How to handle Dewey (or similar firms) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: How to handle Dewey (or similar firms)

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:48 pm

DrGuano wrote:All that aside, we're all following closely - for whatever your reasons, your interest is clearly piqued because it is fascinating. It's not perverse pleasure that I take interest.
Your unwarranted jackass statement two or three pages ago would say otherwise. I think we'd all love it if you'd kindly leave this thread.

Also, you can leave your homophobic comments at the door as well.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:55 pm

DrGuano wrote: Not true Tony Homo.

RUFUCKINGSRS?

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:
DrGuano wrote:All that aside, we're all following closely - for whatever your reasons, your interest is clearly piqued because it is fascinating. It's not perverse pleasure that I take interest.
Your unwarranted jackass statement two or three pages ago would say otherwise. I think we'd all love it if you'd kindly leave this thread.

So sensitive! You'd think someone who's been a fan of the least clutch QB ever who wilts under any sort of pressure could take a good ribbing.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:04 pm

What a bizarre thread. Predictable.

Anyway, "hold tight" is ludicrously bad advice. Dewey's partners obviously have no loyalty even to each other. They sure as shinola have none whatsoever for you.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:08 pm

DrGuano wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

So sensitive! You'd think someone who's been a fan of the least clutch QB ever who wilts under any sort of pressure could take a good ribbing.
Gay jokes =/ good ribbing. A good "ribbing" would have been insulting his team, his quarterback, whatever, not making a gay joke.

Come on now, we're supposed to be a fairly progressive profession, at least on the outside.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:19 pm

starchinkilt wrote:
sunynp wrote: edit: is Bienenstock teaching at Harvard this semester? http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/dire ... tml?id=459
he teaches at michigan in the fall and harvard in the spring every year - the same course.
Yup. He was a professor between working at Weil and working at Dewey. Almost wish I didn't take his class last year so I could take it this year. Wonder if any Harvard TLS'ers are taking it now.

If Dewey falls apart, you have to imagine that firms will be chomping at the bit to get some of these really big name, big book guys like Bienenstock and Kessler. I can see Bienenstock just going back to Weil or going back to teaching though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:35 pm

DrGuano wrote: I know NYU has helped out students with Dewey SAs find other jobs. Reach out to your Career Services Center ASAP. Get moving.
How do you know this? Any details?

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:50 pm

NinerFan wrote: Gay jokes =/ good ribbing. A good "ribbing" would have been insulting his team, his quarterback, whatever, not making a gay joke.

Come on now, we're supposed to be a fairly progressive profession, at least on the outside.
Yup.
Also, this is an on-topic thread. Decorum.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Dewey has officially cancelled the summer program. -Former Dewey SA

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dewey has officially cancelled the summer program. -Former Dewey SA
Was there an email or something?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:24 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dewey has officially cancelled the summer program. -Former Dewey SA
Can someone anon. post the e-mail?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Another former Dewey SA here and I can confirm this. I will not post the e-mail, I will share with the mod if she doesnt believe the anons.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Another former Dewey SA here and I can confirm this.
How do we know you're no the same person? Everyone is anonymous. Someone post the letter, or sent it to ATL, or both.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote: How do we know you're no the same person?
They're different people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:36 pm

Different SA here. F-off. It was cancelled. Why do we need to prove this to you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Different SA here. F-off. It was cancelled. Why do we need to prove this to you?
Because some of us are 3L's and haven't gotten an e-mail and are desperate for any communication we can get.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Different SA here. F-off. It was cancelled. Why do we need to prove this to you?
Because some of us are 3L's and haven't gotten an e-mail and are desperate for any communication we can get.
Sorry about that then. The email said nothing about 3Ls going forward.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:44 pm

former dewey sas at my school have been able to get multiple biglaw interviews

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry about that then. The email said nothing about 3Ls going forward.
Ah well, probably the same fate for us as well.

randomdandom

New

Post by randomdandom » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:46 pm

Another Dewey formerly-incoming summer here. I can confirm cancellation of the program. I will also not share the email, but am willing to talk to a moderator.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:50 pm

randomdandom wrote:Another Dewey formerly-incoming summer here. I can confirm cancellation of the program. I will also not share the email, but am willing to talk to a moderator.
I admire your sense of loyalty. If I were in the same position, I'd be blasting this to ATL. What have they done for you that deserves this loyalty? They screwed you guys over, plain and simple. According to some of the articles, they've been insolvent since November and still took on a summer class. Then they've waited weeks to do this until during finals. Plus, if everyone got the same e-mail they couldn't trace it...and who really cares if they did at this point.

I'm as loyal as they come when deserved. But in this case, screw them.

tips@abovethelaw.com
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:51 pm

was the program just canceled today?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:51 pm

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:52 pm

Condolences guys / gals.

I'd recommend immediately (like, before COB) emailing the recruiting director of literally every major law firm in NYC with a cover letter quickly describing your situation and a current resume. You can get the emails off of the NALP directory and have it done inside an hour I bet.

Summer classes can be under-enrolled due to either low yield or increased demand since the fall; all it takes is one bite and there's nothing to lose at this point. Firms won't be oblivious to the good PR they'll get in the legal community - and amongst career services offices / next year's potential recruits - if they're at all in a position to lend a hand right now.

Also get in touch with your career services office (either for the first time or with the concrete update). This is a unique and unfortunate situation, they might be able to call in favors on an individual level they couldn't have when you all were just another 2L applicant in the fall.

I highly doubt there's anything I can do to help as a random 3L on the internet, but if there is something don't hesitate to drop me a PM.

angrybird

Bronze

Post by angrybird » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:56 pm

f7u12 wrote:I don't understand the weird sense of loyalty these former SAs have to a firm that utterly fucked them over.
stockholm syndrome?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”