How to handle Dewey (or similar firms) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Old Gregg

Platinum

Re: How to handle Dewey (or similar firms)

Post by Old Gregg » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:37 am

You guys are really overthinking this email thing, asperger's style.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:45 pm

Did the conference call today allay other SA's fears?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did the conference call today allay other SA's fears?
what was said? also, bonuses coming late... can't be good news.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:33 pm

Indifferent wrote:
drdolittle wrote:
rad lulz wrote:OP missed a golden opportunity to make a Dewey pun in the thread title.
What to Dewey?
Dewey stay or go?
What Dewey do now?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:53 pm

This entire saga has been grossly exaggerated by the media. Dewey's problems are serious, but far from insurmountable. The media, blogs, and even some posters on here seem more committed to fulfilling a prophecy than uncovering the facts.

I think the following article does a nice job of summarizing what is going on. D

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2012/03/ ... er-exodus/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This entire saga has been grossly exaggerated by the media. Dewey's problems are serious, but far from insurmountable. The media, blogs, and even some posters on here seem more committed to fulfilling a prophecy than uncovering the facts.

I think the following article does a nice job of summarizing what is going on. D

Not sure why this is anon. Howery gonna call you out if you are wrong?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This entire saga has been grossly exaggerated by the media. Dewey's problems are serious, but far from insurmountable. The media, blogs, and even some posters on here seem more committed to fulfilling a prophecy than uncovering the facts.

how dewey know if we should believe you?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Not sure why this is anon. Howery gonna call you out if you are wrong?
Well Thacher problem right there, there's just no way to Proffitt off of calling him out even if he is wrong so what Wood you have him do?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:35 pm

stratocophic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Not sure why this is anon. Howery gonna call you out if you are wrong?
Well Thacher problem right there, there's just no way to Proffitt off of calling him out even if he is wrong so what Wood you have him do?
I mean, I understand what you're saying, but how the Heller we supposed to have a conversation if the Rider won't idenitfy himself? I mean, Coudert he just not post anon?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:16 pm

Indifferent wrote:
drdolittle wrote:
rad lulz wrote:OP missed a golden opportunity to make a Dewey pun in the thread title.
What to Dewey?
Dewey stay or Dewey go?
FTFY

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:17 pm

The article somewhat reflects what was said in the conference call. I don't understand why the corporate debt issue has been such a big deal in the news. It seems like the reporters lack sophistication in corporate finance. Dewey's bottom line seems ok. However, I don't trust management's statements that the partners are committed to staying on board. I mean, I don't even want to stay on board, conference call and all.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Not sure why this is anon. Howery gonna call you out if you are wrong?
I mean, I understand what you're saying, but how the Heller we supposed to have a conversation if the Rider won't idenitfy himself? I mean, Coudert he just not post anon?
Gilchrist, might as well have the mods yell "leeroy Jenkins" and just out every anon post on TLS if some n00b posting things that might or might not be true is all it takes to Shea that someone's posts Arter not deserving of anonymity, 75% of anon posts aren't worth a Pennie in the first place. Just seems like you're setting up the system to Bogle everyone's mind when you use that kind of Testa worth

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Exactly right. Dewey will be fine. The most disconcerting part of this "saga" has been the media's response to it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Is anonymous user a pseudonym for Dewey PR? Really, it's impossible to follow who is who when people post this crap. And to counter the last "anonymous," you say with a lot of confidence Dewey will be fine and just talk about how the media is overplaying it, but you overlook the idea that Dewey could be completely fine financially but be brought down by the vicious cycle of rumors.

Good firms have failed because of bad rumors.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:36 am

Sounds like another Finley Kumble story.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:03 pm

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 05216.html

Doesn't look good. Friend of mine who is an associate sent me this. Going to be interesting to see if Dewey is able to fight off the rumors or whether it succumbs. Lot of headhunter calls are being answered from what I hear.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 05216.html

Doesn't look good. Friend of mine who is an associate sent me this. Going to be interesting to see if Dewey is able to fight off the rumors or whether it succumbs. Lot of headhunter calls are being answered from what I hear.
what else does 'your friend' say?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:21 pm

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/03/23/ ... y-leboeuf/

Six partners at Dewey & LeBoeuf resigned on Friday, the latest is a series of defections at the embattled New York Law Firm.

The lawyers, who are leaving to join Sutherland Asbill & Brennan, focus on insurance regulation and advise on corporate transactions involving insurance companies.

With the latest departures, Dewey has lost 37 of its 300 partners since January. Its once-vaunted insurance practice has been decimated, as 12 other partners in the group have left the firm last week.

The six lawyers leaving for Sutherland are James R. Dwyer, the managing partner of Dewey’s Chicago office; John S. Pruitt and Cynthia R. Shoss, co-chairs of the insurance regulatory department; P. Bruce Wright and Linda A. Sciutow, two tax partners; and Jeffrey H. Mace, an insurance partner.
Last edited by sunynp on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:26 pm

sunynp wrote:http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/03/23/ ... y-leboeuf/

Six partners at Dewey & LeBoeuf resigned on Friday, the latest is a series of defections at the embattled New York law firm.

The lawyers, who are leaving to join Sutherland Asbill & Brennan, focus on insurance regulation and advise on corporate transactions involving insurance companies.

With the latest departures, Dewey has lost 37 of its 300 partners since January. Its once-vaunted insurance practice has been decimated, as 12 other partners in the group have left the firm last week.
Having absolutely no knowledge how this works at Dewey or other firms, I was wondering if anyone had an idea where the relationship partners are at Dewey? Would they have been in the insurance group or was that group known for its work (like appellate litigation is) and not its client relationships?

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:31 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:

Six partners at Dewey & LeBoeuf resigned on Friday, the latest is a series of defections at the embattled New York law firm.

Having absolutely no knowledge how this works at Dewey or other firms, I was wondering if anyone had an idea where the relationship partners are at Dewey? Would they have been in the insurance group or was that group known for its work (like appellate litigation is) and not its client relationships?
I'm pretty sure that the departing partners have client relationships.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:51 pm

The six lawyers leaving for Sutherland are James R. Dwyer, the managing partner of Dewey’s Chicago office; John S. Pruitt and Cynthia R. Shoss, co-chairs of the insurance regulatory department; P. Bruce Wright and Linda A. Sciutow, two tax partners; and Jeffrey H. Mace, an insurance partner.
Oh no guys, the media is just blowing this outta proportion. Dewey is fine, nothing to see here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did the conference call today allay other SA's fears?

Makes me even more curious as to what was said in that conference call.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:41 pm

romothesavior wrote: Oh no guys, the media is just blowing this outta proportion. Dewey is fine, nothing to see here.
lol. cue 5,500 retarded anonymous poasts

2LLLL

Bronze

Post by 2LLLL » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:10 am

Who knows- I doubt anyone on this forum can speak from personal knowledge about any of those partners' client relationships. But- I don't imagine that you get to be the managing partner of a major firm's Chicago office without having some sway. And, as a matter of logic, the partners with the easiest exit paths are going to be those with portable business.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:59 am

Incoming SA here. I know they were expecting more partner departures, but another 6 in one shot? And the head of the Chicago office? I have this nightmare scenario playing over and over in my head where the summer gets cancelled only a few weeks before it starts and I spend the summer on my couch twiddling my thumbs...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”