How to handle Dewey (or similar firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
drdolittle

Re: How to handle Dewey (or similar firms)

Postby drdolittle » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:02 pm

rad lulz wrote:OP missed a golden opportunity to make a Dewey pun in the thread title.

What to Dewey?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly, if I were you I would email him asking if you can call him to talk about Dewey (by email is a bad idea and he will probably tell you to call him anyway because no one wants to put stuff in writing). In fact, I wish I were you so that I could take advantage of this. Don't freak out and express worry on the phone. Don't ask for an SA at Wilkie. Just ask what his thoughts are on your position at Dewey and whether he thinks you should be looking for another job and if he has any ideas at this point in the game. This is a perfect networking opportunity. Maybe he will offer to help set you up to be considered by Wilkie during 3L OCI. Better now than later.

This is what I'd do too, given all the chatter. While concerns about it somehow getting back to Dewey and backfiring are credited, reaching out to such a solid contact this way is probably the prudent thing to do under the circumstances.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly, if I were you I would email him asking if you can call him to talk about Dewey (by email is a bad idea and he will probably tell you to call him anyway because no one wants to put stuff in writing). In fact, I wish I were you so that I could take advantage of this. Don't freak out and express worry on the phone. Don't ask for an SA at Wilkie. Just ask what his thoughts are on your position at Dewey and whether he thinks you should be looking for another job and if he has any ideas at this point in the game. This is a perfect networking opportunity. Maybe he will offer to help set you up to be considered by Wilkie during 3L OCI. Better now than later.

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote: If you have a Dewey SA and are scared about a no-offer, it's worth the time to figure out the likelihood of dissolution and build that into your personal risk assessment.

I'm a Class of 2013 Dewy SA and yes I'm scared about a no-offer after the summer and equally scared about the possibility of dissolution before the summer starts or outright cancellation. The firm has reassured us that the summer is on but it all just seems out of control and May feels a long way away.In fact, a no offer after the SA is really the best option of the three, because at least I get to make some money over the summer and more importantly get some experience to talk about at 3L OCI (which is now mandatory for Dewey SAs no matter what happens over the summer). I'm also scared that things stabilize for a year or two but then the firm goes under when I'm a first or second year associate with little lateral ability.

ITT there have been some helpful posters about maintaining a proper and professional attitude over the summer. Beyond that, and trying to kill it this spring for grades during 3L OCI, what else is there for us to do?

There is one partner among the recently departed group of 12 to Wilkie who was instrumental in me getting an SA - interviewed me, maintained contact throughout the call back process, was on the hiring committee, and I had requested him as a mentor for the summer. Now he's gone, any chance I send him a request for advice and hope that he offers me an SA at Wilkie??? Seems like a long shot, but if the summer IS actually cancelled, there doesn't seem like much else to do.

IMHO this is the worst possible advice. If you call and talk about Dewey his next call is to some friend who is still at Dewey. The partners who left had close relationships for years with people who are still at the firm. Those relationships, at least professionally, will continue. This isn't a case of a personal breakup where your ex just doesn't call you anymore. These partners will stay in touch with people they worked with at Dewey.

You don't want to end your chance of getting good recommendations from Dewey before you even walk in the door. This guy can't help you get a job now, you need more evidence of doing good work. If you leave Dewey without recommendations, he won't be able to convince Wilkie or anyone else to hire you.

You want to show you can handle pressure, not call up in a panic about your future because this guy left your firm. People need associates who can take the pressure of crazy intense deadlines and clients, don't act like a wimp now.

And May isn't that far away. We are only looking at a few weeks here.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:18 pm

rad lulz wrote:OP missed a golden opportunity to make a Dewey pun in the thread title.

Have been very disappointed with this thread for this same reason. I mean, Howrey gonna have a thread about an imploding law firm and not include solid puns?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Incoming Dewey SA here. What would our chances be at 3L OCI if we get no-offered, assuming a large swath gets no offered? If we get no offered, is the biglaw door essentially shut?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:53 pm

sunynp wrote:IMHO this is the worst possible advice. If you call and talk about Dewey his next call is to some friend who is still at Dewey. The partners who left had close relationships for years with people who are still at the firm. Those relationships, at least professionally, will continue. This isn't a case of a personal breakup where your ex just doesn't call you anymore.

Exactly, and this is why such contact would be OK in my opinion. This is a professional setting, reaching out to the departed partner for advice on an obviously uncertain situation re: a potentially career altering issue wouldn't be seen as inappropriate. This partner evidently personally recruited the SA heavily and then left, so the conversation wouldn't ostensibly be so much about Dewey directly, but about connecting with partner at his new position and fishing for reasons why he decided to leave. The partner could take the conversation wherever he chooses.

I also don't think the departed partner would get on the phone to discuss such contact with Dewey in the first place. Why would he? I'd be pure gossiping and the partner presumably left for good reasons that at the very least merit discussion, especially from an incoming SA's perspective. And the SA has a totally legit reason for seeking advice given the personal connection that took place during the recruiting process. But even if Dewey were to find out somehow, how could they reasonably object to an incoming SA wanting to remain in touch with the the partner who was so instrumental in SA ending up at Dewey? Or even to SA getting info re: why the partner unexpectedly picked up and left Dewey soon after he convinced SA to commit there?
Last edited by drdolittle on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:53 pm

drdolittle wrote:

What to Dewey?

Dewey stay or go?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:57 pm

sunynp wrote:

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote: If you have a Dewey SA and are scared about a no-offer, it's worth the time to figure out the likelihood of dissolution and build that into your personal risk assessment.

I'm a Class of 2013 Dewy SA and yes I'm scared about a no-offer after the summer and equally scared about the possibility of dissolution before the summer starts or outright cancellation. The firm has reassured us that the summer is on but it all just seems out of control and May feels a long way away.In fact, a no offer after the SA is really the best option of the three, because at least I get to make some money over the summer and more importantly get some experience to talk about at 3L OCI (which is now mandatory for Dewey SAs no matter what happens over the summer). I'm also scared that things stabilize for a year or two but then the firm goes under when I'm a first or second year associate with little lateral ability.

ITT there have been some helpful posters about maintaining a proper and professional attitude over the summer. Beyond that, and trying to kill it this spring for grades during 3L OCI, what else is there for us to do?

There is one partner among the recently departed group of 12 to Wilkie who was instrumental in me getting an SA - interviewed me, maintained contact throughout the call back process, was on the hiring committee, and I had requested him as a mentor for the summer. Now he's gone, any chance I send him a request for advice and hope that he offers me an SA at Wilkie??? Seems like a long shot, but if the summer IS actually cancelled, there doesn't seem like much else to do.

IMHO this is the worst possible advice. If you call and talk about Dewey his next call is to some friend who is still at Dewey. The partners who left had close relationships for years with people who are still at the firm. Those relationships, at least professionally, will continue. This isn't a case of a personal breakup where your ex just doesn't call you anymore. These partners will stay in touch with people they worked with at Dewey.

You don't want to end your chance of getting good recommendations from Dewey before you even walk in the door. This guy can't help you get a job now, you need more evidence of doing good work. If you leave Dewey without recommendations, he won't be able to convince Wilkie or anyone else to hire you.

You want to show you can handle pressure, not call up in a panic about your future because this guy left your firm. People need associates who can take the pressure of crazy intense deadlines and clients, don't act like a wimp now.

And May isn't that far away. We are only looking at a few weeks here.

You are assuming that Dewey will be there for the 2013 SAs in May. No one knows if the summer program will actually continue. It's perfectly appropriate for a 2013 SA who was wooed by a partner to touch base with the partner (who he was in touch with already anyway) and get his thoughts on the circumstances. I mean, what's going on at Dewey is all over the internet. It's not like s/he will be surprised. If the partner is actually one of the insurance group partners who left, then that is one *powerful* partner. At the very least, stay in touch with that partner and don't let him/her forget about you. Contact that partner now rather than wait until (god forbid) Dewey goes under when all the other SAs AND unemployed attorneys are looking for jobs. I shudder at the thought. But seriously, use this opportunity.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Yeah, that is why I think maybe it is appropriate to reach out now. It's still 2 months till the program and no one knows if it will run, especially in its entirety.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Have been very disappointed with this thread for this same reason. I mean, Howrey gonna have a thread about an imploding law firm and not include solid puns?

What Coudert one do in a situation such as this? The Dewey SAs might be in for one Hellerve' a time.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:04 pm

drdolittle wrote:
sunynp wrote:IMHO this is the worst possible advice. If you call and talk about Dewey his next call is to some friend who is still at Dewey. The partners who left had close relationships for years with people who are still at the firm. Those relationships, at least professionally, will continue. This isn't a case of a personal breakup where your ex just doesn't call you anymore.

Exactly, and this is why such contact would be OK in my opinion. This is a professional setting, reaching out to the departed partner for advice on an obviously uncertain situation re: a potentially career altering issue wouldn't be seen as inappropriate. This partner evidently personally recruited the SA heavily and then left, so the conversation wouldn't ostensibly be so much about Dewey directly, but about connecting with partner at his new position and fishing for reasons why he decided to leave. The partner could take the conversation wherever he chooses.

I also don't think the departed partner would get on the phone to discuss such contact with Dewey in the first place. Why would he? I'd be pure gossiping and the partner presumably left for good reasons that at the very least merit discussion, especially from an incoming SA's perspective. And the SA has a totally legit reason for seeking advice given the personal connection that took place during the recruiting process. But even if Dewey were to find out somehow, how could they reasonably object to an incoming SA wanting to remain in touch with the the partner who was so instrumental in SA ending up at Dewey? Or even to SA getting info re: why the partner unexpectedly picked up and left Dewey soon after he convinced SA to commit there?

Well we just disagree. I have no idea what advice you think this guy would give OP? What will he say now that OP wouldn't be better off approaching him with solid recommendations from people OP worked with over the summer? Do you think this guy really cares about OP, he just left a firm full of partners and people who depended on him. What does this partner have to gain by discussing the career goals of an SA? Don't assume that there is any equality in this relationship. He helped the OP get a job because he thought OP had potential, not because he is solidly invested in OPs career. OP has to tread very carefully here. This guy can (potentially) help OP a lot if OP handles it correctly.

And, yes, I have no doubt that he would let Dewey know he was approached. Don't you think Dewey wants to keep a lid on what is happening at the firm as much as possible. A worried SA is a great source for gossip outside the firm. Do you think he wants more bad press coming out about the firm that owes him money? Does he want to risk being quoted on ATL as a source by an anonymous SA? He will let the firm know that this SA is already looking for exits before the summer starts.

And yes, I am assuming the firm doesn't fold in the next few months. If it does, will OP contacting this guy afterwards be a problem? I already said OP should email to say he had been looking forward to working with him, etc.

And, again, I ask you, what do you think this partner will say exactly? (My guess is that he says something very bland like there are a lot of great people for OP to work with at Dewey and OP will still have a good experience, and, possibly, get back to him at the end of the summer.)

Finally, it seems obvious why the guy left, there is no need to sniff around for reasons. He wasn't happy with his compensation and the firm management. There is no secret here.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:38 pm

sunynp wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

Well we just disagree. I have no idea what advice you think this guy would give OP? What will he say now that OP wouldn't be better off approaching him with solid recommendations from people OP worked with over the summer? Do you think this guy really cares about OP, he just left a firm full of partners and people who depended on him? What does this partner have to gain by discussing the career goals of an SA? Don't assume that there is any equality in this relationship. He helped the OP get a job because he thought OP had potential, not because he is solidly invested in OPs career. OP has to tread very carefully here. This guy can (potentially) help OP a lot if OP handles it correctly.

And, yes, I have no doubt that he would let Dewey know he was approached. Don't you think Dewey wants to keep a lid on what is happening at the firm as much as possible. A worried SA is a great source for gossip outside the firm. Do you think he wants more bad press coming out about the firm that owes him money? Does he want to risk being quoted on ATL as a source by an anonymous SA? He will let the firm know that this SA is already looking for exits before the summer starts.

And yes, I am assuming the firm doesn't fold in the next few months. If it does, will OP contacting this guy afterwards be a problem? I already said OP should email to say he had been looking forward to working with him, etc.

And, again, I ask you, what do you think this partner will say exactly? (My guess is that he says something very bland like there are a lot of great people for OP to work with at Dewey and OP will still have a good experience, and, possibly, get back to him at the end of the summer.)

Finally, it seems obvious why the guy left, there is no need to sniff around for reasons. He wasn't happy with his compensation and the firm management. There is no secret here.

Lots of hypos here I obviously don't have answers to. But re: bold, yes, you're absolutely right, there's a good chance the partner won't say much. My point is I don't think the worst case scenario is nearly as bad as you make it out to be, and the upside of remaining connected w/ departed partner now could be quite large -- including staying squarely on successful partner's radar in case the Dewey summer program dematerializes or they decide to renege on offers. Under these circumstances, and considering the personal recruiting that took place (not necessarily the norm in my experience), connecting sooner than later w/ this particular partner doesn't seem like a bad idea on balance. Especially since I'm sure you'd also concede your hypos are unanswerable at this stage.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:43 pm

The down side for OP is doing anything that jeopardizes his chances to succeed at Dewey. No matter what happens with Dewey, OP has to get some references from there. I think that the partner who left is not going to be impressed by OP calling to discuss OP's future. I think he will report to Dewey, you don't. If you don't understand how contacting the guy who just left and asking for career advice is a problem, then we just disagree.

And, for the third time, I think a general email to the guy is an ok idea.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:49 pm

sunynp wrote:The down side for OP is doing anything that jeopardizes his chances to succeed at Dewey.

I think his chances to succeed have already been jeopardized. If DL stays afloat, I'd be surprised. If DL doesn't no-offer close to their entire SA class, I'd be shocked. It's probably not crazy to assume most of these current 2Ls with SAs will not be working at the firm post-graduation, especially if things continue to deteriorate.

I agree that the partner probably isn't in a position to help right now, and he may not be all that willing to help. But I really doubt he's going to call up his old firm and report this guy, and if the partner really liked the SA then he might empathize with his situation and give him some advice, maybe even keep him on the radar for down the road.

In any case, Dewey really need to keep going in circles on this one?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:55 pm

sunynp wrote:The down side for OP is doing anything that jeopardizes his chances to succeed at Dewey. No matter what happens with Dewey, OP has to get some references from there. I think that the partner who left is not going to be impressed by OP calling to discuss OP's future. I think he will report to Dewey, you don't. If you don't understand how contacting the guy who just left and asking for career advice is a problem, then we just disagree.

And, for the third time, I think a general email to the guy is an ok idea.

This wasn't a bad idea at all even the first time, I don't think anybody questioned it. And I do understand how contacting this partner for career advice could be construed to be a "problem" by some people, like you for example, I'm just saying I don't see it that way under these circumstances. As you've said, we just disagree. No problems there.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:
sunynp wrote:The down side for OP is doing anything that jeopardizes his chances to succeed at Dewey.

I think his chances to succeed have already been jeopardized. If DL stays afloat, I'd be surprised. If DL doesn't no-offer close to their entire SA class, I'd be shocked. It's probably not crazy to assume most of these current 2Ls with SAs will not be working at the firm post-graduation, especially if things continue to deteriorate.

I agree that the partner probably isn't in a position to help right now, and he may not be all that willing to help. But I really doubt he's going to call up his old firm and report this guy, and if the partner really liked the SA then he might empathize with his situation and give him some advice, maybe even keep him on the radar for down the road.

In any case, Dewey really need to keep going in circles on this one?

I similarly feel that there won't be Mudge concern on that part of this partner, but Yoss, it is definitely worth poaster's time to touch base.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:21 pm

Isn't partner@dewey.com the only e-mail address this future SA has? Doesn't anyone else see this as being highly problematic. Firms can access their employees e-mails and also probably turned his off by now.

I'm just trying to be helpful here but if I were Dewey I'd be monitoring his e-mails. I don't know if it is illegal in law firms but I can't see why it would be. Generally a corporation can monitor the e-mails of employees since they are done through corporate property. "Again just my understanding and not sure if accurate in this context."
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Isn't the only e-mail address this future SA has partner@dewey.com? Doesn't anyone else see this as being highly problematic. Firms can access their employees e-mails and also probably turned his off by now.

partner@wilkie.com?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Isn't partner@dewey.com the only e-mail address this future SA has? Doesn't anyone else see this as being highly problematic. Firms can access their employees e-mails and also probably turned his off by now.

I'm just trying to be helpful here but if I were Dewey I'd be monitoring his e-mails. I don't know if it is illegal in law firms but I can't see why it would be. Generally a corporation can monitor the e-mails of employees since they are done through corporate property. "Again just my understanding and not sure if accurate in this context."

his contact information won't be available at wilkie at all, amirite?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:29 pm

Guchster wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Isn't partner@dewey.com the only e-mail address this future SA has? Doesn't anyone else see this as being highly problematic. Firms can access their employees e-mails and also probably turned his off by now.

It isn't right now and the 2L was talking about finishing his draft with the apparent intent to send it soon. I meant my post more as a warning not to send it to Dewey. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Guchster wrote:

It isn't right now and the 2L was talking about finishing his draft with the apparent intent to send it soon. I meant my post more as a warning not to send it to Dewey. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

A very helpful warning.

OP, also make sure you wear pants to your job this summer. Just a general warning.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Guchster wrote:

A very helpful warning.

OP, also make sure you wear pants to your job this summer. Just a general warning.

LOL - I think OP doesn't need any more of my advice. Sorry if I went on about this too much. Just good luck, OP and all the other Dewey SAs. It sucks to be in this position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:56 pm

sub-OP here with the connection. Emailed the partner @willkie.com (in response to an email announcing the group's move to willkie).

the gist was just thank you for the notice, and asked for any advice b/c the news lately is concerning. Not really worried about anything getting back to dewey b/c (1) i didnt say anything bad and (2) emailed through willkie.

I asked if he had any advice. we'll see what he says, probably can't say anything other than the generic stuff. Ideally it would be good to meet up for some coffee and chat, not actually asking for anything but just soliciting his POV. as it is, he can't do anything now, but maybe next august he can.

In order of worst to best scenarios for DL SAs right now:
1-SA gets cancelled before it begins
2-SA sucks and everyone gets no offered
3-SA is OK and get an offer, but the firm goes under in the medium term

At least in the later two choices there is some opportunity to interview at 3L OCI with something to talk about. If we dont get a chance to do the SA at all, we'll all be really screwed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:sub-OP here with the connection. Emailed the partner @willkie.com (in response to an email announcing the group's move to willkie).

the gist was just thank you for the notice, and asked for any advice b/c the news lately is concerning. Not really worried about anything getting back to dewey b/c (1) i didnt say anything bad and (2) emailed through willkie.

I asked if he had any advice. we'll see what he says, probably can't say anything other than the generic stuff. Ideally it would be good to meet up for some coffee and chat, not actually asking for anything but just soliciting his POV. as it is, he can't do anything now, but maybe next august he can.

In order of worst to best scenarios for DL SAs right now:
1-SA gets cancelled before it begins
2-SA sucks and everyone gets no offered
3-SA is OK and get an offer, but the firm goes under in the medium term

At least in the later two choices there is some opportunity to interview at 3L OCI with something to talk about. If we dont get a chance to do the SA at all, we'll all be really screwed.

I prefer:
4-SA goes well, offer extended, and DL pulls itself together as other troubled firms have been able to do.

Here's another article, which shows more promise:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 10584.html

(edit - if link requires subscription, type "dewey reassure" into google news for full version)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I prefer:
4-SA goes well, offer extended, and DL pulls itself together as other troubled firms have been able to do.

Here's another article, which shows more promise:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 10584.html

I'm not rooting against Dewey here; I hope they survive, but which firms have suffered partner defections of 10%+ and survived? I found one from 2003 earlier and don't have the data to find firms systematically.

Return to “Legal Employment”