2L at T2 - struck out at OCI, what now? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L at T2 - struck out at OCI, what now?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:15 am

Hey everyone, the topic pretty much sums up my situation. I went through OCI and struck out. I got some screening interviews but only one call back. lately i've been feeling really stressed out and discouraged about what i will do with my summer. So far i've tried to put myself in the best situation to land a job: top 10%, law review editor, judicial externship last summer, info interviews, resume drop-offs, etc.

is there anything else i can do? it seems like no one is hiring or taking on volunteers at all. is this normal for this time of year? I am targeting small and mid sized firms. am i too early or too late?

flem

Diamond

Re: 2L at T2 - struck out at OCI, what now?

Post by flem » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone, the topic pretty much sums up my situation. I went through OCI and struck out. I got some screening interviews but only one call back. lately i've been feeling really stressed out and discouraged about what i will do with my summer. So far i've tried to put myself in the best situation to land a job: top 10%, law review editor, judicial externship last summer, info interviews, resume drop-offs, etc.

is there anything else i can do? it seems like no one is hiring or taking on volunteers at all. is this normal for this time of year? I am targeting small and mid sized firms. am i too early or too late?
Christ, what market are you in?

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone, the topic pretty much sums up my situation. I went through OCI and struck out. I got some screening interviews but only one call back. lately i've been feeling really stressed out and discouraged about what i will do with my summer. So far i've tried to put myself in the best situation to land a job: top 10%, law review editor, judicial externship last summer, info interviews, resume drop-offs, etc.

While opportunities are fewer, there are some small firms that will be looking for the next few months. Expect pretty stiff competition though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:58 pm

OP here. id say I go to school in a large metro area. do small and mid sized firms have a hiring schedule like big law? is it now or later in the spring? is it even usual them to hire inters? I talked to a partner last week and he said his firm won't have any intrns this summer because there won't be enough projects to keep an intern busy with...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. id say I go to school in a large metro area. do small and mid sized firms have a hiring schedule like big law? is it now or later in the spring? is it even usual them to hire inters? I talked to a partner last week and he said his firm won't have any intrns this summer because there won't be enough projects to keep an intern busy with...

In my area I have noticed that small and midsized firms don't seem to hire until late March/early April. One small firm told me not to send my resume yet since they were likely to lose it before they made a decision.

Maybe that is what is going on with you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:02 pm

OP again. hmm thanks. it sort of a relief to hear that hiring might not pick up until march and april. i guess i'm just freaking out because last year i had secured a summer gig early on. seems like the best thing i can do now is to continue meeting some attorneys at small/mid sized firsm, so, when the door does open up, i'll have at least a toe in the door.

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:53 am

Hit the bricks hard. Small and mid size firms are not NALP members and they sometimes hire what the like without going through a big process. March and April are the big months.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:05 pm

Start thinking about alternative careers. Once you strike out at OCI, you end up in the slop with everyone else. Grades matter less than sheer force of personality, connections and networking ability. If you are good at that stuff, you might be OK. I'm not that kind of guy and realize it, so I made alternative arrangements.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”