How to handle Dewey (or similar firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IAFG

Re: How to handle Dewey (or similar firms)

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:58 pm

f7 wrote:I don't understand the weird sense of loyalty these former SAs have to a firm that utterly fucked them over.

How about, to a firm that almost certainly soon won't be an entity to show loyalty towards?

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:59 pm

WTF is wrong with you all? I'm terribly sorry to hear what just happened, but post the damn e-mail -- anonymously. You owe them nothing.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:00 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dewey has officially cancelled the summer program. -Former Dewey SA

Condolences guys / gals.

I'd recommend immediately (like, before COB) emailing the recruiting director of literally every major law firm in NYC with a cover letter quickly describing your situation and a current resume. You can get the emails off of the NALP directory and have it done inside an hour I bet.

Summer classes can be under-enrolled due to either low yield or increased demand since the fall; all it takes is one bite and there's nothing to lose at this point. Firms won't be oblivious to the good PR they'll get in the legal community - and amongst career services offices / next year's potential recruits - if they're at all in a position to lend a hand right now.

Also get in touch with your career services office (either for the first time or with the concrete update). This is a unique and unfortunate situation, they might be able to call in favors on an individual level they couldn't have when you all were just another 2L applicant in the fall.

I highly doubt there's anything I can do to help as a random 3L on the internet, but if there is something don't hesitate to drop me a PM.

This. For 3Ls, I know there were biglaw firms in NYC still looking for entry-level associates a week or so ago. Really work the OCS offices- there are a number of midlevel firms that are also hiring. There have also been sporadic clerkship postings on OSCAR. Reach out to friends and offer to share Symplicity logins.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:01 pm

It's not loyalty. It's like when something bad happens and paparazzi circles around wanting a picture. Sort of a, leave me the hell alone, I just got punched in the gut (only billion times worse) feeling. Just let it be for now.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:01 pm

f7 wrote:I don't understand the weird sense of loyalty these former SAs have to a firm that utterly fucked them over.

Their discretion could be looked at favorably by potential future firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's not loyalty. It's like when something bad happens and paparazzi circles around wanting a picture. Sort of a, leave me the hell alone, I just got punched in the gut (only billion times worse) feeling. Just let it be for now.

I understand this. I'd just want everyone else to hate them as much as me right now. Not to mention, I'd want them to see my pain before they no longer exist to do so. I'd also want to get word out to other firms in case someone has an opening they are willing to advertise or so they know I'm not full of shit when they get my cover letter in like 30 minutes.

ATL may also be able to bring pressure on them to talk to the 3Ls which apparently they haven't done.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:02 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:

Their discretion could be looked at favorably by potential future firms?

Because potential future firms can break through TLS' anon function?

The letter will be on ATL by COB regardless.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Okay, so I would like it if they showed the letter too (I'm mildly curious), but the rabid "ZOMG SHOW ME THE LETTER NAO!" thing is a little ridiculous.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Rejected-by-Dewey Anon from earlier ITT: dear god, I feel awful for you guys. I would have accepted at Dewey had they actually given me an offer, so my heart definitely goes out to y'all. Just seriously start calling recruiting at every firm in the country to see if there are places that are under-enrolled and go to OCS immediately. Forget exams at this point, and if you're really in a bind, go to your Student Services Office and see if you can get some of your exams rescheduled so you have time to secure another firm in the next week or so.

I think you guys are going to land on your feet okay as awful as this may be right now. One of my really good friends got no-offered from her firm after 2L summer and then ended up with a much better firm after 3L year, so maybe some of y'all will end up at even better positions then you had at Dewey. Sometimes things happen for a reason. Yes, I know it probably feels terrible now but just know it's probably better in the long run since you won't be going to a firm on the verge of collapse.

jc1988

Postby jc1988 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:10 pm

randomdandom wrote:Another Dewey formerly-incoming summer here. I can confirm cancellation of the program. I will also not share the email, but am willing to talk to a moderator.

guys, you are still the same bright law students. That hasn't changed. I am certain that all of you will do really well in the future. Best wishes!

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:10 pm

romothesavior wrote:Okay, so I would like it if they showed the letter too (I'm mildly curious), but the rabid "ZOMG SHOW ME THE LETTER NAO!" thing is a little ridiculous.

I actually could care less about the contents of the letter. But the trend of law students constantly protecting their firms whether it's a deferral, no offer, cancellation, etc. is ridiculous, and contributes to the massive inequality of bargaining power between firms and students. The reason anonymous posts are allowed on this board is so you can speak honestly about employers.

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:11 pm

i feel like the 3Ls are way more fucked

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:13 pm

who the fuck cares if they post the damn e-mail. i mean shit are you people that stupid and can't understand what it could possibly say? why the fuck does it have anything to do with loyalty. they might just not want to post because it doesn't matter and you guys bitching and whining about it probably doesn't make them want to post it anymore.

i mean really, is that really the fucking point here?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:15 pm

I know it must absolutely suck for those who got shat on, but remember that this is NOT the same as a no offer. Other firms will not see you as stigmatized, and will entirely understand (and likely sympathize) with your situation. You will all still get your fair share of looks and consideration from other very solid firms. So while it might seem pretty terrible right now, I am sure that things will turn out okay.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:16 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:who the fuck cares if they post the damn e-mail. i mean shit are you people that stupid and can't understand what it could possibly say? why the fuck does it have anything to do with loyalty. they might just not want to post because it doesn't matter and you guys bitching and whining about it probably doesn't make them want to post it anymore.

You're making it seem as if this is way too personal, a break up letter or something. It's a business entity addressing an entire associate class. I'll stop at this. I see both sides.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:17 pm

angrybird wrote:i feel like the 3Ls are way more fucked

Not necessarily. At my school, career services is calling everyone they can and have gotten someone I know at least one interview at a V100 in NY. Some firms can actually use additional entry level associates. Last year, someone I know headed to Howrey ended up finding a job at a comparable V100 firm in DC by June. 3Ls need to be contacting everyone they know, seeing what career services can do (my schools' has been extremely helpful--not sure if they're an anomaly), checking OSCAR for new clerkship postings, etc.

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Not necessarily. At my school, career services is calling everyone they can and have gotten someone I know at least one interview at a V100 in NY. Some firms can actually use additional entry level associates. Last year, someone I know headed to Howrey ended up finding a job at a comparable V100 firm in DC by June. 3Ls need to be contacting everyone they know, seeing what career services can do (my schools' has been extremely helpful--not sure if they're an anomaly), checking OSCAR for new clerkship postings, etc.

i suppose it is better to know now (before you graduate) than to get deferred, deferred again, and laid off.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:21 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:who the fuck cares if they post the damn e-mail. i mean shit are you people that stupid and can't understand what it could possibly say? why the fuck does it have anything to do with loyalty. they might just not want to post because it doesn't matter and you guys bitching and whining about it probably doesn't make them want to post it anymore.

Exactly. No point. It's probably one line anyway.

What a shit firm. Wish they would just put the 3Ls out of their misery.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

3Ls have been doing this for like a month now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:

You're making it seem as if this is way too personal, a break up letter or something. It's a business entity addressing an entire associate class. I'll stop at this. I see both sides.

I don't want the recruiting department or other innocent actors getting caught in the middle of this mess. The articulation of the communication is basically irrelevant.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:27 pm

This is essentially a no offer.

Ask the Howrey SAs.

or the Latham SAs.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:45 pm

MrAnon wrote:This is essentially a no offer.

Ask the Howrey SAs.

or the Latham SAs.

It's certainly not looked at, as far as future hiring goes, the same way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:57 pm

Former Dewey SA checking in.

This is me last fall:

This is me now:

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Well, we knew this was coming. I am very sorry that it happened though. I'm assuming the firm is done too. I feel this is a sad day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:29 pm

Terrible news, I am really sorry for everyone involved with this. But I am confident you will do fine. As has been said multiple times, there is no stigma attached to your situation.

For everyone else, there may be a lesson here about overcoming the huge deflation in motivation that usually follows an offer, and working to maintain grades after 1L/2L. (I haven't done shit this year). You just never know.

ETA: I would mass email and put FORMER DEWEY & LEBOEUF SA right in the subject line.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”