B, B, B-

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

B, B, B-

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:20 pm

those were my grades first semester of 2L. I have a 2L biglaw summer associateship lined up in a secondary market. My grade weren't great when I got the offer, but the sub-3.0 gpa from last semester has me freaking out a bit.. Obviously I will try to bring up my gpa this semester, but my question to you all is:

Assuming my grade are no lower than straight B's this semester, what are the chances (in %) that I don't get a job offer through the firm because of my grades if i produce decent work?

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: B, B, B-

Postby ran12 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:29 pm

If you do a good job over the summer, end up being relatively sociable and generally not an ass to be around, I don't think the firm would no offer you b/c of grades. It's not like there's any extra prestige coming from hiring associates with higher GPAs. I guess some clients might care if you graduated with honors or where you went to school but those clients are just stupid. The only thing that should matter is your ability to get the job done. Legal work and success in the field are different from beating a law school test and any firm that would no offer you based solely on grades is not a firm worth working for.

Morgan12Oak
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:59 am

Re: B, B, B-

Postby Morgan12Oak » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:30 pm

this has been answered before, but if you're too lazy to go back i'll just sum it up for you real quick. a pretty useful equation is your chance of an offer is equal to:

1 - (1L GPA - 2L GPA)

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: B, B, B-

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:33 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:this has been answered before, but if you're too lazy to go back i'll just sum it up for you real quick. a pretty useful equation is your chance of an offer is equal to:

1 - (1L GPA - 2L GPA) your ability to do good work during the summer, act like a normal person in social situations, and not piss anyone off


FTFY

Also, these OMG my grades dropped am I going to get no-offered need to stop.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: B, B, B-

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:those were my grades first semester of 2L. I have a 2L biglaw summer associateship lined up in a secondary market. My grade weren't great when I got the offer, but the sub-3.0 gpa from last semester has me freaking out a bit.. Obviously I will try to bring up my gpa this semester, but my question to you all is:

Assuming my grade are no lower than straight B's this semester, what are the chances (in %) that I don't get a job offer through the firm because of my grades if i produce decent work?

how big is the drop?

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: B, B, B-

Postby monkey85 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:37 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:Also, these OMG my grades dropped am I going to get no-offered need to stop.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: B, B, B-

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:38 am

Likely won't matter at all, even if the grade drop was big because you can bring them up this semester. Doesn't matter if the drop was big if you can clearly show that it was just one bad semester, and not the start of a trend. So really buckle down and improve this semester. It will almost certainly come down to the work you do this summer, your personality, how well you "fit" with the firm, etc. If you are entirely borderline, then bad grades could push you over the edge, but if you improve this semester, then it won't work against you. So don't worry.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: B, B, B-

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:43 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:this has been answered before, but if you're too lazy to go back i'll just sum it up for you real quick. a pretty useful equation is your chance of an offer is equal to:

1 - (1L GPA - 2L GPA) your ability to do good work during the summer, act like a normal person in social situations, and not piss anyone off


FTFY

Also, these OMG my grades dropped am I going to get no-offered need to stop.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.