done with the bankers? There is no way a company brings in the DA for a criminal probe in the middle of attempting to convince people to lend them money.

I can only assume that the lenders walked away from Dewey so then the partners went to the DA. But I'm still not sure why they needed to start this now - I do wonder about documents being taken, lost, etc - which a DA's probe would halt.

You haven't been following this - the claim is that Davis gave out 100 guaranteed contracts to his friends in October and cashed out his share in violation of the firm agreements. Only some of the partners were getting paid, the rest weren't and I guess some of the "have nots" complained to the DA about fraud.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:55 pm

sunynp wrote:

No, I mean why didn't the complaining partners wait until after the deal was done with the bankers? There is no way a company brings in the DA for a criminal probe in the middle of attempting to convince people to lend them money.

I can only assume that the lenders walked away from Dewey so then the partners went to the DA. But I'm still not sure why they needed to start this now - I do wonder about documents being taken, lost, etc - which a DA's probe would halt.

You haven't been following this - the claim is that Davis gave out 100 guaranteed contracts to his friends in October and cashed out his share in violation of the firm agreements. Only some of the partners were getting paid, the rest weren't and I guess some of the "have nots" complained to the DA about fraud.

Can you really accuse other people of "not following" this when you admitted three posts ago you had no idea the DA was involved?

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:58 pm

wiseowl wrote:
sunynp wrote:

Can you really accuse other people of "not following" this when you admitted three posts ago you had no idea the DA was involved?

What I said was "it wasn't clear that anyone is going to jail." The DA hasn't even determined if there is anything criminal to pursue. I posted the original story from law360 last night. You might have missed that.

I'm still wondering why this complaint to the DA started yesterday - what triggered them to go to the DA at this point.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:22 pm

In case anyone thought that a merger might still happen - what with the debt and the criminal investigations and all -but i haven't seen the actual statement from Greenberg anywhere.

Dewey has been exploring a prepackaged bankruptcy filing in which the firm would reach an agreement with its lenders over a restructuring while striking a merger with another firm. Such a prearranged filing could avoid a conventional bankruptcy filing and likely dissolution.

Greenberg Traurig, one of the nation’s largest law firms, with more than 1,700 lawyers, has contemplated a possible merger with Dewey, and has also looked to “cherry pick” certain groups of Dewey lawyers. On Friday, however, Greenberg issued a statement suggesting that a merger deal was unlikely.

Return to “Legal Employment”