HOPE FOR JOBLESS 2Ls

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

HOPE FOR JOBLESS 2Ls

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:49 pm

I just received an offer from a midsized firm (boutique in a special practice area - that i have no experience in) - 100K a year and prorated salary for the summer.

This is not to brag believe me. This is to say that if you work hard enough, something could happen. I went through OCI and had like 7 CBs. I applied to every single firm in my area (and neighboring state).

2L at TT.

Anonymous User

Re: HOPE FOR JOBLESS 2Ls

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:53 pm

class rank?

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:class rank?

School ranking, generally? Ties? etc...

All of this stuff matters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Geetar Man wrote:

Top 15%. Firm is in city I live in and go to school in. School is a low TT in a saturated market. Yes, i realize in a good economy or a better school, i would have been in a V50. But nonetheless, its march and I got a pretty decent paying job. I don't think this would have happened without hard work. Legit applying to every single firm that exists lol.

Really just wanted to tell people to still try. Martindale and Resumelaunchpad are great for finding firms.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:

Top 15%. Firm is in city I live in and go to school in. School is a low TT in a saturated market. Yes, i realize in a good economy or a better school, i would have been in a V50. But nonetheless, its march and I got a pretty decent paying job. I don't think this would have happened without hard work. Legit applying to every single firm that exists lol.

Really just wanted to tell people to still try. Martindale and Resumelaunchpad are great for finding firms.

That's awesome! Congrats!

*edit, I hope I'm not getting trolled lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:04 pm

OP,

What method did you find most useful during your search? Did you get more responses from mass mailing, informational interviews, your law school career website, or resume drop-offs?

what was your approach for targeting the firm you just got an offer from? thanks and congrats : )

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:09 pm

WE/IP/URM? Market size/Insularity?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP,

What method did you find most useful during your search? Did you get more responses from mass mailing, informational interviews, your law school career website, or resume drop-offs?

what was your approach for targeting the firm you just got an offer from? thanks and congrats : )

I would be most interested in knowing this as well.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:16 pm

FWIW, one of my buddies graduated last year from a TTTT. After several months of unemployment, he was hired a few weeks ago by one of the big firms in my secondary market.

(Note: He was IP. But he was still coming out of a TTTT with nothing lined up, no valuable work experience, and shooting for a market where new associate positions aren't exactly plentiful. So it can be done).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:31 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:WE/IP/URM? Market size/Insularity?

2yr WE paralegal, nothing special, but i did do actual legal work and am able to portray that well during interviews. Not IP, and im a white male. ... insularity?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP,

I would be most interested in knowing this as well.

Contacting Alum at different firms is where i got the best responses. I also started applying in July and sent follow ups, etc etc. I got many interviews that I shouldn't have got. This firm was by contacting an alum and asking if they had a SA program.

ETA: i also became an interviewer killer. after 20 or so of them, that happens...

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:WE/IP/URM? Market size/Insularity?

2yr WE paralegal, nothing special, but i did do actual legal work and am able to portray that well during interviews. Not IP, and im a white male. ... insularity?

How insular is the job market (is it like Delaware, Boston, Denver, or Philly) or is it at least possible for non-natives (St.Louis, Ohio, Seattle/Portland, or Richmond)? Even if you didn't have personal ties, was it near your school? Also, congrats for pulling it off.

Return to “Legal Employment”